Seriously No Politics ×

Hi, I'M A New Member Of The Board.

Hi

I’m a new member to the board, and just wanted to introduce myself. I live in the UK, and I’ve been a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints for most of my life; with odd spells of inactivity over those years, though I’ve never lost my testimony of the Church, the Book of Mormon, or the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

I’ve held callings on EQ Presidencies, teaching callings in Priesthood, Gospel Principles and Gospel Doctrine classes. At the moment I’m mercifully free from callings as I’ve had two years of very bad health which have left me disabled, and usually too ill to attend Sunday meetings.

Because of my disability I’ve had a lot of free time on my hands, which I usually fill with studying the scriptures, and other religious materials.

I’m very happy with my religious beliefs, and have not found any arguments against the Church to be persuasive enough to make me feel otherwise. I am a member of the Church because I know for myself that it and its doctrines are true. I’m the only active member of my family, and almost all of my friends are not members of the Church; or any Church for that matter. So I don't have any cultural pressure to be a member of the Church.

I’m here on this board to make friends with LDS and non-LDS people, and maybe make a comment or two on any subjects that come up on the board.

I hope to have fun here.

Hi

I’m a new member to the board, and just wanted to introduce myself. I live in the UK, and I’ve been a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints for most of my life; with odd spells of inactivity over those years, though I’ve never lost my testimony of the Church, the Book of Mormon, or the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

I’ve held callings on EQ Presidencies, teaching callings in Priesthood, Gospel Principles and Gospel Doctrine classes. At the moment I’m mercifully free from callings as I’ve had two years of very bad health which have left me disabled, and usually too ill to attend Sunday meetings.

Because of my disability I’ve had a lot of free time on my hands, which I usually fill with studying the scriptures, and other religious materials.

I’m very happy with my religious beliefs, and have not found any arguments against the Church to be persuasive enough to make me feel otherwise. I am a member of the Church because I know for myself that it and its doctrines are true. I’m the only active member of my family, and almost all of my friends are not members of the Church; or any Church for that matter. So I don't have any cultural pressure to be a member of the Church.

I’m here on this board to make friends with LDS and non-LDS people, and maybe make a comment or two on any subjects that come up on the board.

I hope to have fun here.

Welcome from the great State of Georgia, hope you have fun too.

Glad to have you aboard. Fair warning, from time to time you might want to put on your asbestos suit, especially in the General Discussions area. It can get a bit rough in there from time to time, though I think that is true of any internet forum.

Hello from Ireland. Nice to see another person from this side of the world here :)

Robert B. (long-time lurker; sporadic poster)

Hello from Ireland. Nice to see another person from this side of the world here :)

Robert B. (long-time lurker; sporadic poster)

Land of my forefathers...I would love to see it one day and Scotland from my mom's side. My wife's family left Whales in the 1700's for America.

I forgot to ask where in the UK...I spent a week in London serving at the Temple back in 1981. Preston I believe it was...

I'm in the Birmingham Stake.

Preston Temple wasn't built until 1998, it's my assigned temple, and it looks really beautful, when it's not raining of course. Which it almost always is when I go up there, lol.

Hello HairBair...

Welcome from the beautiful central Oregon coast... the Pacific Northwest...

This is a good place and you'll enjoy it I'm sure, and will soon figure out who is who. We have some critics who post here, some really likeable, some no so... but that's people, and the mods keep things going so they don't get out of hand.

My husband and I had a wonderful 3-week trip in 1986 to the British Isles that wasn't nearly enough time. Arrived in London, rented a car at Heathrow (that was an experience, getting used to the right-side drive and driving on the "wrong" side of the street (to us). We got out on the highway heading into London and grovelled along going 70 mph in the slow lane while other cars whizzed past us. Whew!

We spent 3 days in London, then headed out to Wales, then over to Ireland by ferry (kissed the Blarney Stone etc etc) and back to Wales, headed up to Scotland (hubby played St. Andrews), then down to the Cottswold country (Stratford-on-Avon, and spending a couple days in Stow-on-the-Wold), then back to London for two more days... loved every country... amazing to stand in William the Conqueror's castle from 1066, and other historical cathedrals and castles including London Tower. Whenever there was a display of armor, we were struck by how small the men were, evidenced also by the short doorways. It seems very few of the people exceeded about 5'7" or 5'8". Someone 6 foot would have been unusually tall.

One of our favorite things was how there were individual shops vs a large supermarket. We would go to the bakery and get these deliciouos rolls, then to the green grocer's and get apples for our munchies while we drove along. I liked how there was also the butcher and the chemist (pharmacy).

All in all, it was a trip that we cherished and every now and then I look at all of our pictures. What wonderful memories.

Again, welcome from this old widow woman who lives in a cottage-by-the-sea with a pushy cat named Bob...

GG

I'm in the Birmingham Stake.

Are you a Brummie, or does the stake cover more than that?

Preston Temple wasn't built until 1998, it's my assigned temple, and it looks really beautful, when it's not raining of course. Which it almost always is when I go up there, lol.

Personally, I think that grey stone looks striking in the rain, but it does have an amazing quality that can't be conveyed by words or camera.

Welcome HairBear from sunny Utah!

I would LOVE to go to the UK someday! Its the land of my ancestors on my fathers side. :) I have many friends in England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales! So if I ever do get over the pond, I have a place to stay and friends to show their beautiful country!

I, too, am the only member of my family. I doubt any of them will join in this life....but I have done a lot of temple work for my immediate family members over the past year and half and I hope they all accepted the gospel so I won't be alone up there! LOL

Red

HairBear,

Welcome back to the fold, and welcome to the Board. Necessity of a thick skin notwithstanding, this place rarely gets boring.

RBoylan,

You should drop out of lurk mode more often; I can't think of a time when I haven't found value in your comments. :)

Garden Girl,

Remember: No matter how "old" you get, life still is simply the childhood of your immortality. ;)

Red,

I'm confident you won't be alone. I rather think you'll be surprised at how many people rise up and call you blessed.

And to everyone else, hello.

Edited by Kenngo1969

Hi

I hope to have fun here.

Welcome

Welcome HairBair,

I was impressed by your opening post. Welcome to the board. I'm from southern Utah, nearby many of the National Parks where one can see the red rock artwork of the angels.

I have just started a blog wherein I will frequently opine about the supernal wonders of the landscapes in my corner of the world: Imetatron

I would also be pleased to hear you describe the place you live.

Edited by William Schryver

Welcome HairBair,

I was impressed by your opening post. Welcome to the board. I'm from southern Utah, nearby many of the National Parks where one can see the red rock artwork of the angels.

I have just started a blog wherein I will frequently opine about the supernal wonders of the landscapes in my corner of the world: Imetatron

I would also be pleased to hear you describe the place you live.

I don't know how I would describe where I live, but I've heard others call the small town God's Waiting Room :)

I don't know how I would describe where I live, but I've heard others call the small town God's Waiting Room :)

Please do post some photos!

I have a friend in England who is an artist. He lives in Richmond, North Yorkshire. His name is Brian Pike.

Here is his website: Brian Pike, Artist

Here is some of his work:

picwaysofliving.jpg

"Ways of Living"

picrobotwith.jpg

"Robot With an Umbrella"

picpencilrunning.jpg

"Pencil Running Off"

picleapoffaith.jpg

"Leap of Faith"

I don't actually have any photos of where I live. And anyway, it's no where near as beautiful as Utah.

Utah sure is beautiful, but I must say that the U.K. has some gorgeous scenery itself, with the added benefit of Authentic castles, not gigantic houses being built along the mounatins that ruin the view.

... gigantic houses being built along the mounatins that ruin the view.

Ain't that the truth!

As much as I love the Wasatch Front, I had to get out of there back in 1994. For my money (and sanity) I'll take the Parowan/Cedar City/New Harmony area over the megalopolis from Brigham City to Payson.

I could, possibly, live in the Santaquin area, but why would I want to get any further from Zion, Capitol Reef, and the Escalante area?

Speaking of Capitol Reef (very likely the most under-appreciated of all the National Parks in America), I think I'll blog about it and start posting some photos of the park and also the area between Bryce Canyon and Capitol Reef (Grand Staircase/Escalante National Monument area).

Here's a few to whet your appetite. I'll come back and post a link to my blog post as soon as it's up.

Capitol-Reef-August-2009_01.jpg

WRS_Capitol-Reef-August-200.jpg

WRS-Capitol-Reef-Aug2009_80.jpg

WRS-Capitol-Reef-Aug2009c_8.jpg

Utah is beautiful. Is Escalante in Southern Utah? I think we drove through that area. I remember seeing signs for it, when my husband and I were looking at property in Kanab.

Nice pictures. Is that you, in the pictures? I like that last one. You look somewhat like an Egyptian out in the desert. :)

Welcome!! So far, I think this board is great. I came here to learn about LDS beliefs. People here are quite friendly and patient. I have stopped by other boards for similar reasons and did not stay longer than 10 mins as it appeared to be very toxic. Hope you enjoy your time here!