Seriously No Politics ×

Animal Lovers Incorporated :)

Libs

A place to share about your pets and/or love of animals.

What kind of pets do you have? Do you have some favorite animals or favorite animal stories? Favorite pics?

Post them here.

Garden Girl, I took this from Log's thread, and brought it here, so as not to disrupt his thread. (Hope you don't mind?)

Me too, Libs... My Bob weighs in at 20 lbs and he is a real beauty. So smart too.

That is one huge cat! Wow. Do you have a picture of him?

I am a huge cat lover, but am actually "catless" at the moment. I had two black cats, Boo and Squeeks, whom we have lost just recently. Boo was hit by a car about a year ago. He was an inside/outside cat (both of our cats were) and we had him for eight years, with no incident, and then suddenly, he was gone. We found out from a neighbor that he had been hit by a car. We were devastated. Then, last year, our Squeeks, who was 12 years old, just disappeared. I think she may have gone off somewhere to die (she was old...but, in good health as far as I knew). I just hate not knowing what happened to her. We tried the pound, we put up signs, we asked neighbors...nothing. It's like she disappeared into thin air. Very sad. :sad: I haven't been able to think about getting another cat, yet. We do have a dog, a male Pekingnese named Cody. So, I am not completely "animal-less". Love him to pieces, as well. :)

Edited by Libs

A place to share about your pets and/or love of animals.

What kind of pets do you have? Do you have some favorite animals or favorite animal stories? Favorite pics?

Post them here.

Two dogs...AKC registered Golden Retriever named, Scarlet O'Hara "Lee" and one mutt named Ace.

I love animals! I've had four dogs in my life. The first was a yellow labrador (with a mix of some other breeds) named C.J., who we had for a couple weeks when I was about 11 or 12, but we had to take him to the pound because he didn't like anyone except my mom (he would growl at my dad when he would approach my mom, and he even snapped at my brother once -- no bueno). We then got a black labrador named Shotgun (my brother named him, don't ask LOL), who we had to sell after a couple months because he was much too energetic and difficult to take care of. A few years later we got another black labrador named Bailey. She was the best, and was honestly a member of our family. We also got a yellow lab puppy named Molly for awhile, but we sold her because I guess having two dogs was a bit much. But Bailey was the dog for us. Unfortunately, her health started to deteriorate -- when she was about eight or nine years old, she began going deaf and having hip problems (and she was also a bit overweight, which is never good for a dog, especially for an athletic dog like a labrador), so we had to take her to the pound, where they put her down. It was pretty hard on all of us, especially my two little sisters. We had her for six or seven years.

So, yeah, I'm a dog person. Labradors are my favorite (and I think pugs are awesome too, even though most small dogs usually annoy me). I'm also pretty obsessed with watching videos of puppies on YouTube. Not the manliest thing in the world, but hey, every man has that sensitive side. And puppies bring out mine LMAO. :D

Also, right now I have a betta fish named Captain America.

Edited by altersteve

That is a great name for a dog.

He got the name because he'd take off like a bullet when we let him off the leash. Again, my brother named him. I agree, though, it was a great name haha.

Evolution has produced the "perfect pet", which we are proud to own. Some call them Dachshunds, ours goes by the title of Wrinkles the Wonder Wiener Dog.

lol.....I think he meant breeds. :)

Someone mentioned pugs, as a favorite. My step son and his family just got a pug puppy and have to say he is the cutest little thing! They named him Pugsley. Probably not terribly original, but it fits.

We have a siamese mix cat named steve. He's dopey but we love him. :)

Oldest also has a guinea pig named merlin. He's a real sweetheart.

I had two Siamese (male and female), many years ago. They are so smart! I taught mine to fetch, just like a dog, and they loved it! They were also leash trained and loved going for walks. Another uniqueness was that they actually liked water! My female, especially, would get right in the tub with me...and also would follow me out into the ocean! I have pics of that, somewhere. Really neat cats! Sadly, both long gone.

Edited by Libs

I had two Siamese (male and female), many years ago. They are so smart! I taught mine to fetch, just like a dog, and they loved it! They were also leash trained and loved going for walks. Another uniqueness was that they actually liked water! My female, especially, would get right in the tub with me...and also would follow me out into the ocean! I have pics of that, somewhere. Really neat cats! Sadly, both long gone.

We adore steve, but he's not the smartest thing. He's so cute though you can't help but love him.

He sits in our big picture window on top of our piano and there are some ladies in the neighborhood who always wave to him when they walk by and whenever i'm outside and they are out they tell me how pretty he is. He's goofy looking too though. He's got huge bright blue eyes and most of the time they are crossed! Especially when he's concentrating on something.

My wife and I are cat people. Until just the other day we had two cats. Pippin, and Strips. Pippin died of old age 17 years. Strips is 5 years old so we expect many more years hijinks and kitty treats.

I'm going to try to figure out how to post a picture of Bob... you all don't want to get me started about Bob...Ha! How smart, beautiful, etc. Yes, he is a big cat... from his head to the end of his back where it meets the tail is 25". I have to search to find cat "trees" big enough for him. I finally found a 3-tier with 25" tiers... the top is circular and he can barely fit in it but he loves it. Bob is white with black irregular patches (picture a pinto pony and that's the type of coloring). His eyes are amber. He is really beautiful... I got him from the shelter when he was about a year old, and can't believe I lucked out with such a gentle, loving animal.

There's something about living one-on-one with a cat/dog that allows a closeness where communication is really obvious. When Bob's dish is empty and he wants me to fill it, he'll meow a certain way just boring his eyes into me, and grabbing my arm gently but firmly with his paws if necessary. I say... Okay... and he heads for his dish.

Every morning he comes in and wakes me up between 5:45 and 6:00. I tell him... Baaabbbb... it's too early... but every morning it is like clockwork. He pesters me, meowing and butting me with his head until I give in and I say... Okayyyy... and he knows he's won. I stumble out of bed and he follows along beside me to the window to open the blinds, then runs ahead of me to the bathroom, then jumps up on the counter and sits right beside me as I brush my teeth. When I finish, he jumps down and runs ahead of me, pausing to look over his shoulder and be sure I'm coming... waits while I turn off the alarm... then runs down the hall to the kitchen and sits by his dish. That is our routine to start every morning. He's an indoor cat and must have always been indoors as he makes no indication whatsoever that he wants out, and I worry that living with just me might be boring since I rarely have company (he loves it when the home teachers come). Fortunately there are lots of windows with wide sills that he sits in, watching the birds and critters in the pines and other trees.

See what I mean! I could talk about Bob until your eyes glazed over... :)

GG

GG, I loved your description of Bob! He sounds like a treasure! :) Sounds like he has beautiful markings, as well. How old is he?

SS, that is unusual for a cat! They usually run for the hills, when kids are around...ours always did, anyway. My dog, however, absolutely loves kids, and will allow them to do most anything with him. I worry, sometimes, because he doesn't protect himself from the grandkids, when he really should (as the babies are poking at his eyes, etc! lol)..

GG, I loved your description of Bob! He sounds like a treasure! :) Sounds like he has beautiful markings, as well. How old is he?

SS, that is unusual for a cat! They usually run for the hills, when kids are around...ours always did, anyway. My dog, however, absolutely loves kids, and will allow them to do most anything with him. I worry, sometimes, because he doesn't protect himself from the grandkids, when he really should (as the babies are poking at his eyes, etc! lol)..

Dogs get depressed if not around people. People own dogs...cats have staff.

Bob is about 3 yrs old... I've had him two years...

GG

Evolution has produced the "perfect pet", which we are proud to own. Some call them Dachshunds, ours goes by the title of Wrinkles the Wonder Wiener Dog.

I like pets especally dogs, cats not so much. Outside cats are fine but house cats no. We have a minature dachshund. Max about 6 years old and is my wifes best buddy. In fact he spends most of his time on her lap. We do have an outside cat that spends most of his time in our yard, thanks to some neighbors that moved a couple of years ago and left him. My son-in-law feed and waters him and Max.

We adore steve, but he's not the smartest thing. He's so cute though you can't help but love him.

He sits in our big picture window on top of our piano and there are some ladies in the neighborhood who always wave to him when they walk by and whenever i'm outside and they are out they tell me how pretty he is. He's goofy looking too though. He's got huge bright blue eyes and most of the time they are crossed! Especially when he's concentrating on something.

Awww, that's sweet. That cross-eyed thing seems to be a trait of Siamese, especially pure bred...also the blue eyes. They are beautiful cats.

Awww, that's sweet. That cross-eyed thing seems to be a trait of Siamese, especially pure bred...also the blue eyes. They are beautiful cats.

One of my daughters had a Siameese cat once. It made the most irritating noise.

Yes, Siamese have a very distinctive meow, as well. Usually, quite loud. :)