Seriously No Politics ×

Ideas For Talk Please

I have to give a talk sunday.....exciting, anyway, my topic is "love of God" anyone want to throw some ideas at me, this would be my absolute worst topic

thanks for any assistance you can provide

Curtis

I don't ask any of the following questions to provoke any sort of public disclosure. To the best of my knowledge, you've never met anyone who participates on this board in real life, so such disclosure might not be appropriate (although speaking for myself, I do consider many of these people to be friends, even though we've never met face-to-face). These questions are simply intended to get you thinking about the topic (and perhaps to look in the mirror, if that would be helpful). Other people can certainly provide you with reasons why they believe God loves them, but the question I have is whether any of those reasons would (or should) be of use to you. Do you believe God loves you? Why or why not? I'm sure you love your child. Why is that? Do you think that love is in any way similar to (or different) from the way God loves you? Why or why not?

Edited by Kenngo1969

I have to give a talk sunday.....exciting, anyway, my topic is "love of God" anyone want to throw some ideas at me, this would be my absolute worst topic

Curtis

Here is a great poem…

What God Hath Promised

God hath not promised

Skies always blue,

Flower-strewn pathways

All out lives through;

God hath not promised

Sun without rain,

Joy without sorrow,

Peace without pain.

But God hath promised

Strength for the day,

Rest for the labor,

Light for the way,

Grace for the trials,

Help from above,

Unfailing sympathy,

Undying love.

Annie Johnson Flint

It’s Mother’s Day…throw this in about Mothers.

When My Mother Prays

When my mother prays

Angels take their flight.

To guard my way by day,

To protect me in the night.

When I forget in whom I trust

And bow on bended knee,

There is one who won't forget

To plead my case to Thee.

In darkness I have walked

Not knowing well the cost.

A voice was heard on high

Before my soul was lost.

In sickness and in health

Circumstances tho' they be,

My name Thou can't forget

When my Mother prays for me.

In the purest form of love

Her prayers for me are heard.

In language known to angels,

In the simple spoken word.

And yet these words ascend

To Thy throne exalted high.

Request for promised blessings

Which Thou cannot deny.

Blessed is her name,

Her devotion knows no bounds.

In her quit secret place

On her knees she will be found.

With courage, I will face

The trials of coming days.

The heavens shake for my good

When my Mother prays.

(William E. Lee)

Copyright 1995

Big topic, just narrow it down…you will do fine.

Curtis

Hello Curtis...

Let me share a personal experience with you...

A number of years ago I received a call from the Portland OR temple president's office asking that I come in for a meeting. My suspicion was that they were going to call me as an ordinance worker (which turned out to be correct, and I served for almost six years every Friday).

When I met with the temple president, he interviewed me and asked if I would be willing to accept a call, and I said yes. We had a very good meeting and nice conversation. I was honored and humbled... as I left his office and walked across this open room toward the women's dressing room as I wanted to do a session, I was filled with love... a deep love... for everyone that I saw. This love went to my depths... I had no idea I was capable of such deep love. This deep love filled me completely as I looked at the patrons.

I believe this experience was a gift to me from a loving Heavenly Father... to give me just a glimpse of the love that He has for all of us as his children. And I believe it was given so that I could feel love for my sisters as I served them and performed the sacred ordinances.

GG

Edited by Garden Girl

You can also speak of the love of God using the example Enoch had regarding "You abide in me and I in you, therefore walk with me."

It is the message of how God's loves us so much, he calls us all to walk with him, even more to abide with him (even threw the valley of the shadow of doubt-as we marvel at how he sets a table for us in front of our enemies-23rd Psalm).