Seriously No Politics ×

Any Inspiring Books

Sgt Nibley, Phd. or Hugh Nibley: A Consecrated Life

One Eternal Round

Temple Theology: An Introduction by Margaret Barker or Temple Mysticism

Why the Church is as True as the Gospel by Eugene England

Illuminating the Sermon at the Temple and the Sermon on the Mount by John W. Welch

Bountiful Harvest: Essays in Honor of S. Kent Brown, recently out.

Kevin Christensen

Bethel Park, PA

"Yearning for the Living God" F. Enzio Busche

"Out of the Killing Fields Into the Light" Penne D. Conrad

Also, Gerald Lund has written several good books lately

"In Quiet Desparation" Matai and Madsen --- the middle part is the the best practical depiction of the atonement I've ever read (with the possible, though not sure, exception of "Believing Christ").

If it doesn't have to be specifically LDS, Revelations of Divine Love by Julian of Norwich is quite beautiful. She was a Christian mystic who wrote around the turn of the thirteenth century.

One favorite passage:

We are his joy, we are his reward, we are his glory, we are his crown--and this was a special marvel and fulfilling vision, that we should be his crown.

She reports that were it possible, Christ would suffer the atonement every day for us and count it but joy due to his love for us.

She reports that were it possible, Christ would suffer the atonement every day for us and count it but joy due to his love for us.
This is a lovely thought and I do think it captures the true feeling of his love for us, but I also view Christ as a practical person and don't see him choosing to suffer for us for the sole purpose of showing us he loves us. He'd much rather be spending time with us enjoying each others' company and in doing thing that promote pure joy in my view....

Now if we truly needed him to suffer the atonement every day, I think he would be willing to do so and would do it with joy (though he would also experience the sorrow and pain he suffered in Gethsemane where he asked if the cup could be passed from him)....but not just to prove a point even if that point is his love.

PS: I have had friends and relatives who have suffered just to show someone they love them, not because they really had to....it places a burden on the loved one that should not be placed...they feel they are the cause of the suffering, which accomplishes nothing truly of value. My grandmother used to bring over apple pie for the family along with an extensive description of the pain she suffered to produce it due to her arthritis....I did not enjoy eating the pie all that much myself, as delicious as it was. Of course not everyone who suffers in this way makes a big deal of it to those they are suffering for. However, this should explain why I am bothering to make this comment, I tend to have a bit of an obsession about people choosing to suffer unnecessarily because of my experiences with this type of person and the unnecessary guilt they put on me through their actions, intentionally or not.

Edited by calmoriah

The last few books that I have read have been secular. However, if you are interested in some really great historical books I recommend these: "The River of Doubt" by Candice Millard is an outstanding of account of Theodore Roosevelt's journey down the Amazon to explore the unrecorded river Doubt. "The Greater Journey - Americans in Paris" by David McCullough. A very good read about all the Americans that used to study in Paris before they became famous writers, painters, etc. "Bonnhoeffer - Pastor, Martyr, Prophet, Spy" by Eric Metaxas. A gripping account of Bonhoeffer's experience during WWII; what a great man he was!

If you do read them let me know what you thought.