Seriously No Politics ×

Book Of Mormon Online Translators

Hi everyone, I run The Book of Mormon Online and I'm currently expanding it to support foreign languages.

I'm looking for a few volunteers who are bilingual who would be willing to help out with some translation at your own pace. It's a chance to experience the scriptures from a new perspective, and will be helpful to many non-english speakers. The languages currently in need are:

• Spanish
  • French
  • German
  • Dutch
  • Russian
  • Portugese
  • Tagalog
  • Thai
  • Korean
  • Japanese
  • Chinese

If you speak one of these and would like to help out, please have a look at these video tutorials to see what the workflow is like:

If you are interested in helping out, please contact me at mail@bookofmormononline.net and I'll get you a translator account.

Thanks!

http://bookofmormononline.net/#/about

Where do the summaries of the segments come from?

The claim that you intend to reveal the "full context" of the text is rather grandiose, don't you think?

Also did you get permission to use the currently copyrighted text from the Church (use of the whole text as opposed to just part of it may be a violation of the Fair Use law or whatever it is called)?

The maps of the various theories are quite interesting to compare, but am wondering again if you might get into trouble with some of the authors who are territorial over their work.

Edited by calmoriah
  • 2 weeks later...

The claim that you intend to reveal the "full context" of the text is rather grandiose, don't you think?

Good spot Calmoriah! I'll add one more, no one should contribute to this project until the author gives a statement on what his relationship is (past or current) with Nemelka (including any of his writings).

Good spot Calmoriah! I'll add one more, no one should contribute to this project until the author gives a statement on what his relationship is (past or current) with Nemelka (including any of his writings).

Are you assuming he has a relationship, past or present, with Nemelka? I didn't read the site that well, just the "about" segment and clicked on the maps. What leads you to ask this of him?

Okay. I will restrain my curiosity.

However he has not be back to respond to my questions for a week or so, so I not going to hold my breath while letting it ride.

Edited by calmoriah

I wrote them.

Perhaps that should be qualified by 'narrative' context. I'll let you be the judge as to its grandiosity after you spend enough time with the site to make an informed assessment.

Also did you get permission to use the currently copyrighted text from the Church (use of the whole text as opposed to just part of it may be a violation of the Fair Use law or whatever it is called)

Scriptural text was obtained from http://scriptures.nephi.org. Copyrighted footnotes and supplement is not included. Other material original unless otherwise cited.

The maps of the various theories are quite interesting to compare, but am wondering again if you might get into trouble with some of the authors who are territorial over their work.

The maps are my own creations. I do not feel threatened by authors who may have advanced some of the theories, many of whom I have interacted with.

As an almost quatrilingual speaker, including Russian,I really don't what new perspective I'll gain, especially when there currently is an (admittedly imperfect) Russian translation.

I don't think you watched the explanatory videos. I am not enlisting people, to re-translate the BoM text, including Russian.

I'll add one more, no one should contribute to this project until the author gives a statement on what his relationship is (past or current) with Nemelka (including any of his writings).

I have no connection to Namelka nor do I endorse his writings. Some years ago, there was a blog on this site, and Namelka's publicist threadjacked one post and made extensive comments on it. The blog has since been retired.

I have no connection to Namelka nor do I endorse his writings. Some years ago, there was a blog on this site, and Namelka's publicist threadjacked one post and made extensive comments on it. The blog has since been retired.

Who was the moderator?

Who was the moderator?

I was. I didn't spend much time moderating (it was a very small an inconsequential blog) and I had no censorship policy other than for spam and excessive belligerence.

I appreciate the inquisition here and all, but I sense that none of you are going to volunteer as translators on my project. That's OK, I'll ask around elsewhere.

PS: DWhitmer, are you known as BOMC or BOMG elsewhere on the bloggernacle? If so, you should at least be pleased your theory got represented here: http://bookofmormononline.net/#/map/newyork (If there are inaccuracies, let me know and I'll fix them)

I am asking because among other things it looks like a worthwhile project and it would be unfortunate for it to be shut down because you didn't observe copyright law.

With using many different sources as it appears you do, it would be a lot of work to get permission but would be worth it.