Seriously No Politics ×

It Is Almost Here Again…Why Are Father’S Less Important?

Once again as Mother’s Day approaches everyone is excited to here from Caleb on his mission. I went through this once when my oldest served a mission and the question still remains. Why are missionaries, only allowed to call on Mother’s Day and Christmas? Do we as Father’s love our children any less? I can tell you the answer is no!

How many think that 3 phone calls in a year is too much to ask?

On my mission, we got to call home on both mother's and father's day (as well as Christmast).

I wouldn't be surprised if most mission presidents believe that the two holidays are too close together to warrent separate calls on each one though.

It is something that can get in your craw and drive your crazy if you let it. I think it is better to pick your battles and let the rest go. The important thing for me is that I know my son loves me and he knows that I love him. Whether he called on his two-year mission to tell me so was pretty irrelevant.

Just so you know I have several other issues that cause me heartburn; you are not alone in getting something in your craw and not being able to get it out.

Danite agents let that slip routinely when monitoring missionary calls.

You mean, we can do that? Who knew?! :huh:

Papa, Is the missionary told "You may call only your mother on Mothers Day" or is the missionary told "You may call home on Mothers Day". If the instruction is the latter, then you can speak to your missionary. I see this as a parable of the talents situation.

The stewards who were rewarded exercised their judgment to their benefit and that of their master, we have no details how they doubled their money, we only know each doubled their money. The steward who did nothing, gained nothing.

So if you can talk to your missionary on Mothers Day and Christmas and so can your wife, then other than getting to talk to your missionary more, everyone is treated the same. On my mission, we notified family ahead of time that we could call, and we spent all day on the phone speaking to everyone.

As Christ instructed his missionaries "Wise as serpents, harmless as Doves."

It may be that Moms yearn more for that contact. When I was on my mission, I received a letter from home weekly. They were all written by my mother, except one which was written by my father. Sorry to say, I wasn't much better when my sons and daughter went on missions.

Papa, Is the missionary told "You may call only your mother on Mothers Day" or is the missionary told "You may call home on Mothers Day".

I just love him so much I'll grasp at any straw for another call. I love my babies...and he is our youngest so he is the baby.

My mission president interpreted it a little differently. When I tried to do my 2nd Christmas call I never heard from them (I would call the morning of to tell them my number so that they could call back. They could afford a long international call, I couldn't.) All day I waited and still nothing. In the evening I called the MP to ask what my options were and he was very quick to tell me that calling on the 26th would not be an issue. "You get a Christmas Call Elder. There's nothing that says it has to be on Christmas Day."

Turned out that they had forgotten the number when they left the house for the grandparents and copied the number down incorrectly when they called the girl watching the house to read it to them. Apparently there was quite a bit of excitement in the office when my parents called to find out what my number was since I had just hung up with the President after he called to see if I had managed to hear from them. My timing is always awesome like that XD

As for a Father's Day call, I think President Hinckley talked about the idea best in 2003:

My children are now all grown. Some are in their 60s. But when they call and I answer the phone, they say, “How are you?” And before I can answer, they ask, “Is Mother there?”
Edited by silvermoon383

Sweet! I have one going out this summer. :) for him, :sad: for me.

The morning I took Caleb to the airport we had to leave 4 hours early (2:00AM), it had snowed here in Georgia and not being a snow State the roads were bad. I was grateful for the distraction of the drive as I could hardly breath without crying. I followed him though the line and then as he went behind the glass I followed him with my hand running along the glass, weeping like a schoolchild. Then he stopped and just looked at one anther for a short time. The insult that we do not believe what we teach is overwhelming at times. I gave that which was most precious to God for two years...this was my second to serve. Then when I got to my car I could not drive away for an hour while I plead to God to protect him. I love him more than life itself...some days I want to get the car and get him. He will have a new niece and i will have a new granddaughter to spoil in just three weeks or less! So in keeping with your note good for him and I'll pray for you to have the strength to say goodbye. God requires much of us, but them someday he gives us grandchildren! :air_kiss:

Edited by Bill “Papa” Lee

Don't forget Pa Pa... Your son is receiving much love and support from the ward's families. It's not the same as his very own family, but it is still close. When our missionaries' dinner calendar goes around, the spaces fill up quickly so that if you don't sign up immediately you could miss out.

I think of the way my folks loved the missionaries... when I was away at BYU, the mish's lived in our home (this was when they were able to stay with ward families). My mom took care of them like she would her own children. Though they no longer live with members, missionaries receive wonderful love and support in their wards.

GG