Seriously No Politics ×

How Can We Convince Calmoriah To Watch "Johnny Lingo"?

In another thread, Calmoriah was pridefully boasting about never having watched "Johnny Lingo". I was shocked, to say the least. :acute:

I have decided to try to solve the mystery of why Calmoriah has intentionally avoided watching "Johnny Lingo". What say you Calmoriah? Is there an interesting story behind your choice?

Calmoriah, everyone in life has their price. What's it going to take to introduce you to Johnny?

First you must buy her 11 cows...

This is exactly what I'm talking about, Blackstrap. Calmoriah probably doesn't even understand your "11 cow" reference because she refuses to watch "Johnny Lingo".

We've all been forced to watch this cheesy slice of Americana, otherwise known as "Johnny Lingo". Why does Calmoriah think she can run from the same fate? Calmoriah can't hide from "Johnny Lingo" forever.

This is sad. But then I haven't watched Saturday's Warriors. But Cal really should watch Johnny Lingo!

In another thread, Calmoriah was pridefully boasting about never having watched "Johnny Lingo". I was shocked, to say the least. :acute:

I have decided to try to solve the mystery of why Calmoriah has intentionally avoided watching "Johnny Lingo". What say you Calmoriah? Is there an interesting story behind your choice?

Not saying Calmoriah is part of this, but I thought I'd address it. The good folks over at Feminist Mormon Housewives loathe Johnny Lingo. I couldn't avoid watching it growing up. The Idaho Falls Temple had a waiting room for youth doing proxy baptisms and Johnny Lingo was played every time we were there.

Fight the Peppermint Patty Power Calmoriah!!!!!!!!!! you aren't missing out!!!! FWIW Mahana's son was in my mission and he was a slacker missionary but he prided himself on being Mahana's son!

I thought that Johnny Lingo and Mahana were ficticious characters. So how could her son be in your mission? Ficticious characters do not often have real children, I thought.

I thought that Johnny Lingo and Mahana were ficticious characters. So how could her son be in your mission? Ficticious characters do not often have real children, I thought.

Charlie can serve with anyone he wants to.

well! The lady who played mahana in the movie, the real actress whatever her name is- her son! His name escapes me now.

The old Johnny Lingo, while a bit "cheesy", was a cute little movie with a nice message at the end. But stay away from the remake, it's just an infomercial for "magic juice".

This is sad. But then I haven't watched Saturday's Warriors. But Cal really should watch Johnny Lingo!

I've seen some reasonable LDS movies like "On the Other Side of Heaven" but I haven't seen Johnny Lingo either. I attribute it to having watched the cheesy movie, Saturday's Warriors. I figure one cheesy LDS movie in my lifetime is sufficient. :)

For me Johnny Lingo was an outstanding movie. It carried such a great lesson about not judging others and what expressing a little faith in another can do. I haven't seen that movie in many, many years, but it is something that I would gladly watch again.

Old movies don't lose their value or impact simply because they are old. A good movie is a good movie regardless of how long it has sat on the shelf. I remember watching a old movie, I think the name of it was "Snakes". It had this incredibly powerful scene where a woman sings "Going Home" in an insane asylum. Everyone quieted and listened. I will never forget that scene as long as I live; nor will I forget that wondeful song. It is a song I hope is sung at my funeral when that day comes.

Cal, if you ever want to have a good day or are feeling a little blue, Johnny Lingo would be a great movie to watch.

I love old movies, that's not the issue. After I realized I had managed to go through seminary (not a great attender due to an unknown and therefore untreated sleep disorder) without seeing any of the seminary films, I told myself I should not ignore the message I was getting. I had a friend who had the Especially For Mormons volumes and I read many of the stories in there, IIRC, and decided I really, really didn't want to see them as I felt they were emotional manipulation. What works for me with the parables of the scriptures is that they are real and matter of fact, they don't work overtime trying to get you to feel something, you either get the parable or you don't.

I tend to get very angry when someone tries to manipulate...probably due to some relatives and one or two friends who played that game, whether it was trying to use guilt to manipulate me into doing what they wanted or emotional power games so they could act the victim that I should be rescuing and some other stuff. Had some talented individuals for drama around me in my youth.....while me, I just come right out and say what I mean....I know this stuff is harmless and meant well, but the techniques used will still trigger resentment.

Anyway anytime I feel like someone is attempting to artificially evoke emotion from me through music and over the top plots, I get angry. Johnny Lingo seems low key enough, not meant to be a tear jerker; if I were to watch any of the old films, it would be this one, the rest I've studied up on have storylines (had access to them all when I worked at the bookstore and in the ward library) that are just too over the top for me so that it feels like manipulation.

I figure if I can resist seeing Johnny Lingo where my not having seen it is just really only a oddity, I'll be able to say no to all the rest which I really don't want to see. Living here in Utah now surrounded by some fans of the series looking to sucker me into watching the classics, I have to draw my lines bright, lol.

I get the manipulation concern; I don't really know anyone that like to be manipulated in any fashion. It would be interesting to carry that logic out to the end; how would we live if we were never acted upon? Would we really want to exist if there was no influence upon us? Could be fun to discuss.

If you have set up some guiding principles to ensure that you never see an LDS movie then it really is not anyone else's business. I try and do the same thing with the 13th Article of Faith. Unless it comes to action flicks; then I just like to be entertained. Or Law & Order, the original series. I think I will stop; I have guiding principles, but I make lots of exceptions. Basically, I am a lazy guy that sometimes like to just veg and watch the mindless shows on TV.

If it floats your boat, great.