Things Turning Up A Notch Or Two

Messenger

I just got done reading a book called "The Integrity Advantage" by Adrian Gostick and Dana Telford. Its sort of a pep talk for people in business on why they should be ethical or do the right thing. Now I am not an anti-wall street person, but the book does bring up some important issues around business ethics and why we have them.

Looking back over the years from my experience in Telecommunications, I have seen a lot of people do the wrong thing, both at the corporate level, the ordinary work level, and yes even at the customer level. But recently I have seen a pretty large upswing in dishonestly and lack of ethics at nearly all levels. Quite frankly, I've never seen so many co-workers and customers doing the wrong thing ever in my life. Although, the company I work for seems to be holding its own pretty well with respect to ethics, I don't see them going out of their way to encourage employees to do the same.

My experience over the years tells me that this is not a very good environment to work in when its all "take or be taken". When customers will say anything to have their contract broken, and co-workers will do and say anything to get a sale, and when they corporations they work for do nothing to enforce integrity, there is a point when working in that environment is not productive. In the past I have historically left the companies and the environment where these challenges occur. But I am now considering trying to weather such challenges in the hopes that it may eventually turn around, and perhaps even be an example in the interim. However, its not only a decision of being an example, its also a financial one - because my salary is being affected by it.

What have you had experience with, and what has been your path when such things happen?

Example of bad business ethics:

• Bernie Ebbers CEO of Worldcom - Convicted of Accounting Fraud
  • Tony Hayward, CEO of BP, resigned in 2010 months after an oil rig explosion that killed 11 workers and set off the massive spill in the Gulf of Mexico.
  • Ken Lay, Enron Chairman, died in July 2006, just weeks after he was found guilty on six charges of conspiracy and fraud and four charges of bank fraud.
  • Martha Stewart of Living Omnimedia Inc. served a five-month sentence in 2004 for lying to investigators her insider trading with ImClone stock.
  • Bernard Madoff made an admission to his sons that his investments were "all one big lie". The following day he was arrested and charged with a single count of securities fraud. As of December 2008 the losses were estimated to be $65 billion, making it the largest investor fraud in history.Madoff was sentenced to 150 years in prison on June 29, 2009.

Messenger:

It is possible for one man to change the course of the world, but the odds are long against any one of us being that one.

It has been my observation that nobody gets to a position to be able to change the world without paying a price. IMNSHO anybody with ability can do it if they want to pay that price. At some point the price becomes to great for most.

Im not sure whats going to happen in the long term. Historically the company I currently work for isn't bad from an ethics standpoint, certainly much better than others that I have worked for. This big problem is the dishonesty of the customers and the fellow workers. I've never rode out this type of storm before, but have known others that have; results have been mixed at best. This is what makes working for myself an attractive option. I've done it three times in the past with a website and some inventory and a little drop shipping. I am thinking about doing it again. If I do it, then I would keep my present job for a while until a certain point. However, that certain point becomes elusive when trying to transition to being self-employed full time. The most successful self-employment business had me selling about 30K a month, with a 15% margin. But, talk about paying the price, it was an ATV performance parts company and it had me out on the dunes every Saturday and Sunday. So, although I have a lot of experience with that, Im not sure that industry is what I want to be in again. I was thinking along the lines of an on-line medical supply company for preppers, EMT and field medics, even some municipalities such as police departments. I have a lot of contacts and would instantly be able to order wholesale inventory directly from some manufacturers. Inventory space would little and could run it right out of my apartment. But the biggest problem I have had in the past is inventory control and knowing when to take on a new product based on current sales. I suppose they have programs out there that do that, or I'm sure an accountant could do that too - just not sure how much those cost.

When you decide to get your business up and running, you may want to check out your local college to see if they have a small business/startup company assistance center. They sometimes have them so that students get real world experience in business planning, accounting and marketing, sometimes even legal assistance. Depending on the program they can be quite helpful and may even be free.

HAHA! I get it! Its not the ATV, its when it turns into a business and people want to see you on the dunes on Sunday .......

Not to hijack your esteemed thread, but although I enjoy living in Utah and the company of Utahn's, two things about our fair state really do drive me up the wall: Our love affair with MLM's and the pestilence of 4-wheel ATV's ripping up almost every square foot of the beautiful state I had hoped to leave to my child. And it does seem worse here than in most other western states, possibly excepting Wyoming.

When you decide to get your business up and running, you may want to check out your local college to see if they have a small business/startup company assistance center. They sometimes have them so that students get real world experience in business planning, accounting and marketing, sometimes even legal assistance. Depending on the program they can be quite helpful and may even be free.

Cal,

Actually the church has a program for that. Also the state's webpage has a bunch of resources too. Thanks for that info as well.

Not to hijack your esteemed thread, but although I enjoy living in Utah and the company of Utahn's, two things about our fair state really do drive me up the wall: Our love affair with MLM's and the pestilence of 4-wheel ATV's ripping up almost every square foot of the beautiful state I had hoped to leave to my child. And it does seem worse here than in most other western states, possibly excepting Wyoming.

Buzzard,

You got that true! When I arrived in Utah years ago from Oregon I felt it was the off-road mecca of the western USA. Being from Oregon, the state keeps a pretty tight clamp on off-road. They have their designated off-road areas, and off-road sticker registration pays for all of the regulation. But Utah, well .... if you have a 4X4, an ATV or anything off road .... WELCOME! LOL There are no sound checks, no helmets required & no speed limits. And you can off-road just about anywhere on state land. The good thing is that you dont see a lot of crime in the off-road popular areas in Utah. I've seen a lot of that at Glamis California and Sand Mountain Nevada. By far the most social off-road dune areas are in Oregon; There are many families that all ride on the dunes there.

Pictures Below:

1. Four Stroke Wars - Cops - Glamis California

2. My Campsite - Memorial Day - Sand Lake Oregon

3. Dune Fest Official Sand Drags - Winchester Bay Oregon

4. My Buddy Scott Goofing Off - Sand Lake Oregon

5. Beach Photo - from my DS650 - Florence Oregon

6. Florence Oregon - Competition Hill

7. My DS650 - Sand Lake Oregon - Memorial Day

8. Caught starting a dune drag in a no drag race area! - Oregon Dunes

You Tube Search for "Dune Fest"

post-17409-0-44097600-1335269786_thumb.j

post-17409-0-80765400-1335269816_thumb.j

post-17409-0-32512100-1335269836_thumb.j

post-17409-0-63579500-1335269871_thumb.j

post-17409-0-15963500-1335269896_thumb.j

post-17409-0-26008700-1335270180_thumb.j

post-17409-0-10111600-1335270198_thumb.j

post-17409-0-18316400-1335270322_thumb.j

Edited by Messenger

I had a presentation last night by a legal services company wanting me to be a representative. Its all commission, but I could work it in with my current job. That would augment income, but wouldn't replace it. That's a possibility I guess.

I had a presentation last night by a legal services company wanting me to be a representative. Its all commission, but I could work it in with my current job. That would augment income, but wouldn't replace it. That's a possibility I guess.

Please tell us it's NOT "Prepaid Legal". That's a recruiting MLM, where you don't make much money selling services, you make your money getting others to be representatives. Gee, ATV's and MLM's, my two pet peeves, all in one thread....

You'd be good at real estate investing, I think. It would be better in the long run, since real estate is pretty near the bottom with nowhere to go but up. Check these out:

Flip 2 Freedom (Sean Terry)

Matt Theriault

Both these guys offer paid mentorships, but both also provide absolutely free and valuable information. They each have a podcast, Sean Terry has a downloadable free book and Matt Theriault has a downloadable audio course. All free.

Edited by Stargazer
Please tell us it's NOT "Prepaid Legal". That's a recruiting MLM, where you don't make much money selling services, you make your money getting others to be representatives. Gee, ATV's and MLM's, my two pet peeves, all in one thread....

I've not been involved with Prepaid Legal myself, but friends of mine have been, and while it is MLM, and if you build an organization you can make money at it, the best long-term money is from your customers re-upping year after year. There are definitely worse MLMs out there. The thing is, you can make a living income at PPL without doing a lick of recruiting. It just requires being a good salesman in that case. The product is decent, at least. It's not thigh creams and health shakes after all.

Stargazer,

I'm not ready to jump into real estate. But i do appreciate your opinion and suggestion with links. Things took a dramatic turn today when we had a team meeting and we all brought up the latest issues we had with the company. I'm sure they have their reasons, but they basically reduced everyone's take home pay by $400 this month. They already reduced it 4 months ago by about the same amount. Its difficult to readjust everything that quickly. So, I'm definitely looking - just completed two resumes and sent them out and will follow up this weekend or next week. I'm meeting with the Bishop this Sunday for a food support request - It's not a meeting I am looking forward to.

I updated my profile on the Church Employment Website, LinkedIn and two others. At least I have some sort of job - Its easier to look for one when you have one! :crazy: So, I will say it again, I am thankful for the job I have!

Just dropped the union dues to the minimum. - that would give me an extra $35 / month

I will see about getting the car refinanced - that might give me an extra $50 / month

I'm pushing the doctors appts out to every 6 months instead of every 3 months - that will save about $35 / month

There isn't much else to cut, heat is off, its been three months since I got my hair cut! and I buy the cheapest food I can find! Also chopping my meds in half. Of course no home phone, have a pre-paid cell, no cable, and a screaming deal on the internet for $25 / month. I just got my child support readjusted, now I get to start that 8 month process all over again.

Good Times!

Mark

Edited by Messenger

Check with your local pharmacy to see if they are aware of any programs to help pay for medications. Not all medications are covered, but many are. You might want to check online as well. Sometimes the companies have programs.

Check with your local pharmacy to see if they are aware of any programs to help pay for medications. Not all medications are covered, but many are. You might want to check online as well. Sometimes the companies have programs.

Thanks, the next time I'm in I'll do that.

There are several companies that look up benefits for you for a fee...ticks me off that they are making money off of people who need financial help but are too unfamiliar with the system to feel comfortable to get it for themselves, but I understand why individuals unfamiliar with the internet might be tempted to use them.

However there are thankfully also free sites, this is the top one on google, looks pretty good: http://www.benefitscheckup.org/ There may be an age requirement (over 55), I can't tell it that is the primary target audience or a requirement though from my quick glance. If a requirement, keep looking as there are likely other free services without one.

• 2 weeks later...

I have accepted a position in the pre-paid legal industry. I will still be working my current job, but have decided not to throw away 25 years of experience, and supplement my income with this newer legal service. I'm excited actually. I've just had two legal battles that have been won, worth a savings of over $2800, by using their services.

• 2 weeks later...

Just got a call from my mom today. She and dad are gifting us kids a pretty substantial amount every six months for an undisclosed length of time. I am going to use that to start the business I've wanted to for a while now. Its definitely an answer to my prayers.