Seriously No Politics ×

Reading Recommendations

Antoni

Hi,

as I'm progressing along my path of interest in the LDS, I wondered what other books (other than scriptures) any here might recommend.

Only other LDS book I've read is Look Up My Soul by Elder Lund.

Thanks

"Rough Stone Rolling" this way you can see Joseph Smith as a "man" and not the "mega-legend" others impose on him. In short you can see all he did "dispite his weaknesses", which like all men, he had. Also "By Grace Are We Saved" by Robert Milliet. Also anything ever written or said by Neal A Maxwell...have a dictionary nearby for this.

If you haven't done it yet, the basic Gospel Principles manual is a quick read, it's nice to read online for easy scripture reference too. Personally I think this should be essential reading for anyone new to LDS doctrine. It's not in depth, but it sets everything into a framework, makes it much easier for discussion and it is helpful in focusing on what is doctrine and what is speculation (anything not included has a good chance of being speculation....speculation, imo, isn't inherently bad, but necessary to know which is which).

For historical interest, as well as Rough Stone Rolling, I like The Mormon Experience by Bitton and Arrington. It gives a good overview. Anything by either one is great.

It's an investment, but if you can Brant Gardner's multivolume BoM commentary is very worthwhile. If you can't afford that, at least read or listen to his FAIR presentations/articles.

Grant Hardy's stuff on the BoM is always worthwhile as well.

Larry Poulsen has an excellent website on BoM geography.

The Traditions book of the MI's BoA series is a fun read.

Edited by calmoriah

If you haven't done it yet, the basic Gospel Principles manual is a quick read, it's nice to read online for easy scripture reference too. Personally I think this should be essential reading for anyone new to LDS doctrine. It's not in depth, but it sets everything into a framework, makes it much easier for discussion and it is helpful in focusing on what is doctrine and what is speculation (anything not included has a good chance of being speculation....speculation, imo, isn't inherently bad, but necessary to know which is which).

Read this over the weekend, really helpful, will work through it again I think and do a bit more delving into the scriptures it quotes etc.

Thanks!