Seriously No Politics ×

More Kids Born To Parents Livin' [Sic]In Sin; According To News Report It Is Due To Bad Economy.

Bill “Papa” Lee

Given the teaching of the church on families and the importance of marriage…this is certainly a new slant. It is the de-valuing of marriage that is causing this, not the economy. How would it cost more to care for your children as a result of being married? More and more (probably due to my age) I don’t recognize the world I am living in anymore. As the scriptures say, “Any man who does not care for his own is worse than an infidel”…this includes caring enough to marry. I believe that once children come into the equation all other concerns are secondary…maybe it is because my bio-father left us to die and homeless.

http://www.lds.org/family/proclamation?lang=eng

News story...

http://www.newser.com/story/143909/more-kids-born-to-parents-livin-in-sin.html

"You have women in that middle-educated group who want to start families and potentially don't find themselves in a stable enough economic position to want to make the move into marriage," says a Cornell sociologist. "They're kind of starting their families in a two-parent context, but outside the bounds of marriage."
I just do not get the attitude that marriage isn't an essential part of a dialogue that starts out "we're having a baby". I've seen a couple of tv shows where the couple is going to have a kid and isn't this all wonderful and great and then someone asks "are you going to get married" and the response is "no, we're not ready for that stage in our lives" as if they are too young to be married, but not too young to be parents. While I realize that it is certainly physically possible, somehow it seems to me that if someone doesn't see themselves as emotionally mature or stable enough to be married, how in the world do they view themselves as emotionally mature and stable enough to have a child.

I just do not get the attitude that marriage isn't an essential part of a dialogue that starts out "we're having a baby". I've seen a couple of tv shows where the couple is going to have a kid and isn't this all wonderful and great and then someone asks "are you going to get married" and the response is "no, we're not ready for that stage in our lives" as if they are too young to be married, but not too young to be parents. While I realize that it is certainly physically possible, somehow it seems to me that if someone doesn't see themselves as emotionally mature or stable enough to be married, how in the world do they view themselves as emotionally mature and stable enough to have a child.

Amen...I married at 18 and adopted my oldest daughter. You do the right thing and leave the rest to God...he will give you the strength and grace that you need. At the time I married my wife, I was discouraged from adopting my daughter. "Well right now she gets medicade and you need to see if your marriage works out". I told them I am her father now and I will take care of her, and that I did not get married to fail at it. The great thing for me is that I could love my daughter more than if I gave birth to her myself. She has given me three beautiful granddaughters which are the light of my life. Of course now that i am older, I have a policy for my daughters. "No marriage until you're 35, and no sex until I'm dead". So I gave in on the 35 part...she has had three virgin births now...as I know she would not break the 2nd rule. She wouldn't; right? :sorry:

It is no surprise that society values marriage less than it used to since churches for the past two decades have been advocating that it is better for gay couples to not get married and living together is perferred. They state that marriage is a religious institution. Many young people look at these two messages that have beens strongly supported by the very institutions that should be encouraging couples to marry and come to the conclusion that if it is not important for gay couples to marry and if marriage is only important if you are religious, then perhaps marriage is not for me. I have had straight couples say that exact same thing to me.

It is no surprise that society values marriage less than it used to since churches for the past two decades have been advocating that it is better for gay couples to not get married and living together is perferred. They state that marriage is a religious institution.

It is not the same thing, as you cannot have children.

It is not the same thing, as you cannot have children.

Not sure what you mean. Can you explain why you think that is a factor?

Because this is what the article was addressing. Marriage between men and women and children growing up in homes where the parents are not married.

I understand that. I was just experssing my opinion on what I think is contributing to this change in attitude of people deciding to not get married.

I understand that. I was just experssing my opinion on what I think is contributing to this change in attitude of people deciding to not get married.

I understand and though I disagree with gay marriage, I do not think you can connect the two...it is a different dynamic.

churches for the past two decades have been advocating that it is better for gay couples to not get married and living together is perferred.

I have never heard it taught in the LDS faith that "living together is preferred".

Archived