Seriously No Politics ×

Sustaining Those Whom The Lord Sustains - George Albert Smith Manual

There is a curious description of thesuccession of Joseph Smith in Lesson 6 of theTeachings of Presidents of the Church: George Albert Smith. It says:

What happened when [Joseph Smith] died? … [The Saints] didn’t hold a conclave, choose a chairman and pick a new leader. The leader had already been chosen by the Lord. He was the senior member of the Quorum of the Twelve, Brigham Young. … The Church as a body in all its sessions sustained him as President. When he died, his counselors did not say they were the President, but the Quorum of the Twelve presided for a long time, and then their senior member was sustained as President of the Church. Perfect order prevailed. …

I've long been a fan of LDS history and the succession crisis that followed Joseph's death is one of the more interesting and important events in the early church. I'm having a hard time conjuring a way that any of this statement can be seen as accurate. Specifically the part about his counselors. Sidney Rigdon did very much claim the right to lead the church and returned to Nauvoo saying he had a revelation to do so. Not to mention the claims of Samuel Smith and Joseph's children and a half dozen others. Maybe after dozens of excommunications and the church divided into 5 different branches there was "perfect order" prevailing but I can't say that was accurate before.

There are many here better read in LDS history than I am. Am I being overly critical here?

Phaedrus

At this blog post, BHodges says this about that:

The manual includes an excerpt in which Smith relates the circumstances of prophetic succession after the death of Joseph Smith: <snip excerpt>

Nit-pickers might point out this description isn’t entirely accurate. I checked out the original article which, as it turns out, the manual obscures. After Smith rhetorically asked what happened after Joseph died he answered: “Men who thought they had divine authority, who had been Joseph’s assiciates, now wished to take lead of the Church.” He briefly described Sidney Rigdon’s effort to become guardian of the Church and also mentions James Strang, William Bickerton and Lyman Wight. Without citing the specific section he had in mind he said the Doctrine and Covenants laid down the principle that upon the First Presidency’s dissolution the next governing quorum, the Twelve, would assume the leadership. Brigham Young was “at the head” of the Twelve, but the Twelve had to sustain him as the new president of the Church, followed by a sustaining vote by the membership. Thus, when the manual says “[The Saints] didn’t hold a conclave,” in context Smith is actually referring to the Twelve, who already recognized Brigham Young as the head of that quorum, and thus to Smith did not need to hold a conclave. They appointed Young and the Church subsequently sustained the appointment. While closer scrutiny of this event adds important details, I was happy to discover Smith’s retelling is not as inaccurate as the manual represents.

Edited by David T

Thus, when the manual says “[The Saints] didn’t hold a conclave,” in context Smith is actually referring to the Twelve, who already recognized Brigham Young as the head of that quorum, and thus to Smith did not need to hold a conclave. They appointed Young and the Church subsequently sustained the appointment.

How is the appointment of a new head of the quorum determined? Is it based on that person's age or is

it his seniority as a member of the church?

Thanks,

Jim

I think the thing that was completely accurate, and I respect Smith for saying it, was that the Twelve rose to their status through the vote of the church body. Thus, we have no reason to look down on other religions that believe the will of God may be manifest through a deliberative, democratic process.

• 3 weeks later...

I think the thing that was completely accurate, and I respect Smith for saying it, was that the Twelve rose to their status through the vote of the church body. Thus, we have no reason to look down on other religions that believe the will of God may be manifest through a deliberative, democratic process.

Which religions are you thinking of when you make this comment? And have you experienced Mormons "looking down on them" for their democratic process?

Which religions are you thinking of when you make this comment? And have you experienced Mormons "looking down on them" for their democratic process?

I think Catholics are the most notorious for having a "democratic" process in selecting their Pope. Puff of smoke and all that.