Seriously No Politics ×

Arlo Guthrie

3DOP

So I was listening again. I do it every once in a while.

Has anybody else ever felt the pathos of the "Disappearing Railroad Blues"? Oh man...

Its not a Guthrie song...A guy named Steve Goodman...a folkie guy who I think died young of cancer wrote it. But its the best American music I know. And for an American, I am not ordinarily partial to American art...but my goodness.

For the story

The studio version

From Minnesota to Mississippi...Wow...I love this country...The Guthries!...Who wouldn't love this country who knew it? "The train pulls out of Kankakee...rolls along past houses, farms and fields..." Heartland. Heartland. I'm going to end up there if I can.

Sometimesaint...of all people...we never agree about anything...very good. Thanks.

Edited by 3DOP

Superb song. Curiously enough, in Israel it was often taken for a Hebrew original due to this cover version.

Israel? Israel? Volgadon...What is that? I have all the respect in the world for other people's rivers. The Volga. The Don. The Jordan. But that melody belongs to the mighty Mississipp. So is that Hebrew for Goodmans' lyrics?

That is amazing...

Israel? Israel? Volgadon...What is that? I have all the respect in the world for other people's rivers. The Volga. The Don. The Jordan. But that melody belongs to the mighty Mississipp. So is that Hebrew for Goodmans' lyrics?

That is amazing...

Of course it is an American song, my parents had to point that out to people quite a bit. The song was translated when patriotic songs were still popular in Israel. The Hebrew version transposes Goodman's sentiments to places in Israel, with the chorus running like this, though the flowery Hebrew doesn't work too well in English. "Hello, wondrous land, your humble servant carries you a song. Though I sometimes wander far, it is good to wander but better still to return."

Oh well...Its my thread...So I came across a poem about a place on that big river where my boy is. Far from home...but near to home...near in our hearts...

My boy...my youngest is there...Well, he's not really a boy anymore...the poem is about a little town in Minnesota called Winona...

WINONA’S WOMB (by "Long skirts")

Up the raging Mississip,

And at the St. Paul’s source,

South, below the ragged cliffs,

There is a fiercer force.

A force which surges

Human blood between her banks each June,

Then tears and rents herself for all,

She is…Winona’s womb!

And like the raging Mississip,

Her channels open wide,

And birth the men who are the priests,

The source of Mother’s pride.

And from that raging Mississip,

And at that St. Paul’s source,

South, below the ragged cliffs,

Push priests from land of Norse.

Who ride the river, far and wide,

For souls from shore to shore,

And bring them home to Mother’s side,

To leave Her never more.

And up where current’s all the rage,

And sin is sorrow’s source,

Still south, below the ragged cliffs,

Winona stays the course!

Of course it is an American song, my parents had to point that out to people quite a bit. The song was translated when patriotic songs were still popular in Israel. The Hebrew version transposes Goodman's sentiments to places in Israel, with the chorus running like this, though the flowery Hebrew doesn't work too well in English. "Hello, wondrous land, your humble servant carries you a song. Though I sometimes wander far, it is good to wander but better still to return."

Don't take me wrong...I don't mind...Who should care if I did? I like it when people love their homes, wherever they may be.

Edited by 3DOP

Hello 3DOP...

The Guthries remind me of those difficult years during the Depression... when so many sharecroppers lost their farms to the banks because of the "Dust Bowl" situation... having to hit the road west along Rte 66, looking for work... right out of Grapes of Wrath...

My husband grew up in Nebraska, spending much of his time with his grandparents on their farm. That was in the days when men rode on top of boxcars, being called "hobos" ... they were virtually homeless, searching from town to town for work. Still, people had hope. The hobos used to have a way of marking a house that other hobos recognized as a place where they could get a good meal. My husband's grandparents' house was such a place. Nearly daily there would be a man come to the door looking for a chore they could perform for a meal. His grandmother never turned them away, but would feed them even if there was no work. But the men preferred to work because it made them feel like they were contributing. Those were such difficult days... Steinbeck wrote about them, the Guthries sang about them.

GG

I have always felt sorry for Arlo.... His father was a legend, and he was surrounded by legends. Indeed his father took Bob Dylan under his wing while leaving Arlo Guthrie in a lesser light. Even during the rockier stages of his last years. But how do you live up to a legend like Woody? You just can't.

Admittedly, I'm probably a bit young to have listened to Arlo in his day but I had older siblings who loved his music and introduced me to him via old 45s and vinyl.  City of New Orleans is such a great song and we in the south can relate to trains and the culture around them.  Willie Nelson did a huge tribute to the song and, IMO, to Guthrie with his version of it.

I have always felt sorry for Arlo.... His father was a legend, and he was surrounded by legends. Indeed his father took Bob Dylan under his wing while leaving Arlo Guthrie in a lesser light. Even during the rockier stages of his last years. But how do you live up to a legend like Woody? You just can't.

As much as I am a fan of Woody, he was a pretty lousy husband and father much of his life. Oh well, we are all flawed one way or another.

• 6 months later...

Interesting, for the first time in years, I listened to Alice's Restaurant early this morning and then I saw this thread.

3DOP, that must be a sign for God that you're to join the Mormon Church. I've prayed about it so you don't have to. Just call the elders up and I'll show up at the baptism. No need for you to ask any questions either, I've asked them all and even answered them. The answers were awesome. Just trust me. :ph34r:

Heh...Very interesting Urroner...I appreciate your reasoning as always...However...Considering that Arlo is Catholic (at least he said so in a Rolling Stone interview around 75 years ago), I could wonder why it wouldn't be you who are joining "our church"!

Rory

Heh...Very interesting Urroner...I appreciate your reasoning as always...However...Considering that Arlo is Catholic (at least he said so in a Rolling Stone interview around 75 years ago), I could wonder why it wouldn't be you who are joining "our church"!

Rory

Because...

GG

Rory

Rory, you have given me paws to think. If you had only given me a brain, but William Schryver in his scarecrow outfit keeps jumping in my way and grabbing it. You can see what good it's done him.

Edited by urroner