Seriously No Politics ×

New Blog, New Leg For An Inspirational Young Lady

This dear sister recently served as a full-time missionary in our ward despite her handicap and she has now started a blog to help her raise money for a new artificial leg.

She's an amazing young lady

Here is a link to her blog! http://www.legupforlife.blogspot.com/

Read it, and better yet, send some bucks! I heartily endorse the cause! (but please contribute anyway!)

;)

If that is the replacement, does this mean she had to get the rest of her leg amputated, not just the foot (if I understood what she said)?

I think it would be helpful for her to state the costs and how far along she is and such, there are those who will want to donate larger amounts as well as without receiving the wristbands to cut down on her costs and would likely want a bit more info to do so, such as a way to check her references that it's not a scam.

Found a wiki article on typical costs: http://en.wikipedia....Prosthesis#Cost

Edited by calmoriah

If that is the replacement, does this mean she had to get the rest of her leg amputated, not just the foot (if I understood what she said)?

I think it would be helpful for her to state the costs and how far along she is and such, there are those who will want to donate larger amounts as well as without receiving the wristbands to cut down on her costs and would likely want a bit more info to do so, such as a way to check her references that it's not a scam.

Thanks for that- those are excellent suggestions and I will forward them!

Thanks for that- those are excellent suggestions and I will forward them!

Tell her to be cautious as well of anyone offering to get involved with her project, there are a lot of people doing scams out there in the charity field including people going around collecting donations in others' names and then pocketing it for themselves; it would be a shame if she got targeted and ripped off. It might be a good idea for her to take a look around and see how some more successful ones are run, especially if her long term goal is to set something up for others with the same need as well. There might even be a government site on how to set up foundations and protect oneself.

Also make sure she's looked into how to handle the tax aspects of it, all I can think of is the need to make sure she has a separate account for the donations from her own personal savings account, etc. and to keep very precise records. She doesn't want to run into trouble with the taxman and end up having to spend the donations dealing with the IRS. There should be some way to set it up as a tax free foundation or something.

Edited by calmoriah

I know she needs $35,000 from her facebook- she is on facebook but I am not sure how much access, understandably, she allows non-"friends".

I forwarded your suggestion- do you have any ideas on how to allow people to check "references" without exposing her personal identity to creeps?

See my above for other ideas....

If she needs as much as 35,000, she probably needs to set up some sort of tax exempt charitable foundation. If she does this, it is the charity they can check out and not her.

Having said that I have no clue how to go about and do it, I've just seen a number of similar setups when someone has needed surgeries or families have run into extreme debt for medical reasons. I do remember one being done in conjunction with a bank so that people could send their donations there, another worked through a local school. I really would encourage her to figure out what her local or at least state government has in helping people with such things and get in contact with them and hopefully they would know how to handle the federal aspects as well, her local hospital might have some ideas as well.

Edited by calmoriah

Thanks again Cal! Great ideas- We will see how this develops.

Edited by mfbukowski