Seriously No Politics ×

Anti-Mormonism Bites Romney In Southerly Regions

Zakuska

Good CNN peace this morning:

http://www.cnn.com/2...bama/index.html

A couple of excerpts:

Bloc voting by evangelicals is a standard feature of Southern Republican politics, and polls show it has also fueled Santorum's rise nationally.

And here I thought that was an exclusive LDS trait/failing?!

At least so I've been told by many Anti-Mormons I've spoken with,

Would anti-Mormon feeling in the South hurt Romney in a general election? That's not likely, since about half the Republican voters in Alabama and Mississippi believe Obama is a Muslim. In any event, the Deep South is so much a one-party region that nothing will get the Democratic ticket in the hunt. But in contested states, religion, like race, could be a tilt factor that the press seems reluctant to engage.

What exactly is he trying to say in his concluding sentence?

From what I've seen the Press has been more than happy to jump all over the religious factors when it comes to Romney. Or is he trying to say that the press should engage it just as they have the race issues?

Never have I been so ashamed of my fellow Americans as I feel now. I really thought that people could look past religion in politics but obviously bigotry is still alive and well in the south.

Would you vote for a Satanist who wanted to be sworn in on the Satanic Bible, this satanist is the most qualified of all the candidates

I think it is simply wrong for LDS to ask people set aside their religious beliefs just so a Mormon can get elected.

On the flip side... its wrong for non LDS to call for a candidate to set aside their religion just so they can run for office.

Would you vote for a Satanist who wanted to be sworn in on the Satanic Bible, this satanist is the most qualified of all the candidates

gladly, satanist are actually more about hedonism than worshipping Satan, that aside if a satanist was best qualified and most likely to represent my interest why should I vote for a Christian or even a fellow Latter-Day Saint who would not put my interests first.

There should be no religious test, per the Constitution. However we all know the gulf between what is and what should be. In a sense I see a positive. As the church is more widely known, as it makes various stands for righteousness, as it grows and helps this nation, so too will its standing. One cannot hope to end all offensive acts in one or two election cycles, but the progress moves forward. Romney did not do well in two southern states, however he has done well eslewhere, even as the church or membership in it is used as a cudgel to quell Romney's growth.

I've been posting on this issue at http://dcpsicetnon.blogspot.com/.

I like how you never attempted to cover what the values are that voters believed romney did not share.

Also, how many churches, up to 1978 had what appear to outsiders as racist beliefs/practices. Of those churches, how many have had a member who is also a political candidate in a highly contentious primary?

Rather than appeal to emotionalism and America is Number 1, why not address the actual issues of concern?

Is romneys history of flip flopping, that romneycare served is the same as obamacare, the dog story, or his religion the problem or is it a collective off them all. Or do people simple just not like him for no apparent reason.

It is really a shame you deliberately avoided the real issues. If the issue is religion, it is a terrible that lds people would bully nonlds to set aside their own nonlds personal religious convictions; the lds doing so makes them no different than those they rail against concerning religious beliefs and voting.

------------------------------------

Jeff k if you are going to reference the US Constitution please be accurate, states and feds can not require a religious test, nothing in the Constitution prevents a individual voter from using religion.

I get tired of hearin the "Romney is a flip-flopper" argument. All Romney did was represent his constituency, I know that is a novel idea among politicians but it is how things are supposed to work. That means that yes, sometimes he supported things that he didn't nessisarily agree with because that is what the people of Massachusetts wanted. I wish more politicians would be like Romney and listen to the people who elect them rather than ignoring their constituency.

Jeff k if you are going to reference the US Constitution please be accurate, states and feds can not require a religious test, nothing in the Constitution prevents a individual voter from using religion, UNLESS you are advocating that the Constitution requires thought police at polls....everyone must take a lie detector test and prove they did not consider religion otherwise their vote does not count. Did not realize you were such a big brother type.

You are right, just as you can be a racist, but a the state can't. But then sometimes the morality of the constitution (and I know morality is not the forte of some when dealing with "just" laws" and the amendments which protect "just" rights) are worthy of emulation by the people. You may of course argue that a bigoted course of action and emotional bigotry is the best method by which we should choose our leaders. I would argue that such is not worthy of the dignity of humans.

But please, tell us more as to how bigotry against a religion makes us all better people, we are all on pins and needles trying to understand your logic.

Is this more disheartening than the people who will simply vote for Romney because he is a Mormon?

How many will that be?

I'm as "Mormon" as they come. If I vote for him, I will be holding my proverbial nose. Any "Mormonism" involved will be trivial at best.

Many others here have said essentially the same thing.

Lehi

"Most qualified" is in the eye of the beholder.

If he qualifies in my eyes better than any other, then, sure, why not?

He's not going to have any effect on my faith. If he posed that sort of potential, he would not be "qualified".

Lehi

"Rednecks", can you explain how disparaging people is ok, but disparaging a LDS person is not ok?

Sorry poor choice of words on my part. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redneck

However since Im from Utah. "Redneck" in my neck of the woods is traditionaly used to refer to the Cowboy types. Who wear the hats and the boots and drive pickup trucks with shotguns prominantly displayed in the back window, and who own 2 hunting dogs.

I'll edit the post.

PS. My Dad is a redneck.

Saints Alive:

In delegates Romney is well ahead. We'll have to wait until at least the last of April before he or someone else can claim to have to more than half the needed delegates to avoid a brokered convention. I still expect Romney to be the eventual nominee, but it going to be an interesting contest.

However even in the North those Primay/Caucuse votes are very close. Ususally a few percentage points either way. The combined Anyone But Romney votes is easily double that of Romney. In Pennsylvania a survey of likely Republican voters 60% favor Santorum. We'll have to WAFO what the actual Primary vote is but it doesn't look good so far for Romney. It is telling that both Santorum and Gingrich have played the Antimormon card.

Saints Alive:

In delegates Romney is well ahead. We'll have to wait until at least the last of April before he or someone else can claim to have to more than half the needed delegates to avoid a brokered convention. I still expect Romney to be the eventual nominee, but it going to be an interesting contest.

However even in the North those Primay/Caucuse votes are very close. Ususally a few percentage points either way. The combined Anyone But Romney votes is easily double that of Romney. In Pennsylvania a survey of likely Republican voters 60% favor Santorum. We'll have to WAFO what the actual Primary vote is but it doesn't look good so far for Romney. It is telling that both Santorum and Gingrich have played the Antimormon card.

But even in ALB. and FLOR. it was close. Frankly, Im suprised that Romney did as well as he did. Does anyone know where we can lookup how he did in 2008 in those states? That might be a goot litmus test to see if people are warming up to him.

Archived