Seriously No Politics ×

Do You Remember Your First Dance?

Duncan

I was in Grade Six when I attended my first dance. It would be an understatement to say the least that no one at that age was interested in dancing, girls on one side and boys on the other and a great gulf in the middle and the 2 teachers were smoking outside. I was 14.5 I think when I attended my first real live LDS dance in 1993 for Youth Conf. It was seriously like a jungle. There were so many people there, dressed up in the whole grunge scene, of which I was wha? and it was so hot in the gym, this one kid was swinging from the basketball Net and the Music was certaintly different from the Sharon, Lois, and Bram, Sesame Street stuff I knew. I wore a black sweater and I couldn't take it off because I had no undershirt on underneath so I was sweaty, hot and terribly itchy. I had no clue how to cut the rug and my dancing abilities lacked for everything that night. All I remember was where in the world am I? what is going on? this so different from the Primary world I had stepped out of! I technically should have attended another dance at my Junior High but didn't and that is another story for another time! So, do you remember your first dance?

Yes, it was embarrassing. Many years of alcohol followed trying to erase its memory. Tried cutting, but ran out of skin. Finally said "fugetaboutit", and I did. Until you posted, now I have to start the whole cycle again.....

Yes, it was embarrassing. Many years of alcohol followed trying to erase its memory. Tried cutting, but ran out of skin. Finally said "fugetaboutit", and I did. Until you posted, now I have to start the whole cycle again.....

i'll send for Dr. Phil, just look at it this way maybe they'll give you a free shirt!

Hmm, I think I've repressed the awkward memory of my first youth dance, but I remember the first time I actually danced with a girl at one. Took the entire time to work up the courage to do it, asked on the last song...fun times...

I remember my first dance. I was twelve, attending a junior high school that was roughly 75 percent LDS. I was asked first, but by the third or fourth slow song I managed to build up enough guts to ask a girl who I liked at the time. I seem to remember having a lot more confidence at my first church-sponsored dance a few weeks later. It consisted mostly of my fellow school mates comprising two stakes in our area. Once I reached high school and "dating" age, I never missed a guys' choice dance, though I was admittedly less popular when it came to girls' choice dances. In an act of vengeance, I purposefully took girls from a neighboring rival high school to prom during my junior and senior years. :diablo:

After high school I didn't attend very many dances. My time at BYU-Idaho was just as socially awkward as it was when I was in junior high. Fortunately an attractive FHE sister changed that, and we've been stuck together ever since. :air_kiss:

I remember my first dance very well, and happily... but then I had an older sister (I was in 7th grade, she was in 9th). I had watched her attend dances and was really glad when I could also attend. She also taught me how to dance and we both loved dancing... I could jitterbug with the best of 'em. Not to mention cha-cha and bunnyhop, etc. Slow dancing was fun and I could follow just about anyone. I don't know if young people today know just how great the "big bands" were and how danceable the music was... fun dancing... not the gyrating, bumping/grinding dancing you see teens do today. The early 50's also saw the advent of Rock 'n Roll... and doo wop... my favorite was Fats Domino and "On Blueberry Hill."

In 7th grade, my first real dance was the "Back to School" dance at the Teen Canteen in our little community of Rialto, CA. (1952). We had a real active parent group who saw to it that we kids had a place to go that was safe and fun... every special holiday they would hold a semi-formal dance with a band... on Saturday nights it was the regular teen canteen where we would gather and dance to current records. There were games like ping pong and board games set up at one end of the school auditorium (a big room with stage at one end... at the other end they had the games and the refreshment stand. Proceeds from refreshments funded weekly trips on Wednesdays to the community swimming pool in Colton in summer and a monthly beach trip with transportation provided by school bus/driver). Our small town had 2 or 3 police officers total... and every Saturday night one was on duty (including Chief Sid Jones) at the Canteen to make sure everything went well and we all just had a good time.

I had terrific teen years... Happy Days was us... Thanks for the chance to bring these memories back as I really loved my teen years.

from the beach where there is 2" of snow on the ground!! The spring crocus are covered in snow! And we may get some more today. What's going on???

GG

GG... climate change. The Norwegians now say to expect the globe to cool off some because of a change in the solar spots or something.

Pendulum swings like a pendulum do...do you remember that song GG ?

Yes! What was the singer's name? Roger something... he used to sing those types of songs including the one about not being able to rollerskate...where? in a buffalo herd?

I also liked the "Platters" and Bill Haley was fun with his "See Ya Later, Allgator". Don't get me started... Ha! Them's were good days...

GG

Would rather not think about it. But I remember just about every dance I attended even the lame ones in middle school. Let's just say that I have only enjoyed dances were my wife attended. All the rest, I just don't care about.

I was in Grade Six when I attended my first dance. It would be an understatement to say the least that no one at that age was interested in dancing, girls on one side and boys on the other and a great gulf in the middle and the 2 teachers were smoking outside. I was 14.5 I think when I attended my first real live LDS dance in 1993 for Youth Conf. It was seriously like a jungle. There were so many people there, dressed up in the whole grunge scene, of which I was wha? and it was so hot in the gym, this one kid was swinging from the basketball Net and the Music was certaintly different from the Sharon, Lois, and Bram, Sesame Street stuff I knew. I wore a black sweater and I couldn't take it off because I had no undershirt on underneath so I was sweaty, hot and terribly itchy. I had no clue how to cut the rug and my dancing abilities lacked for everything that night. All I remember was where in the world am I? what is going on? this so different from the Primary world I had stepped out of! I technically should have attended another dance at my Junior High but didn't and that is another story for another time! So, do you remember your first dance?

Real men don't dance...so no. Billy Joel was wrong "you cannot dance and look tough anyway". :diablo:

1993 when I was in the 8th grade, I thought the Laurels were the cuttest and kept trying to dance with them, they thought I was cute and kept dancing with me. :) The other deacons were pansies