Seriously No Politics ×

Where In The Scriptures Does It Say That The Sacrament "Renews Our Baptismal Covenant"?

This conference talk may be helpful to you. Follow the scriptural references, they help put it all together.

The Book of Mormon passage that Bednar quotes doesn't support the proposition. I think the idea that the Sacrament renews the baptismal covenant is a 20th century innovation. In the 19th century, the way you renewed your baptismal covenant was to be rebaptized. See http://en.wikipedia....ism_(Mormonism).

Edited by Cobalt-70

I'm thinking maybe you didn't read the whole talk as well as look up each scriptural reference. If you do, I believe you will see the connection. I was able to see it clearly.

I believe in this principle and it makes sense to me but I'm just curious where it came from. I've never seen it said directly in the scriptures. Does anyone know who was the first Prophet/Apostle to teach this principle?

In my opinion, the term "renew" is incorrect. To renew something typically means that it had expired. I do not believe this is what we do with the sacrament because our baptism doesn't expire. Then too, the Book of Mormon speaks of our baptism being unto a covenant of repentance. The need for this never expires!

Rather, the prayers speak of the sacrament being for remembrance instead. Anyway, just my thoughts

I believe in this principle and it makes sense to me but I'm just curious where it came from. I've never seen it said directly in the scriptures. Does anyone know who was the first Prophet/Apostle to teach this principle?

The baptismal covenant was performed on you when you were asked things about the lord and the church and your worthiness; these are the promises you made and these are the promises you renew each time u worthly partake........:}

I'm thinking maybe you didn't read the whole talk as well as look up each scriptural reference. If you do, I believe you will see the connection. I was able to see it clearly.

Which scripture reference? It wasn't the one he cites on that particular point.

Hopefully this helps show you what I see in this. :)

Here are some highlighted points and scriptures from the talk:

The fundamental conditions of the covenant into which we entered in the waters of baptism are these: we witnessed that we were willing to take upon ourselves the name of Jesus Christ, that we would always remember Him, and that we would keep His commandments. The promised blessing for honoring this covenant is that we may always have His Spirit to be with us (see D&C 20:77).

We were baptized by immersion in water for the remission of sins. We must also be baptized by and immersed in the Spirit of the Lord, “and then cometh a remission of your sins by fire and by the Holy Ghost” (2 Ne. 31:17).

We should remember, however, that the covenant promise is that we may always have His Spirit to be with us. This supernal blessing applies to every single member of the Church who has been baptized, confirmed, and instructed to “receive the Holy Ghost.”

We also invite the ongoing companionship of the Holy Ghost as we worthily partake of the sacrament each Sabbath day: “And that thou mayest more fully keep thyself unspotted from the world, thou shalt go to the house of prayer and offer up thy sacraments upon my holy day” (D&C 59:9).

Through the ordinance of the sacrament we renew our baptismal covenant and can receive and retain a remission of our sins (see Mosiah 4:12, 26). In addition, we are reminded on a weekly basis of the promise that we may always have His Spirit to be with us.

Mosiah 4: 11,12

11…even so I would that ye should remember, and always retain in remembrance, the greatness of God, and your own cnothingness, and his dgoodness and long-suffering towards you, unworthy creatures, and humble yourselves even in the depths of ehumility, fcalling on the name of the Lord daily, and standing gsteadfastly in the faith of that which is to come, which was spoken by the mouth of the angel.

12 And behold, I say unto you that if ye do this ye shall always rejoice, and be filled with the alove of God, and always bretain a remission of your sins;

[My insert regarding the Sacrament]: “And this shall ye always do to those who repent and are baptized in my name; and ye shall do it in remembrance of my blood, which I have shed for you, that ye may witness unto the Father that ye do always remember me. And if ye do always remember me ye shall have my Spirit to be with you. 3Ne 18:11

“And that thou mayest more fully keep thyself unspotted from the world, thou shalt go to the house of prayer and offer up thy sacraments upon my holy day” (D&C 59:9).

This is a commandment with a promise. By participating weekly and appropriately in the ordinance of the sacrament we qualify for the promise that we will “always have his Spirit to be with [us]” (D&C 20:77). That Spirit is the foundation of our testimony. It testifies of the Father and the Son, brings all things to our remembrance, and leads us into truth.

So, what I get from all of this is that it’s all about the Atonement. When we partake of the sacrament worthily, we remember the sacrifice of our Lord and Savior, We take upon ourselves the name of our Savior and promise to always remember Him and to keep His commandments—that is, to “live by every word that proceedeth forth from the mouth of God” (D&C 84:44). When we remember these things, we have His spirit to be with us, to “more fully keep [us] unspotted …thus retaining a remission of our sins.