Seriously No Politics ×

What To Do When Retired?

cdowis

I am approaching retirement, but I'm worried that I will not be using my time productively. I want to get away from watching TV, reading the news, etc.

Right now I am already engaged in Family History and temple work. What else do you suggest?

Thanks.

Whatever I do, it has to be low cost.

I was thinking about doing volunteer work at a school. Perhaps tutoring reading, helping in the library where I can an opportunity to meet and talk with the students -- become a mentor. That role could expand into many areas. Work with one of the "minor" sports teams.

Anyone have any experience in working with schools?

Edited by cdowis

Hello cdowis...

Kudos to you for recognizing the need to plan ahead for activities after you retire. Having had personal experience with this, not only for myself and my husband, but also for friends who retired. It is incredibly important to have a reason to get up in the morning... it's nice to sleep in once or twice a week... not every day has to be filled with activity, but the point is to have several things that are of interest to you.

One friend retired and was driving his wife crazy, following her around the house making suggestions on how to do this or that... she was ready to explode. They finally worked it out.

My husband was an avid golfer, but playing golf every day gets old. That's why it's important to have several activities. (He set up a workshop in the garage and enjoyed woodworking for one thing).

I think you need a balance of activities... certainly at least one completely away from the Church... don't forget your local community center with swimming and exercise... and, maybe try something a little different... like an art class or glass fusion, etc. The tutoring/school idea you have sounds good. I think this would be better than, in retirement, having a foster child unless you really do want the problems of raising a child 24/7, particularly one that may have emotional or behavioral problems as many foster children do.

I do like the idea of a senior couples mission, but they are pretty expensive. I had thought about a mission but they discontinued the program that would have allowed me to afford to go on a single sister mission. They still have them, but are more expensive now. And if you have a temple nearby, don't forget about being an ordinance worker. I loved the almost six years that I served every Friday.

Again, I'm glad you're thinking ahead about this... it can certainly help you have a successful and enjoyable retirement.

All good wishes... from the beach... GG

I love my dad as does my mom, but my mom now gets no time to herself now that Dad is at home as he is constantly interrupting what she is doing asking for help with his projects, wanting her to go with him somewhere for company, coming in and turning on the TV without asking her, etc. She has found it impossible to keep to any routine, even an exercise one that my dad is pushing her to do for her health.

Any guy who is retiring should learn how to not interfere with his wife's necessary routines, including by just being present. A lot of women have not learned how to screen out the presence of others because they had to be aware of what was going on with their kids and they never lost that habit.

Whatever I do, it has to be low cost.

I was thinking about doing volunteer work at a school. Perhaps tutoring reading, helping in the library where I can an opportunity to meet and talk with the students -- become a mentor. That role could expand into many areas. Work with one of the "minor" sports teams.

Anyone have any experience in working with schools?

I've volunteered in some schools that required background checks so be prepared for that possibility.

A lot of women have not learned how to screen out the presence of others because they had to be aware of what was going on with their kids and they never lost that habit.

It's not just a habit, it's also physiological.

I wish I could find it, but there was a study where they took men and women, and then played two audio stories at the same time. The men and women were instructed to choose just one story to focus on. At the end of the study, they found that most women were unable to focus on just one story and instead jumped back and forth between the two. The men, on the other hand, were predominately able to focus on just one story and block out the other one. The study theorized that it had to do with our early history where women were largely responsible for child-rearing, and men were responsible for hunting/gathering.

It’s an innate ability for women to be aware of multiple things going on around them. It’s also an innate ability for men to be able to hone in on just one thing and block out all others (I’m sure every women has had the annoying experience of talking to a man who’s watching TV only to have the man not hear a single thing the woman said).

-------------------------

CDowis,

When I worked at a hospital many moons ago, we had a lot of retired people who volunteered in the gift shop, etc. Also, you may want to take up something you've always wanted to try now that you'll have the time to hone the craft. Something like wood-working, or a musical instrument.

Posted this is the wrong place earlier.....

The Church offers low cost missions that can be carried out locally. They aren't just about preaching the gospel either, there is much that can be done that is inexpensive.

Thanks so much. Really great ideas.

Based on your ideas,

-- start a hobby. learn the piano, gardening, increase my cooking skills, canning.

-- find something that I can do with my wife. She really wants to go on a mission, and we can find something here in Atlanta. No need to move.

-- keep a schedule of activities. otherwise I will do the default activities of watching TV, browsing the internet, etc. Have a daily goal.

This is in addition to my planned activities, such as family history and temple work, trading in the market, etc.

Thanks again.

Edited by cdowis

Don't retire.

There is nothing that says we have to stop working. In fact, Ive never understood why anyone would want to. The Lord told us to work 6 days and rest on the 7th. I dont remember Him saying to stop work altogether when you reach a certain age.

However, if you think retiring from your current job is the appropriate thing to do, I suggest talking with the Lord and figuring out how you can use your skills to further build up Zion. I very much encourage you to use your time wisely. Mentor someone. Share the Gospel. Find some way to serve your community and use the skills youve learned in your life even if you arent paid for it.

There is nothing that says we have to stop working. In fact, Ive never understood why anyone would want to. The Lord told us to work 6 days and rest on the 7th. I dont remember Him saying to stop work altogether when you reach a certain age.

I agree with this but retiring to me just means stop working for pay. :)

Do you think it is better to work til you drop, or should one consider going on a senior couple mission for the church.

I am still looking at my options -- I have a job interview tomorrow, and get calls from recruiters regularly. I have been working on contract, and my last contract ended recently.

But I wanted to look at "what if" I stayed out of the job market for awhile.

Edited by cdowis

Thanks so much. Really great ideas.

Based on your ideas,

-- start a hobby. learn the piano, gardening, increase my cooking skills, canning.

-- find something that I can do with my wife. She really wants to go on a mission, and we can find something here in Atlanta. No need to move.

-- keep a schedule of activities. otherwise I will do the default activities of watching TV, browsing the internet, etc. Have a daily goal.

This is in addition to my planned activities, such as family history and temple work, trading in the market, etc.

Thanks again.

I miss Atlanta, what a great city. Back in the 80's I was in Rosewell, and used to go to the Limelight, even danced with Stevie Nicks once, was a Dale Murphy fan too.

Edited by Jeff K.