Seriously No Politics ×

Thumbs Up For Utah Mormons.

AddamS

My wife and I had the misfortune of losing two great LDS men in the last two weeks and the distinct honor of being able to attend both of their memorial services.

It has been a hard couple of weeks. Please don't view the observation below as dismissing the gravity of the situation. We've just been looking for humor where we can find it lately.

The first was in California, where we live. I was suprised to find no funeral potatoes at the Relief Society luncheon after the services.

The second, a week later was in St. George, UT where they served no less than six different varieties of the LDS staple funeral cuisine.

I humbly submit Utah mormons are holding strong to first place in this category and wanted to give them a shout of praise. After a long, emotional service there is nothing that fits the definition and fills the need for comfort food like funeral potatoes.

The California luncheon was lovely and appreciated as well, I was just surprised by a lack of 'traditional' LDS foods (No Jell-O salad either!).

In an effort to keep the atmosphere light and since I live in Cali, I would be approaching the table and asking where the funeral potatoes and jello were to make the world seem better... :air_kiss: and then let the casual conversations start from there. Ice breakers are a good thing... :good:

My wife and I had the misfortune of losing two great LDS men in the last two weeks and the distinct honor of being able to attend both of their memorial services.

It has been a hard couple of weeks. Please don't view the observation below as dismissing the gravity of the situation. We've just been looking for humor where we can find it lately.

The first was in California, where we live. I was suprised to find no funeral potatoes at the Relief Society luncheon after the services.

The second, a week later was in St. George, UT where they served no less than six different varieties of the LDS staple funeral cuisine.

I humbly submit Utah mormons are holding strong to first place in this category and wanted to give them a shout of praise. After a long, emotional service there is nothing that fits the definition and fills the need for comfort food like funeral potatoes.

The California luncheon was lovely and appreciated as well, I was just surprised by a lack of 'traditional' LDS foods (No Jell-O salad either!).

On behalf of [Darn] Utah Mormons, I accept your compliment while, at the same time, being properly stand-offish and looking down my nose at you (I have a reputation to maintain).

I once attended a ward Christmas party where there were a dozen or so different offerings of funeral potatoes, each differing slightly from the others in ingredients or recipe, a veritable Yuletide festival of funeral potatoes. I was in cholesterol heaven.

Edited by Scott Lloyd

In an effort to keep the atmosphere light and since I live in Cali, I would be approaching the table and asking where the funeral potatoes and jello were to make the world seem better... :air_kiss: and then let the casual conversations start from there. Ice breakers are a good thing... :good:

I found it much better to just yell out "You call yourselves Saints?!?!?" and storm out while knocking a fruit tray to the ground.

;)

Bacon bits and a little green onion make all the difference. Also, lots of salt and pepper.

I found it much better to just yell out "You call yourselves Saints?!?!?" and storm out while knocking a fruit tray to the ground.

;)

Haha! I live in California, so I know of which you speak. We do love our raw fruits and veggies (with a little ranch on the side). :) You're lucky you didn't get some tofu (or maybe you did!) . :D

Courtesy of Scott Lloyd:

On behalf of [Darn] Utah Mormons ...
:rofl:

I'm not sure, precisely, why this struck me as funny, but it did. :) Thanks, Scott.

-Ken

AKA, the Board's answer to J. Golden Kimball, The Swearing Elder. :)

Courtesy of Scott Lloyd:

:rofl:

I'm not sure, precisely, why this struck me as funny, but it did. :) Thanks, Scott.

-Ken

AKA, the Board's answer to J. Golden Kimball, The Swearing Elder. :)

I take it that, by now, you've noticed my new member-title inspired by your exchange last week with another board contributor.

I recognize it would be much funnier to use the actual expletive rather than the euphemism encased in brackets, but I can't bear the thought of the pain it would bring to my saintly mother, God bless her memory, if I did.

I take it that, by now, you've noticed my new member-title inspired by your exchange last week with another board contributor.

Indeed I have. I'm not sure whether to be flattered or mortified! ;)

I recognize it would be much funnier to use the actual expletive rather than the euphemism encased in brackets ...

Oh, I'm not sure about that. I think your employment of the milder euphemism is precisely what stroked my funny bone. :)

... but I can't bear the thought of the pain it would bring to my saintly mother, God bless her memory, if I did.

Well, the last thing I would want you to do is to bring pain to your Saintly Mother. I'm not sure it pains her, but on occasion, when my written or spoken prose is of the [Ahem!] Bluer variety, my own mother has been known to sigh and roll her eyes at me. ;)

Oh, and to the subject of the thread, if there aren't funeral potatoes in Heaven, I don't want to go. ;)

Edited by Kenngo1969

Growing up, I noticed that the California mormons would refer to Utah mormons as: "those darn Utah mormons", and the Utah mormons would refer California mormons as: "those darn California mormons"... a bit sneetch-y.

Funny story though...I grew up in California, and my Dad had an old Navy buddy that lived in Utah, yes he was mormon from a staunch family. Whenever my dad's navy buddy would come visit us, he would drink coffee, smoke, and drink(made his wife mad).

Of course as a youngster, the only thing that I could think of to explain this was that Utah mormons could do those things, but California mormons could not.... :crazy:

Growing up, I noticed that the California mormons would refer to Utah mormons as: "those darn Utah mormons", and the Utah mormons would refer California mormons as: "those darn California mormons"... a bit sneetch-y.

Funny story though...I grew up in California, and my Dad had an old Navy buddy that lived in Utah, yes he was mormon from a staunch family. Whenever my dad's navy buddy would come visit us, he would drink coffee, smoke, and drink(made his wife mad).

Of course as a youngster, the only thing that I could think of to explain this was that Utah mormons could do those things, but California mormons could not.... :crazy:

Well ... I don't drink ... don't smoke ... don't drink coffee ... but I do swear occasionally [darn] it! One outta four [ain't?] bad? :D

P.S.: Whatever might be the difference between Utah Mormons and California Mormons, having served a mission among the latter, I never got the sense that any of them looked down their noses at me. ;) (Perhaps I just wasn't socially perceptive enough, or perhaps looking down one's nose at a missionary ... even a Utah missionary ... is/was considered tres gauche?)

Edited by Kenngo1969

Some years ago,a Stake President from my town was in SLC at the Church office building trying to get approval for a building here. He was kept waiting for quite a while and in frustration let slip a D#$@. He was chidded by the secretary for his language.His response was perfect. He said "Mam, I was a sheep herder long before I was a Stake President!"

Some years ago,a Stake President from my town was in SLC at the Church office building trying to get approval for a building here. He was kept waiting for quite a while and in frustration let slip a D#$@. He was chidded by the secretary for his language.His response was perfect. He said "Mam, I was a sheep herder long before I was a Stake President!"

If that Stake President is who I am thinking it is he was called to be a Mission President on the phone. His wife answered and said, "it's Pres. Monson for you" and he didn't clue in that it was THE President Monson and coming to the phone he exclaimed, "Who the $^%&^% is President Monson?" hahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahah! his grandson tells it better!-which isn't me!

Reminds me of a funny story. An old Southern Utah sheepherder was out attending to that occupation in the company of one of his children when something spooked the sheep and they began to scatter. Frustrated as the sheep made off for parts far hence, he started cussin' up a blue streak as he tried to herd them. His daughter said, "Dad, maybe we should say a prayer." Humbled at the suggestion, he joined his daughter in prayer. Later on, when his daughter told the story in fast and testimony meeting, she summed up with, "And we caught every one of the s--- of b------." ;):D:rofl:

What?

A funeral without enchiladas??

What's wrong with you people?

;)

What?

A funeral without enchiladas??

What's wrong with you people?

;)

at my funeral there won't be any food served whatsoever! I dislike the idea of having a funeral service and then eating afterwards, like "allright Magnus is in the ground, who's hungry? we got chips, dip, cookies and something to sip!" sounds weird!

at my funeral there won't be any food served whatsoever! I dislike the idea of having a funeral service and then eating afterwards, like "allright Magnus is in the ground, who's hungry? we got chips, dip, cookies and something to sip!" sounds weird!

It's all about being comforted. The funeral provides emotional and spiritual comfort, the buffet afterwards provides physical comfort.

It's all about being comforted. The funeral provides emotional and spiritual comfort, the buffet afterwards provides physical comfort.

A funeral is for the lliving; the dead are having one of the best reunions they will ever have. The living that have lost a loved one may be comforted by having friends and family around them. Not everyone is comforted by this type of thing, but many, if not most, are comforted. The food is really just something to do while fellowshipping and talking about the one passed on or other pertinent things.

Some funerals are easier than others. The passing of an elderly person that has enjoyed a long life can be relatively easy. However, the passing of a child can be quite difficult for the family. All they may really want is time to grieve. It is overwhelming and faces seem to blur because the heart is so broken. Regardless, we do our best to serve others in their time of need. Sometimes just being there is the best kind of support.

I've lived in California and Utah, so now I'm just darned all the time.

Since moving to Utah(something I swore I'd never do), been here 11 years now, I've come to discover that there isn't much of a difference between Utah mormons and California mormons. Utah mormons are more concentrated, but there are the same types in California, just fewer and further between.

In California, at least where I grew up, you didn't see ward members every day.