The Sacrament/Eucharist

aspire

I'm active LDS, but out of curiosity I'm attending a RCIA class. Last week the lesson was on the Eucharist and what it is suppose to mean to members of the RC. It gave me sonthing to think about. It's not something that is often testified about in LDS Sacrament meetings. So if you are LDS, RC, Protesant Christan or just have personal thoughts. What does the Sacrament/Eucharist mean to you?

Thank you!

The understanding from my LDS wife is that the purpose of the partaking of the LDS sacrament is to honor your covenants that you made in baptism and to be worthy to receive it.

Within the RCC, the purpose of dipping our finger in the water and making the sign of the cross as we enter/exit the church is done in rememberance of our baptismal covenants.

The definition of a sacrament in the RCC is as follows. "An outward sign, instituted by Christ, to give grace."

So the purpose of receiving the Eucharist is to be able to receive grace as instituted by Christ. We have the privelege to receive that grace daily. by going to Mass.

That said, we take Jn 6:36 quite literally especially since Christ consistently repeated himself.

John 6:35* Jesus said to them, “I am the bread of life; whoever comes to me will never hunger, and whoever believes in me will never thirst.q

So I have to definitely be worthy to receive Christ so that He can stregthen me in being His disciple. Catholics are in love with the Sacraments of the Church especially the Eucharist.

Edited by blueadept

The Sacrament's purpose, as stated above, is found in the prayers given prior to being passed to the congregation. In reality the Sacrament begins Saturday night when we should be reflecting on our actions of the past week, repenting of our sins, and preparing to renew our convenants we made at baptism. It is really very difficult to repent of our sins if we don't take the time to prepare for the Sacrament. Each week we take upon ourselves anew the name of Christ and committ to serve him and keep his commandments.

We partake of the bread and water in remembrance of his body and his blood, whereas our Catholic brothers and sisters believe they partake of the actual blood and flesh of Jesus Christ. As Blue stated above, Catholics are in love with their Sacrament of the Eucharist. If one believes that the host is actually Jesus Christ in the flesh, it is easy to understand why they can adore the host so much.