Seriously No Politics ×

Looks Like My Daughter Is Doing A Catholic Mission!

blueadept

Wonderful. I think it is always a great benefit to the young who get a chance to really serve others outside of their family and friends. Helps draw them out of themselves and opens up their eyes to other views.

And that's just the benefit for the missionary! For the ones they serve, so much more as well.

Excellent that she has such a strong desire to serve. I am sure you have heard other LDS often state, "When you are in the service of your fellow man you are only in the service of your God". I know that Catholics also have a very similar teaching in seeing Jesus in each individual and to love them, service them, is to serve God.

May God bless her that she grows ever closer to our Father in Heaven and that she may touch the lives of many as she serves them.

Hi blue adept.

God bless your daughter. I am sure her commitment is a great consolation to you. Will she be in D.C. or Missouri?

Our youngest daughter is 22, and lives just outside D.C., but works and goes to Mass in the city. She has discovered a lot of good, active, Catholic young people there.

Hi blue adept.

God bless your daughter. I am sure her commitment is a great consolation to you. Will she be in D.C. or Missouri?

Our youngest daughter is 22, and lives just outside D.C., but works and goes to Mass in the city. She has discovered a lot of good, active, Catholic young people there.

She will be flying out for a face-to-face and try out a taste of living like that for a weekend and then determine which site she will go to. So while my daughter may have some input, they'll put her where she's needed. Checking out the site, I believe it fits my daughter's personality to a tee in getting to know and helping the poor and in the process having her share the love of her faith. This will be awesome for her... :clapping:

• Adults living in Section 8 or Project housing. Most people we serve are single mothers with multiple children.
  • A variety of people who come to our door for help. Most of these people suffer from drug use, prostitution, and/or homelessness

That takes alot of courage and determination. I wish her all the best -- she is doing a great service.

The only stipulation I put on her was to keep her choice of missions within the U.S. and this was her top choice. :)

Don't feel like you need to limit her choices to the US. Foreign missions are wonderful and bring completely new sets of learning. Maybe she might have a chance to serve another mission and a foreign mission will be her calling. I recommend the French missions. The French are beautiful people and they also need others to help them along their spiritual path. Too many, far too many, are found at home on the Sabbath and never attending any church. There are many who suffer and could use a helping, loving hand of fellowship.

We will see what HF wants from her and where this may lead to that she is excited to follow. She's only 18 so I'm endorsing baby steps but the sky is the limit with either college or the possibility of doing a foreign mission at a later time. This is all new territory for me. I can't even suggest to her in how to handle her chaste relationship she's had for the past 3 years with her high school sweetheart. At this point, he is fine with her doing her 10 month mission with minimal contact. I'm even having trouble in making suggestions in what for her to give up for Lent so that she can be closer to Jesus.

I'm just happy she's going to be able to be an example in regards to living her faith

We will see what HF wants from her and where this may lead to that she is excited to follow. She's only 18 so I'm endorsing baby steps but the sky is the limit with either college or the possibility of doing a foreign mission at a later time. This is all new territory for me. I can't even suggest to her in how to handle her chaste relationship she's had for the past 3 years with her high school sweetheart. At this point, he is fine with her doing her 10 month mission with minimal contact. I'm even having trouble in making suggestions in what for her to give up for Lent so that she can be closer to Jesus.

I'm just happy she's going to be able to be an example in regards to living her faith

My son served his mission in France; I am a little partial since I also served there over 30 years ago. There are so many good things that can happen; so many opportunities for growth; so much time to devote to prayer, scripture study, contemplation, and service. May she feel the presence of the Holy Spirit always and learn to recognize his still, small voice from all the noise of mortality.

• Adults living in Section 8 or Project housing. Most people we serve are single mothers with multiple children.
  • A variety of people who come to our door for help. Most of these people suffer from drug use, prostitution, and/or homelessness

As I have been sharing my awesome news with my non-relgious co-workers and friends, I do believe they are questioning my sanity in allowing my 18 yo daughter to pursue such an adventure and fear for her safety for being in neighborhoods of this nature.

I'm becoming a little jealous of the large LDS network of support in their desire to send out their youth to do the calling of the Lord. The support system exists but it doesn't seem as recognizable as it is amongst my LDS friends.

As I have been sharing my awesome news with my non-relgious co-workers and friends, I do believe they are questioning my sanity in allowing my 18 yo daughter to pursue such an adventure and fear for her safety for being in neighborhoods of this nature.

I'm becoming a little jealous of the large LDS network of support in their desire to send out their youth to do the calling of the Lord. The support system exists but it doesn't seem as recognizable as it is amongst my LDS friends.

A lot of us have been there and know the fruits of such service. Keep being awesome and keep encouraging your children to do the same!

When is she heading out?

She will be flying out for a long weekend sometimes in the next couple months and spend a weekend in that life style and make sure there's no obvious issues. She'll start her 10 months of service on Aug 1st which is fine since she graduates HS in June.