Romney, Mormonism, And The American Compromise

Calm

Please keep partisan politics out of topic.

A great essay by Terryl Givens:

http://divinity.uchicago.edu/martycenter/publications/sightings/archive_2012/0216.shtml

In the century since the Chicago fair, Mormons have been lauded for their choirs and their football. They are largely respected as good, decent, family-centered people, who are welcome to sing for presidents and dance with the stars—and everyone agrees to avoid theological questions. But as presidential nominations near, Romney's candidacy threatens this compromise, because what a Mormon presidential candidate actually believes seems far too important to table. And when Mormon theology enters the public discussion, the words Charles ****ens wrote in 1851 strike many as still apt: "What the Mormons do, seems to be excellent; what they say, is mostly nonsense."

But this is only true because in acquiescing to the compromise, Mormons have largely left others to frame the theological discussion. In opting to emphasize Mormon culture over Mormon theology, Mormons have too often left the media and ministers free to select the most esoteric and idiosyncratic for ridicule. So jibes about Kolob and magic underwear usurp serious engagement, much as public knowledge about the Amish is confined to a two-dimensional caricature involving a horse and buggy. But members of a faith community should recognize themselves in any fair depiction. And it is the fundamentals of Mormonism that should ground any debate worth having about Mormon beliefs or Mormon membership in the Christian community.

Also please do not take the topic off topic by debating what are and what aren't the fundamentals beliefs. For the purpose of this thread, if you feel the need to mention a specific belief, please assume that Brother Givens' constructions are givens (I know, bad....).

They left out ****en's explanation as to why it was nonsense, i.e. seeing visions in the age of railways.

In other words, because we have technology visions are ridiculous. In the distant past they are fine.

Mr ****en's actions, and the actions of his fictional characters, seem to be excellent, what he says is mostly nonsense.

Edit: Silliest censoring EVAR!!!!!!

mbh, please remember:

Please keep partisan politics out of topic.

Your comment has nothing to do with the topic.

ss, you don't have to reply to off topic posts on the principle just because you disagree with them. Please instead keep quiet yourself and just report them as off topic rather than continuing the derail.

I'd rather the thread die than get off topic in this case.

Thank you both (assuming you will do as I ask).

This is true. Romney cannot be peeled away from being a Latter-day Saint anymore than it can from either you or I. The Church is not some compartmentalized thing that is easily set aside with specific borders which may or may not impact our lives. It is integral to who we are. While not being a Latter-day Saint may make Romney's chances for the presidency better, not being a Latter-day Saint would make Romney a different man than who he is today.

I remember talking with an associate about the church. His basic argument was that if the church were true, why do so many criticize it. I asked him, "If there was the true church of Christ on the earth, how would the other churches, the world, the media react? What would they say."

I personally enjoy the mockery, the criticism. It is in fulfullment of the scriptures -- what if everyone agreed with us and lavished praise on us. What if they actually told only the truth about the church. It just wouldn't be the same.

A guest on a radio talk show said that Romney had to overcome the "weirdness" factor,similar to Kennedy and Carter.The radio host stated that,from a leadership perspective,Romney had clearly show his worth in business,government and charitable work. The Mormons he knew were hardworking,honest,charitable and patriotic...in other words real Americans. So,as has been said above,the people have no problem with the Mormon culture,just the weird theology.

They left out ****en's explanation as to why it was nonsense, i.e. seeing visions in the age of railways. In other words, because we have technology visions are ridiculous. In the distant past they are fine. Mr ****en's actions, and the actions of his fictional characters, seem to be excellent, what he says is mostly nonsense. Edit: Silliest censoring EVAR!!!!!!

I think that Charles Richardens was an excellent author.

I also like Herman Mellville's Moby Richard. :rofl:

A guest on a radio talk show said that Romney had to overcome the "weirdness" factor,similar to Kennedy and Carter.The radio host stated that,from a leadership perspective,Romney had clearly show his worth in business,government and charitable work. The Mormons he knew were hardworking,honest,charitable and patriotic...in other words real Americans. So,as has been said above,the people have no problem with the Mormon culture,just the weird theology.

Well, they've managed to overcome the fact that a good Catholic will enter a little booth and anonymously confess to some guy through a little screen every one of his peccadilloes committed since the last such session, and on Sunday will drink a little wine and eat a little wafer that he actually believes is literally the blood and body of Christ. The guy behind the screen will kiss a sacred garment before donning it, and though he's not married and probably has no children, yet he's referred to reverently as Father. What's more, all these people eat fish on Fridays religiously (the reason why Catholics were given the nickname used in some quarters: "mackerell snappers").

Yes, yes, I know the Friday fish thing isn't current, but I'm sure some people still think it is.

And I'm not trying to be offensive here. I actually like the Catholic Church and think the Pope is a swell guy. It's just that hardly anyone has a problem with Santorum being Catholic, and they're at least as weird as we are.

Oh, just testing: I like bass fishing. How come I can type bASS and not D I C K ens?

calmoriah:

Reagan was a Presbyterian. Did that make him a good President? No, it was immaterial to his presidency.

Kennedy was a Catholic. Did that make him a good President? No. He answered to the American people not the Pope.

Romney, assuming he is elected, is a Mormon. Would that fact make him a better President. No, if history is any indication, the religion of a president has little to nothing to do with how they govern.

You are reading more into it than I posted.

Archived