Seriously No Politics ×

Gary Crowton-Is He A Member?

Duncan

It is BYU policy that the head football coach and the head mens basketball coach be active members of the church. In fact, an interview with a member of the Board of Trustees (in other words, a member of the 12) is part of the hiring process for these positions. Assistant coaches and head coaches of minor/olympic sports can be non members. I don't think that LDS who do not have or would not qualify for a temple recommend can be employed by BYU in any capacity.

My understanding is that All BYU employees (BYU, BYI-I, BYU Hawaii) all must be active temple recommend holders. If they were, and then cannot get a temple recommend, they are released from employment. I got stories ....

Members of the church who are employees must have a recommend, or if they are unendowed, an annual statement from their bishop that they would qualify for one. I personally knew several teachers at BYU who were not members. The had to agree to live the Honor Code, though I think an exception was granted for coffee and tea. If they were members of another religion, they were expected to practice it and attend their meetings. I'm not 100% sure about this, but I believe BYU has a non-LDS chaplain, whose job it is to be the spiritual advisor to non-LDS students and when appropriate, employees.

Members of the church who are employees must have a recommend, or if they are unendowed, an annual statement from their bishop that they would qualify for one. I personally knew several teachers at BYU who were not members. The had to agree to live the Honor Code, though I think an exception was granted for coffee and tea. If they were members of another religion, they were expected to practice it and attend their meetings. I'm not 100% sure about this, but I believe BYU has a non-LDS chaplain, whose job it is to be the spiritual advisor to non-LDS students and when appropriate, employees.

BYU has quite a lot of non-LDS faculty.

I'm not 100% sure about this, but I believe BYU has a non-LDS chaplain, whose job it is to be the spiritual advisor to non-LDS students and when appropriate, employees.

http://universe2.byu.edu/node/7639

The previous one, Paul Warner, was LDS apparently so I assume this one is as well. I would think it would be likely to have an LDS in the position so they could help nonLDS students figure out some of the nuances of LDS culture and how best to respond in a constructive rather than defensive way, plus I think bishops and branch presidents would take counsel to tell their students to back off from pressuring nonLDS students with overzealous missionary tactics more seriously.

There are nonLDS spiritual advisers available in the greater community for specific religious counseling so I don't see that it is necessary to have a generic nonLDS nonLDS chaplain on campus as well.

Edited by calmoriah