Seriously No Politics ×

Moroni On The Calgary Temple

darkrats

Cool! I don't know why, but I always assumed that the angel was installed after the outside was otherwise completed. I learned something new!

Calmoriah will tan my hide for saying this but Calgary is a little different from other cities in the wonder that is Western Canada...!

Edited by Duncan

Calmoriah will tan my hide for saying this but Calgary is a little different from other cities in the wonder that is Western Canada...!

Not in the least. Of course Calgary is a little different, it has to be since it is the best of the best. ;)

While we lived there, the area of the city where we lived was judged the best place to live in Calgary, while Calgary was judged in another survey as the best place to live in Canada while in yet another survey, Canada was judged the best country to live in....thus making where we lived the best place to live in the world....which we wholeheartedly agree with at the time (alas, our needs are different these days and thus our life is better now where we live than if we had stayed in Canada, but my dream would be to have a Canadian home so that we could be there half of the year and down here the other half, or even better somehow take where we live now and mash it into where we lived then with a touch or two of Wichita, Kansas---they had a great zoo and the Jazz Festival among other stuff....and come up with the best of all worlds possible.)

Edited by calmoriah

Not in the least. Of course Calgary is a little different, it has to be since it is the best of the best. ;)

While we lived there, the area of the city where we lived was judged the best place to live in Calgary, while Calgary was judged in another survey as the best place to live in Canada while in yet another survey, Canada was judged the best country to live in....thus making where we lived the best place to live in the world....which we wholeheartedly agree with at the time (alas, our needs are different these days and thus our life is better now where we live than if we had stayed in Canada, but my dream would be to have a Canadian home so that we could be there half of the year and down here the other half, or even better somehow take where we live now and mash it into where we lived then with a touch or two of Wichita, Kansas---they had a great zoo and the Jazz Festival among other stuff....and come up with the best of all worlds possible.)

good, good!

I thought Calgary traffic was nuts until i drove through "Zion" on a Sunday morning at 7 am. Traffic never let up until Brigham City. The new Calgary temple is OK ,but the Frank Lloyd Wright inspired Cardston temple is still the coolest ( if one can say a temple is "cool" )

I thought Calgary traffic was nuts until i drove through "Zion" on a Sunday morning at 7 am. Traffic never let up until Brigham City. The new Calgary temple is OK ,but the Frank Lloyd Wright inspired Cardston temple is still the coolest ( if one can say a temple is "cool" )

I miss the Cardston Temple trips. I have only been a few times. I don't miss Cardston so much as the Bookstore, the Dairy Queen there, and the cowboy hats! We don't see that here at all

I miss the Cardston Temple trips. I have only been a few times. I don't miss Cardston so much as the Bookstore, the Dairy Queen there, and the cowboy hats! We don't see that here at all

No Dairy Queen? What a shame. I got hooked on their ice cream pizza when one of my kids' best friend's parents owned a DQ and the mom was always bringing over ice cream pizzas when we babysat or tutored (they were immigrants from Korea) which was quite often. Yum, yum.

Great bookstore too. It is owned (last I heard) by the same man who owns the bookstore I worked at in Calgary....but it was so much bigger. Used to call it alot to see if it had something we lacked.

My husband still has a huge white cowboy hat sitting in his closet (nicely stored so it doesn't get dusty). He wore it on proper occasions....usually when hosting a conference, occasionally representing the UofC elsewhere as a team (they'd all be in suits and white hats)....definitely the good guys. ;) Personally I can't think of anything sillier than a white cowboy hat, the first time it falls off into a pile of cow manure, so much for the white. I'd rather get a Mountie hat though I also think the red uniforms were silly, not because they aren't stylish because they look great...especially in the sights of a rifle. Priced them once, not cheap so I restrained myself.

Edited by calmoriah

I went for the rededication in 1991, amazing experience!

Can't believe it was that long ago. For some reason I thought it was late 90's, but I think I'm mixing up which of my kids we took (our son would have been nine in 91, our daughter in 99)....honestly those years are kind of blurry due to high sleep deprivation (prior to getting diagnosed with my sleep disorder). I call them my Zombie years. But the temple itself stands out in my memory. We were sitting in the front coat cubby right by the main door into the temple for our session of the dedication. I laughed about that as we didn't even make it to the front desk so did it really count for being in the temple? They used every last inch of space to get as many people in as possible. No empty seats that day. Of course where we sat didn't matter, there were TVs everywhere so we saw the dedication as well as anyone else save for those actually in the room.

I prefer the beautiful woods and deeper colours of Cardston rather than the gold and whites that are typical in a temple (the ones I've been in at least) plus getting up and moving from room to room up the staircase to the celestial room really imparts the symbolism of the endowment for me. The golds and whites create a sense of reverence for me, but the woods and the blues and other colours made me feel at home. I so wish the moving from room to room was done in the temples down here (especially since the movement helps with my disorder) but I understand time and space limitations. Never went enough, especially in the later years due to the car drive as I couldn't last 6 hours in a car in one day and we couldn't afford to stay overnight. I would love to find some nice pictures of how it looks indoors, but there are few and most of them look awkward to me....not professional. And really now that I think of it, what I want is closeups of the trim and decorative/symbolic bits more than the rooms as a whole.

I may have been married in the Oakland temple, but the Cardston temple is "my temple".

Edited by calmoriah

No Dairy Queen? What a shame. I got hooked on their ice cream pizza when one of my kids' best friend's parents owned a DQ and the mom was always bringing over ice cream pizzas when we babysat or tutored (they were immigrants from Korea) which was quite often. Yum, yum.

Great bookstore too. It is owned (last I heard) by the same man who owns the bookstore I worked at in Calgary....but it was so much bigger. Used to call it alot to see if it had something we lacked.

My husband still has a huge white cowboy hat sitting in his closet (nicely stored so it doesn't get dusty). He wore it on proper occasions....usually when hosting a conference, occasionally representing the UofC elsewhere as a team (they'd all be in suits and white hats)....definitely the good guys. ;) Personally I can't think of anything sillier than a white cowboy hat, the first time it falls off into a pile of cow manure, so much for the white. I'd rather get a Mountie hat though I also think the red uniforms were silly, not because they aren't stylish because they look great...especially in the sights of a rifle. Priced them once, not cheap so I restrained myself.

We do have DQ here but I seem to recall the DQ out there was sensational! Yeah the white hat look...I heard about a site that has the funniest pictures from the stampede, I haven't ever been but it's something to see. Up until maybe a few years I though the Calgary stampede was some huge marathon, like when Calgarians run down the street...like a stampede...but apparently its a huge rodeo thing!

Can't believe it was that long ago. For some reason I thought it was late 90's, but I think I'm mixing up which of my kids we took (our son would have been nine in 91, our daughter in 99)....honestly those years are kind of blurry due to high sleep deprivation (prior to getting diagnosed with my sleep disorder). I call them my Zombie years. But the temple itself stands out in my memory. We were sitting in the front coat cubby right by the main door into the temple for our session of the dedication. I laughed about that as we didn't even make it to the front desk so did it really count for being in the temple? They used every last inch of space to get as many people in as possible. No empty seats that day. Of course where we sat didn't matter, there were TVs everywhere so we saw the dedication as well as anyone else save for those actually in the room.

I prefer the beautiful woods and deeper colours of Cardston rather than the gold and whites that are typical in a temple (the ones I've been in at least) plus getting up and moving from room to room up the staircase to the celestial room really imparts the symbolism of the endowment for me. The golds and whites create a sense of reverence for me, but the woods and the blues and other colours made me feel at home. I so wish the moving from room to room was done in the temples down here (especially since the movement helps with my disorder) but I understand time and space limitations. Never went enough, especially in the later years due to the car drive as I couldn't last 6 hours in a car in one day and we couldn't afford to stay overnight. I would love to find some nice pictures of how it looks indoors, but there are few and most of them look awkward to me....not professional. And really now that I think of it, what I want is closeups of the trim and decorative/symbolic bits more than the rooms as a whole.

I may have been married in the Oakland temple, but the Cardston temple is "my temple".

I should get back out there, it sounds great! The last time I was there was 1993! Yeah, it does have a distinct look to it, with all that wood and "old chief"? mountain. Its crazy how its just plop down in the town and you can see it seemingly everywhere! Wateron lakes are Gorge! Cameron Falls, that huge hotel thing place, I dont know the name of it. I went to Alberta back 2010 for the first time in 9 years! Went mountain hiking and drove into Calgary-I want to go back, I have great friends there!

Edited by Duncan

Years ago, like 20+, my dear hubby and I would often get to western Canada on business...

One time we had a meeting where part of the program was a "White Hat" ceremony, where we were given white hats and deemed honorary Calgarians. We had about 60 people in attendance, all wearing white hats... I loved it!

I'll never forget how all through the years I had heard about the Calgary Stampede and knew that it was a wonderful event and rodeo. So I was expecting this western style town. Imagine my surprise as we flew into Calgary to look out the window and see this huge, sprawling city!

I still have my white hat...

GG

We do have DQ here but I seem to recall the DQ out there was sensational! Yeah the white hat look...I heard about a site that has the funniest pictures from the stampede, I haven't ever been but it's something to see. Up until maybe a few years I though the Calgary stampede was some huge marathon, like when Calgarians run down the street...like a stampede...but apparently its a huge rodeo thing!

It is THE Rodeo.

It's the Stampede's Centennial this year: http://calgarystampe...centennial.html

Probably a good year to go if you can make it. Hokey motto though ("We're Greatest Together" isn't bad, but then they divide up by activity into "Together We Dance", "Together We Dress" (I certainly hope not!), Together We Dine (if they are paying for it, I'm in), "Together We Create", and last "Together We Ride" (no way knowing what happened last time I got on a horse....my meds and very large four legged, not terribly bright animals that can crush me at their will do not mix).

Edited by calmoriah

I grew up where I-15 crosses the Alberta/Montana border. I share the good memories of Cardston temple trips others have mentioned. Our ward's tradition was to go to Dairy Queen. My family traditionally went to a convenience store for fried chicken and potato wedges. It's my favorite in appearance as well.

I used to have an AoF card with the temple and another site, Chief Mountain, that once was nearly as sacred until it became open to tourists.

Yours under the oaks of memory,

Nathair /|\

I grew up where I-15 crosses the Alberta/Montana border. I share the good memories of Cardston temple trips others have mentioned. Our ward's tradition was to go to Dairy Queen. My family traditionally went to a convenience store for fried chicken and potato wedges. It's my favorite in appearance as well.

I used to have an AoF card with the temple and another site, Chief Mountain, that once was nearly as sacred until it became open to tourists.

Yours under the oaks of memory,

Nathair /|\

see, I am not the only one who remembers the Cardston Dairy Queen!