Seriously No Politics ×

Obligatory Christmas Recipe Thread

selek1

Seems like I post one of these every year, so here goes.

Some old favorite, some new.

Four Cheese Fonduta

Ingredients:

1 loaf Italian bread, such as ciabatta or semolina, sliced into 1/4-inch slices

1 c. sour cream

1 tsp. thyme

1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper

1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper

3 c. shredded mozzarella or smoked mozzarella cheese*

3 c. shredded smoked provolone or provolone cheese*

3 Tbsp. grated Parmesan cheese

3 Tbsp. grated Romano cheese

8 tsp. fresh diced tomatoes

Fresh chopped parsley

(*This recipe calls for one of these two cheeses to be smoked and one to be regular)

Directions:

Arrange sliced Italian bread flat on a baking sheet and cover with foil. Set aside until ready to use.

Preheat oven to 450 F.

Combine sour cream, thyme, red pepper, cayenne pepper and four cheeses in a large bowl and blend thoroughly. If serving family style, spray an 8" x 10" casserole dish with pan spray, then use a spatula to transfer the mixture. For individual servings, spray eight individual heat-resistant serving bowls, such as souffle cups, with pan spray and fill each with 1/2 c. of mixture. Place individual bowls on a baking sheet.

Using a large spoon, spread cheese mixture to create an even surface. Place casserole dish or baking sheet with individual bowls on center rack in oven. After five minutes, place baking sheet with bread, still covered, on top rack in oven. Bake for an additional five minutes. Remove bread and fonduta from oven.

Garnish casserole dish with diced tomatoes and parsley in center of fonduta or divide evenly among smaller bowls. Arrange bread slices around bowl(s) and serve immediately.

Serving Size: Makes 8 Servings

Peanut Brittle

1 1/4 cup Sugar

1/2 teaspoon Salt (only when using unsalted peanuts)

1/2 cup light corn syrup

1/4 cup water

1 1/2 cup peanuts

1 teaspoon non-lumpy baking soda

3 drops yellow and red food coloring

Greased (buttered) 15 1/2 x 12 cookie sheet

In heavy 1 1/2 quart saucepan, stir together sugar, salt, corn syrup, and water. Over medium heat, stirring constantly, bring to boil. Clip candy thermometer to pan.

Without stirring, boil until candy thermometer reads 280 degrees. Add peanuts gradually to keep mixture boiling.

Stirring often, cook until candy thermometer reads 300 degrees (hard crack stage).

Off heat, quickly, but gently stir in baking soda, keeping as many bubbles intact as possible. Pour at once into middle of cookie sheet and allow to cool.

Break into pieces, and store tightly covered. Makes 1 1/4 lbs.

This is an old-family recipe that's been in my family for three generations now. It was handed down from Ann Landers (my Mom clipped it out of the newspaper when I was 8 ). The original recipe called for using dark corn syrup and omitted the food coloring. I found that by using light syrup instead, the candy came out pretty much clear (without altering the flavor of the candy), and I could use the food coloring to customize it.

One of my favorite things to do is make two batches of brittle right around the holidays, coloring one green and the other red. Mixing the batches makes a nice red/green color scheme for Christmas goody baskets.

Cinnamon Raisin Bread

Prep Time: 30 minutes

Cook Time: 45 min

Oven: 350OF

Ready In: 3 hours 20 min

Makes: Three loaves

Ingredients

1 ½ cups milk

1 cup warm water (110OF/ 45OC)

2 .25 oz packages active dry yeast

3 eggs

½ cup white sugar

1 teaspoon salt

½ cup margarine, softened

1 cup raisins

8 cups all purpose flour

2 tablespoons of milk

¾ cup white sugar

2 table spoons ground cinnamon

2 tablespoons butter, melted

Directions:

Warm the milk in a small saucepan until it bubbles, then remove from heat. Let cool until lukewarm. Dissolve yeast in warm water, and set aside until yeast is frothy. Mix in eggs, ½ cup sugar , butter or margarine, salt, and raisins. Stir in cooled milk. Add the flour gradually to make a stiff dough.

Knead the dough on a lightly floured surface for a few minutes until smooth. Place in a large, greased mixing bowl, and turn to grease the surface of the dough. Cover with a damp cloth and allow to rise until doubled (60 to 90 minutes).

Roll out on a lightly floured surface into a large rectangle ½ inch thick. Moisten (brush) dough with 2 table spoons milk.

Mix ¾ cup sugar and 2 table spoons cinnamon, and sprinkle mixture on top of moistened dough. Roll up tightly; the roll should be about 3 inches in diameter. Cut into thirds and tuck ends under.

Place loaves into well-greased 9x5 inch pans. Lightly grease tops of loaves. Let rise again for 1 hour.

Bake at 350OF (175 OC) for 45 minutes or until loaves are lightly browned or sound hollow when knocked.

Remove loaves from pans and brush with melted butter or margarine. Let cool before slicing.

Sour Cream Banana Bread

Recipe Yield 4 - 7x3 inch loaves

Ingredients

1/4 cup white sugar

1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

3/4 cup butter

3 cups white sugar

3 eggs

6 very ripe bananas, mashed

1 (16 ounce) container sour cream

2 teaspoons vanilla extract

2 teaspoons ground cinnamon

1/2 teaspoon salt

3 teaspoons baking soda

4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour

1 cup chopped walnuts (optional)

Directions

Preheat oven to 300 degrees F (150 degrees C). Grease four 7x3 inch loaf pans. In a small bowl, stir together 1/4 cup white sugar and 1 teaspoon cinnamon. Dust pans lightly with cinnamon and sugar mixture.

In a large bowl, cream butter and 3 cups sugar. Mix in eggs, mashed bananas, sour cream, vanilla and cinnamon. Mix in salt, baking soda and flour. Stir in nuts. Divide into prepared pans.

Bake for 1 hour, until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.

Cream Cheese Pecan Pie

Ingredients:

1 8-ounce package cream cheese, at room temperature

1/3 cup sugar

1 egg

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1/4 teaspoon salt

1-1/2 cups chopped pecans

1 cup light corn syrup (Karo)

1/4 cup sugar

3 eggs, beaten well with a fork

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1 unbaked 9-inch pie shell

Directions:

Preheat oven to 375°F.

Combine the cream cheese and 1/3 cup sugar in a bowl. Beat at high speed with an electric mixer until fluffy. Add 1 egg, 1 teaspoon vanilla and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Blend well. Pour into the pie shell. Sprinkle the pecans evenly over the cream cheese mixture.

Combine the corn syrup, 1/4 cup sugar, 3 beaten eggs and vanilla, mixing well. Carefully pour mixture over the pecan layer.

Bake at 375°F for 35 to 40 minutes or until set. Allow to cool completely, then refrigerate for 2 to 3 hours before serving.

Cinnamon Fudge

Original Recipe Yield 2 pounds

Ingredients

1 1/2 pounds premium white chocolate or confectioners' coating

1 (14 ounce) can Sweetened Condensed Milk (NOT evaporated milk)

Dash salt

1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract OR

1-3 drops cinnamon oil, mint oil, or peppermint oil (optional, to taste)

1 cup chopped nuts (optional)

Directions:

In heavy saucepan, over low heat, melt chocolate with sweetened, condensed milk and salt. Remove from heat; stir in vanilla (or preferred flavor oil) and nuts. Spread evenly into wax paper lined 8- or 9-inch square pan.

For added color, add one or more drops of food coloring, then draw color through fudge in a spiral pattern with handle end of wooden spoon.

Chill 2 hours or until firm. Turn fudge onto cutting board, peel off paper and cut into squares. Store leftovers tightly covered at room temperature.

Key Lime Cheesecake

Original Recipe Yield 1 - 9 inch cheesecake

Ingredients

1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs

6 tablespoons butter, melted

32 ounces (4 blocks) cream cheese, softened

1 ¼ cup white sugar

1 tablespoon cornstarch

4 eggs

1 tablespoon grated lime zest

1/3 cup lime juice

1/3 cup lemon juice

Directions

Combine cookie or graham cracker crumbs with butter or margarine. Press into bottom and partially up sides of 9 inch springform pan. Refrigerate.

In a large bowl, beat with an electric mixer the cream cheese, sugar, lime peel, and cornstarch until smooth and fluffy. Beat in eggs one at a time, blending just until smooth. Add key lime juice with mixer on low. Finish mixing by hand. Do not overbeat, or cake will crack during baking. Pour batter into prepared crust.

Bake at 300 degrees F (150 degrees C) for 55 to 65 minutes, or until set. To minimize cracking, place a shallow pan half full of hot water on lower rack during baking.

Turn oven off, and let cheesecake stand in oven 30 minutes with the door open at least 4 inches. Remove from oven. Refrigerate cake overnight, and up to three days.

Traditional Cheesecake

Original Recipe Yield 1 - 9 inch springform pan

Ingredients

1 cup graham cracker crumbs

1/4 cup finely chopped walnuts

3 tablespoons brown sugar

1 tablespoon ground cinnamon

1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg

5 tablespoons butter, melted

3 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese

1 cup white sugar

1 cup sour cream

1 cup heavy cream

3 tablespoons all-purpose flour

1 tablespoon vanilla extract

3 eggs

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). In a medium bowl, combine graham cracker crumbs, chopped walnuts, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and melted butter. Mix well and press into the bottom of a 9 inch springform pan. Bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool.

In a large bowl, beat cream cheese and sugar together until smooth. Beat in sour cream and heavy cream. Blend in the flour and vanilla. With mixer on low speed, add eggs one at a time. Pour batter over crust.

Bake in the preheated oven for 60 to 70 minutes, or until center is almost set (filling will be soft). Refrigerate at least 6 hours or overnight before removing from pan.

Eggnog Pumpkin Pie

Ingredients

1-1/2 cups canned pumpkin

1-1/4 cups eggnog

2/3 cup sugar

3 eggs

1 teaspoon cinnamon

1 teaspoon nutmeg

1/4 teaspoon salt

1 9-inch pie crust, unbaked

Directions

Mix together pumpkin, eggnog, sugar, eggs, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. Pour mixture into pie crust.

Bake at 375 degrees for 1 hour. Cool on wire rack for at least one hour. Refrigerate for one hour before serving. Garnish with whipped cream (as desired).

Selek!!

By time I got half way through your recipes my mouth was actually watering!

And I'm definitely going to try some... I made my first cheesecake just before Thanksgiving and it turned out delicious (used a regular recipe). I have to be careful about sugar intake, but I just can't pass up a couple of these recipes...

Hope you're having a good holiday... and looking forward to the New Year.

GG

I really want to try that cream cheese pecan pie! That sounds delicious!

For those who like cheesecake, but want to limit fat, use 'lite'version of Philly cream cheese, it's actually neufchâtel cheese and is as delicious as regular cream cheese, but 1/3 the fat. Most 'lite' versions I find disgusting, this is one I actually prefer. Unless you are in Canada, at least while we lived there the 'lite' version was a processed version that didn't taste the same, so there look in the speciality cheese section for neufchâtel instead.

Cooking Light is an excellent cooking magazine for finding alternative healthier versions, you can find alot of their recipes online as well. Can't remember if their cheesecake recipe is online, but it was the best cheesecake I ever tasted and very easy to make.

Ps: not online, looks like older recipes aren't listed, will try to find it in my files.

Edited by calmoriah

Thanks for the tip Calmoriah. I haven't tried the reduced fat cream cheese...I don't think I've even seen it. Will have to take a closer look, next time I'm shopping.

I have a great holiday fudge recipe, one that I make every year, but I don't have it saved online. I'll have to do that, when I find some time.

If you shop at Walmart, you should find it right next to the regular Philly cream cheese, if you buy the store or other brands, make sure it says neufchâtel on it as some use the altered/processed cream cheese instead. I would think most stores have them next to each other, the boxes are practically identical. I suspect it is likely cheaper buying neufchatel as the 'lite' version rather than a speciality item like goat cheese.

Thanks! I'm sure it is in plain sight and I have just not been paying attention. :)