Seriously No Politics ×

Christopher Hitchens RIP

Daniel Peterson

I enjoyed watching him debate. He had a good sense of humor and was very bright and articulate. He will be missed..

The british edition of his memoirs had a cover of him as a young man smoking a cigarette. This edition was planned before he was diagnosed with cancer. It was a little ironic to see that cover when the news came out at about the same time the book was published that he was diagnosed with cancer.

Hitchens did much in his later life to lead people away from god. And he was very effective and in death he will continue to be effective. A couple of books have been published by him in his last couple of years about atheism. And recently his essays were just published.

His death is a shock because there was nothing in the news about him being in a bad way.

I enjoyed watching him debate. He had a good sense of humor and was very bright and articulate. He will be missed..

I remember when I was younger I would read his articles in The Nation. But when the Iraq war was in its womb, he began to support the start of war against Iraq. The progressives were very disappointed in him for switching sides. I think that he will be missed by the atheists. And maybe he will be missed by the progressives. But I am not sure that the EVs will miss him or for that matter religious people in general.

Also, when he wrote a small book about Mother Theresa and the Missionaries of Charity that she founded, he entitled that book "The Missionary Position". It wasn't his finest moment.

But all in all, I think that Hitchens had a good heart especially when he was leftwing, writing for The Nation.

blackstrap:

Why would you say such a thing. There is no indications that Mr. Hitchens in this life ever heard the Restored Gospel in full, was ever a member of the Church, ever had the Heavens opened up to him, and knew for a fact that Jesus is the Christ, then rejected that testimony of the Holy Ghost.

No doubt that Mr. Hitchens is now receiving quite an education right now, as we all will when we pass beyond The Veil.

It's been reported that Christopher Hitchens, who was suffering from esophageal cancer, has died.

He was a very talented polemicist and writer, and will be missed.

I trust that he's already had a very, very big surprise, and I wish him well.

There is an interesting video clip of an interview with him about his cancer and imminent death in this BBC news report:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-16212418

Scroll down the page to see the video.

There is no indications that Mr. Hitchens in this life ever heard the Restored Gospel in full, was ever a member of the Church,

I believe it was Hitchens who said something like, "Whatever probability you assign to Jesus' return, you must believe it somewhat less likely that he [sic] would have a summer house in Missouri."

Lehi

I believe it was Hitchens who said something like, "Whatever probability you assign to Jesus' return, you must believe it somewhat less likely that he [sic] would have a summer house in Missouri."

Lehi

That was Sam Harris.

I really mourn the passing of Christopher Hitchens. Over the years I've done a lot of projects in my basement mancave, and during those times, in addition to what Hitchens I've read, I probably listened to, or watched, just about every appearance, debate, speech, etc. of his that exists on the Internet. I dug his mind, and his wit, even when I didn't agree with something he said. I'm really bummed out that he's gone now.

"No doubt" he's receiving his comeuppance in the Spirit World right now eh? Yeah, no doubt indeed.

Even as a hardcore atheist for years I could see the value of religion for many people and was never taken with Hitchens' rhetoric.

It's hard to condemn anyone for what they believe, even when they are defaming religious minorities. Despite his atheism, Hitchens endeared himself to many mainstream Christians.

I don't know everything Hitchens thought or everything he did. He will receive according to the desire of his heart.

I do believe nobody will suffer eternally just for an idea they had or didn't have in their head. Many people who die as atheists will no doubt be pleasantly surprised and even receive a celestial glory. Atheists differ in their actions. Hitchens may or may not be a very good example of atheism that has redeeming value. If Hitchens is representative of atheism (which he arguably is not), it is difficult for me to see the point of not being a theist.

Archived