Talk In Sacrament Meeting...That Slipped Your Mind

Duncan

I always write my talks the night before. Change my mind too often on what I want to say otherwise and I'll be up all night anyway due to the adrenalin rush of anticipation....

Always been told my talks are good by people I'd trust to tell me the truth.

Couple of Sundays ago we had the conducting counselor's family be responsible for the entire program....maybe one youth speaker was a non family member, but the other was his daughter. Turns out the ones who were scheduled to speak had some sort of emergency. It was a beautiful service, very thought provoking and spiritual even though their 'native tongue' was Spanish which added an extra dollop of work for them.

Just saying it is possible to do a good talk last minute. Do your best in the time you have left.

you mean to tell us you don't keep a talk ready to go in your scripture case for just a occasion, and I thought every one followed the boy scout moto, :db: Always be prepared. :lol:

I flopped in boy scouts, camping isn't my thing, bugs and undercooked hotdogs make me break out!

When we moved into our current ward about 25 years ago I told the bishop he could feel free to call on me to give talks on short notice when the scheduled speaker bailed or couldn't follow through. I believe they utilitzed me for this purpose about five or six times since then. One of them was on three hours notice, and believe it or not that was the one that came off best. And I've not prepared talks in advance, to bring out at need. I've preferred to answer the challenge of coming up with a decent talk on short notice by way of relying upon the Spirit.

The underlying reason for this crazy volunteerism is a talk I once gave when a teen where I unexpectedly departed from my prepared talk and under the guidance of the Spirit gave an entirely different talk on a different subject, not knowing what words were next going to come out of my mouth. I once analyzed why I had volunteered so "rashly", and finally settled upon my apparent desire to have that experience one more time. Because it had been exhilarating, if also frightening for a first significant spiritual experience.

When we moved into our current ward about 25 years ago I told the bishop he could feel free to call on me to give talks on short notice when the scheduled speaker bailed or couldn't follow through. I believe they utilitzed me for this purpose about five or six times since then. One of them was on three hours notice, and believe it or not that was the one that came off best. And I've not prepared talks in advance, to bring out at need. I've preferred to answer the challenge of coming up with a decent talk on short notice by way of relying upon the Spirit.

The underlying reason for this crazy volunteerism is a talk I once gave when a teen where I unexpectedly departed from my prepared talk and under the guidance of the Spirit gave an entirely different talk on a different subject, not knowing what words were next going to come out of my mouth. I once analyzed why I had volunteered so "rashly", and finally settled upon my apparent desire to have that experience one more time. Because it had been exhilarating, if also frightening for a first significant spiritual experience.

wow, that's quite the experience!

I have a friend who always gives his talks off the cuff, so to speak, leaning only on the Spirit. He opens his Book of Mormon at any random place and then starts talking. It always turns out well. It amazing.

I'm the kind of person who has to plan a talk two weeks in advance and then I still won't be satisfied with it. I agonized over it and really did not like doing it. That's something I don't miss. :)

I have three talks on my computer that are pretty good, and for any given subject I can customize at least one of them. I've never had to give more than three talks in a ward, so unless that happens, I'll never have to write a fourth. Or I would probably just go back and give the first one again.

Unfortunately, my son gets asked to speak all the time, so I've had to write plenty of talks in the last few years, and I've used some of my best material in his talks, so I probably will have to write a new talk if I ever get asked to speak.

If you were asked to speak in sacrament meeting and kinda totally forgot about it, and that meeting happens this upcoming sunday, what would you say and your "no" wasn't a convincing enough argument?

This happened to me once and when I got up to speak I started by telling everyone I had little time to prepare…I stopped and the though came out of my mouth. “I have had all my life to prepare”.

This happened to me once and when I got up to speak I started by telling everyone I had little time to prepare…I stopped and the though came out of my mouth. “I have had all my life to prepare”.

Sounds a bit like the Spirit was speaking through you, then.

My dad when he was young and bright decided to give his first sacrament meeting talk by the Spirit. Now he is very good at thinking on his feet and has a natural presence so I am not surprised at his confidence, but the actual result was a stupor of thought after he expressed his intention and then waited to be filled. Very humiliating for the young man, ever since he always made sure he was prepared when he had the option and made sure his kids were as well. I have no doubt the Spirit was actually working on him that day, just the lesson of humility it was teaching him was of highest priority....probably some other of the youth in his ward figured out preparation is a key part of receiving the Spirit through his painful example.

Seriously? How could you forget. I was asked to give talk for first time couple of weeks ago. Terrified of public speaking. Couldn't think of anything else. After 3 sleepless nights finally got a blessing. Day of I was on bended knee fervently in prayer before Sacrament.

Now I want to be prideful and boastful of how well I did and how much people said they loved my talk, but I know it wasn't me alone.

Seriously? How could you forget. I was asked to give talk for first time couple of weeks ago. Terrified of public speaking. Couldn't think of anything else. After 3 sleepless nights finally got a blessing. Day of I was on bended knee fervently in prayer before Sacrament.

Now I want to be prideful and boastful of how well I did and how much people said they loved my talk, but I know it wasn't me alone.

it happens when you have other things on your mind and you get that call and oh boy I forgot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am with you, there, Frenchy. When I had to give a talk, I could think of little else, until it was done. I did pray, but I don't think my talks were ever very good, because I would, mostly, end up just reading them. When I get that nervous, that's all I can do, because my mind goes blank.

Whenever I have to give a talk, I too pray as I start preparing my assigned topic that the Spirit will open my mind and help me to know those things that Heavenly Father would like his children to hear... I read scriptures and various sources, and get my thoughts in order... then I write up a rough draft. Then I start typing up the final version, double spaced. I find that 5 or 6 pages, double spaced, are about the right "time" for a talk. I review my talk several times to get it into my mind and heart. When I actually give the talk I have my typed version in front of me and am familiar enough that even though I am reading it I can do so without it sounding like I'm reading, and can glance up often as I go along. Yet I have the security of knowing that I have my notes.

The last talk I gave was a few months ago and was very well received from the number of people who came up to me and indicated how they had enjoyed it. So needless to say I was relieved.

GG

When I first started giving talks I practice in front of a mirror, even practice the times to look up, slow down and pause so that I feel familiar with the talk before hand.

Nowadays I still practice outloud and sometimes in front of a mirror, but I don't have to practice so much or for so long now. :)

This was something our teacher told us to do in speech class.....

When I first started giving talks I practice in front of a mirror, even practice the times to look up, slow down and pause so that I feel familiar with the talk before hand.

Nowadays I still practice outloud and sometimes in front of a mirror, but I don't have to practice so much or for so long now. :)

This was something our teacher told us to do in speech class.....

you're lucky you had speech class! I was thrown into the fire-I am envious!