Seriously No Politics ×

"Yoke Of Momentum"

I'm an artist that is Mormon, not a 'Mormon' artist. I don't paint particularly religious art as I find most modern religious are problematic. LDS art especially. I try to depict subjects that I find interesting and can appeal to a broad audience often drawing on pop-cultural symbolism. My faith does inform my art and every once and a while I DO find ways to incorporate some of my religious views in to my work. As such I thought I'd share this piece I finished last week for a show in Fort Collins, CO. The show's theme was "Caffeine". Within this context, you'll most likely get inside the joke.

tumblr_lw05oyJJSz1qc17v8o1_1280.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAJ6IHWSU3BX3X7X3Q&Expires=1323888997&Signature=uJLhlJtzjse%2Bo6HFHF%2BMzxQ0YNc%3D

Hello SSS...

In your introduction post, I said I was interested in your being an artist because I too paint and draw. I've shown and sold most of my work (San Francisco) before retiring to the wilds of the central Oregon coast. I always thought since I was retired I'd have all this time to paint... but I've never really continued the way I supposed I would... losing my dear husband did set me back and I lost heart in numerous things. I've only done a few pieces since... but the other day I got out my paints and some canvas and I'm going to start again. My work is more traditional... landscapes/seascapes my favorite.

I was fascinated by your "Caffeine" piece... you're talented that's for sure. You say that piece was for a show in Ft. Collins. My question is: is it hard to find people who purchase that type of subject matter? I realize there are numerous artists who paint unconventionally (my nephew being one). But I never understood Marc Chagall for instance, but I loved Jackson Pollack.

I always said I wish I wasn't so traditional, and I'd like to loosen up and just stand back and throw paint and see what happened. I'm so regimented it seems although I do paint big and fairly loose, leaning toward impressionist.

Anyway, I enjoyed seeing your piece... interesting. Unusual theme...

from the beach... GG

edit to add: I agree with Nominee... the colors are wonderful, and her face and hands. Yes, terrific piece.

Edited by Garden Girl

This is fantastic! I think her eyes speak volumes. Great work. The colors, too, are wonderful. :good:

add: May I toss it up on my facebook page? I want to share this.

Feel free to link to my 'original' post of this piece: http://jasinskiart.tumblr.com/post/14025400462/yoke-of-momentum-acrylic-on-panel-16x21-in

Garden Girl: nice to make contact with another LDS painting here :)

Hard to find an audience? It hasn't been too difficult for me. The internet is really an amazing development for artist. Your audience instantly becomes global. I have a show in Rome, Italy in February and have sold pieces to people as far away as Australia. Print sales are also a great supplement. I guess I'm part of a younger generation and as such, also part of a younger art movement that combines surrealism and pop-culture (video games, movies, etc). Especially in California, there is a HUGE market for such art.

Funny, I always wish I had time to develop a more traditional style. I find it really easy to find reasons to do something other than painting- it takes a lot out of you, physically, mentally, emotionally.

That should be hanging in a Starbucks somewhere.

Dang it, Dad, you beat me to it! (Great minds ... or at least, greatly twisted minds ... think alike!) :D

I'm an artist that is Mormon, not a 'Mormon' artist. ...

Whaddaya mean yer not a Mormon artist, Dude(tte?)? This work doesn't prove that you could give Arnold Freiberg a run for his money??? :D;)

Garden Girl: nice to make contact with another LDS painting here :)

Hard to find an audience? It hasn't been too difficult for me. The internet is really an amazing development for artist. Your audience instantly becomes global. I have a show in Rome, Italy in February and have sold pieces to people as far away as Australia. Print sales are also a great supplement. I guess I'm part of a younger generation and as such, also part of a younger art movement that combines surrealism and pop-culture (video games, movies, etc). Especially in California, there is a HUGE market for such art.

Funny, I always wish I had time to develop a more traditional style. I find it really easy to find reasons to do something other than painting- it takes a lot out of you, physically, mentally, emotionally.

Yes, I guess I'm part of the "older" generation of traditionalists, although abstract/pop art has always been with us of course, no matter what generation one belongs to. I don't feel "my" art is as exciting as your style/subjects. I mean, how many beautiful landscapes or seascapes can be painted and still have a fresh message or voice? We have several excellent galleries in my little town here, and I hope to get together a body of work and start to show.

My nephew is the newer generation... he paints what he feels and gives no heed to "selling" per se... in fact is almost the opposite, as if he is almost compromising himself to actively seek sales.

Your upcoming show in Rome sounds fascinating. Do you ship your paintings?

I wish I could come up with just one successful print... ha! That would be great for me. I was talking to a local gallery owner about how their business has been in this economy and she said while it is down, there are always those people who collect and will continue to do so.

from the beach... GG

FYI I was able to find your web site and real name from the signature on your painting. I thought the site was fun and creative- but you may or may not want people tracking you back to your real life from here.