Seriously No Politics ×

Hello!

nettie

Hello everybody!

I am new here, so I should probably introduce myself. My name is Nettie (yes - that is my real name, it is not too common in most parts, but it is an old family name) and I hail from a small northern town. Right now I am in university, and my dorm mate is a Mormon. She told me early in the semester, and recently she has been asking me to come to church with her. I've gone to church the past couple of Sundays (except today - I have to study for an exam that i have tomorrow). And I have also gone to a few recreational events, like fun fair back in October, and a Christmas party just last Friday, and also a couple of get togethers with some of the other students who are mormon.

Anyways, I am not sure what to do, because before meeting my friend, I never had any contact with the Mormon church or with any Mormons, at least not that I know of. Now, my friend has asked if I want to talk to some missionaries and maybe see if I would like to join the church. She just asked me this last week, and to be honest, I hadn't even thought about it before she asked me.

So, I've been googling around about mormons and the mormon church, and I have to be honest and say I have lots of more questions than I did before. I also found this chat board by following a link from somewhere else and I see that there is lots of activity. So maybe I can get some of my questions answered?

I don't know if I want to join the church, but I have had some fun experiences with the people I've met so far. I am also a bit nervous to meet with a missionary. I always thought a missionary was someone who did charity work in Africa so I don't even know what to expect.

Anyways, hi! I hope I can get enough posts in to start asking some questions!

See you around!

Nettie :)

Hi Nettie! :hi: Welcome a board. Let your roomie know how you feel, especially the part about what a missionary is to you and how it makes you nervous because you don't have a clue what to expect. Give her an opportunity to help you toward your answers in any way she may be able to. Or in other words, don't deny her a chance to be blessed for her service by not giving her the chance to serve! :acute:

Also, meeting with the missionaries (plural) is not your committment to becoming a church member it is the step you take when you are committed to receiving answers and finding out what you want to do. It shouldn't be scary and certainly doesn't need to be formal in that dooming way. The missionaries could just hang out with you and your roomie for some good discussions and a bag of chips. Watch a movie, tell the missionaries to bring one. ;) All those questions you have now ~have answers!

Most of all, just keep praying for your answers and be willing to listen when they come.

Welcome Nettie! When i read your post i thought, "well of course you don't know if you want to join, you don't know much about us yet to make a decision either way!" :D

I'm wondering if you might be from England? I've never met an american who used the term "in univeristy" yet but maybe you're the first.

Hope you like it here.

Welcome Nettie! When i read your post i thought, "well of course you don't know if you want to join, you don't know much about us yet to make a decision either way!" :D

I'm wondering if you might be from England? I've never met an american who used the term "in univeristy" yet but maybe you're the first.

Hope you like it here.

Hi there bluebell!

No, I am not from England, though I have visited there - I have an auntie who lives in a town called Warrington, in the north of England near Manchester. I am actually a Canadian and I grew up in a town in northern Ontario called Val Caron, which is close to a bigger city called Sudbury. I guess Americans are used to hearing it called "college", in Canada, college refers to "community college" and university is where you get a degree. I am not living in Val Caron right now, I am in southern Ontario at the moment.

Hi Nettie! :hi: Welcome a board. Let your roomie know how you feel, especially the part about what a missionary is to you and how it makes you nervous because you don't have a clue what to expect. Give her an opportunity to help you toward your answers in any way she may be able to. Or in other words, don't deny her a chance to be blessed for her service by not giving her the chance to serve! :acute:

Also, meeting with the missionaries (plural) is not your committment to becoming a church member it is the step you take when you are committed to receiving answers and finding out what you want to do. It shouldn't be scary and certainly doesn't need to be formal in that dooming way. The missionaries could just hang out with you and your roomie for some good discussions and a bag of chips. Watch a movie, tell the missionaries to bring one. ;) All those questions you have now ~have answers!

Most of all, just keep praying for your answers and be willing to listen when they come.

I actually talked to her tonight and the missionaries are coming to the library to meet with us. The way she described them, they are young guys, not older people, as I had imagined them lol!

Maybe I will invite them back to the commons to watch The Hangover later - a few of us are unwinding on Tuesday after all exams are done and chilling for a movie. It's a good suggestion that you had (and if they are good-looking, even more of a bonus lol!)

Thanks so much for the advices.

Hello Nettie, and welcome from the beautiful central Oregon coast...

I know you'll like it here because there's lots of good people from many different paths, Mormon and non-LDS (Latter Day Saint or Mormon).

If you're scouting around trying to find out more about Mormons, I'm not surprised you have more questions... there are a good number of "anti-Mormon" sites that quite frankly misrepresent our doctrines, etc. The best websites are lds.org and lds.net, plus FAIR and FARMS -- What you want is accurate information and some websites are anything but accurate.

The missionaries are typically 2 young fellows between 19-21 who will meet with you and anyone else that you choose (if rules are still the same, they cannot be alone with you only). They will give you a "discussion" that covers an aspect of Mormon doctrine/principles. They will invite you to study certain scriptures related to that discussion, and probably to start reading the Book of Mormon. NOTE: You should not worry about "joining" the Church until you are fully ready and comfortable about doing so. Do not move faster than you are comfortable. Ask questions about what you've been taught until you feel you understand... even if they have to come back and cover the same material... do not feel you have to make a commitment even though they may ask if you'd like to be baptized.

My advice: study, ponder, pray, even fast if and/or when you decide to meet with the missionaries, then keep an open mind and heart, but filled with prayer. Continue to attend church and the social events and get to know "us." Then you can think about whether the Church is for you.

I encourage you... naturally I'm hoping you will recognize the beauty and truth of the gospel... for you this would be life changing.

All good wishes... from the beach... GG

edit to add: I just read you post above, and it made me chuckle as I thought back many years. Nettie, the mishes may be young but they are NOT supposed to enter into any close friendships with young women... their whole focus on their mission is to preach the gospel. (Although when I was a teenager ages ago, my sis and I used to flirt shamelessly with the missionaries when my folks would invite them over for dinner). But even then, we knew not to cross certain lines because it would not be fair to them... their purpose is to serve the Lord and teach the gospel. So they aren't supposed to "hang out" like other young men, and they have a curfew that they must be back to their apt.

Edited by Garden Girl

I actually talked to her tonight and the missionaries are coming to the library to meet with us. The way she described them, they are young guys, not older people, as I had imagined them lol!

Maybe I will invite them back to the commons to watch The Hangover later - a few of us are unwinding on Tuesday after all exams are done and chilling for a movie. It's a good suggestion that you had (and if they are good-looking, even more of a bonus lol!)

Thanks so much for the advices.

:rofl: Weeell, I don't know that the Hangover will work out! I'm sorry for saying something that was sort of confusing or misleading. There is a recent thread here on the board you can look at called "Rated R" ~you should read through it. I meant a movie like "The Restoration" or "Joseph Smith: Prophet of the Restoration." They are both great movies that the missionaries are able to watch. There are a few others also. Missionaries are on the job 24/7 for two years straight. They don't clock out at the end of the day. They don't watch TV, listen to the radio, or use the internet. But they are able to watch these movies with those they are sharing the gospel with. You! :D And still, even though its not the Hangover or the like, who doesn't prefer a movie with the discussion?! Do you have a copy of the Book of Mormon? Have someone hook you up with one. The missionaries can bring you one. Tell your mate to call 'em and ask. GG is right ~study, ponder and pray. You'll be in my prayers too! God bless.

Hope you like it here.

We, humble and lowly Canadians also speak like that! haha!

Hi there bluebell!

No, I am not from England, though I have visited there - I have an auntie who lives in a town called Warrington, in the north of England near Manchester. I am actually a Canadian and I grew up in a town in northern Ontario called Val Caron, which is close to a bigger city called Sudbury. I guess Americans are used to hearing it called "college", in Canada, college refers to "community college" and university is where you get a degree. I am not living in Val Caron right now, I am in southern Ontario at the moment.

Another Canadian! Yes!!! haha! I live one province over where the NHL just came back hint hint!

Hi there bluebell!

Well, that makes sense!

Yes, we Americans generally say that we are attending 'a university' rather than just 'university', but regardless, it's pretty much the same thing either way. :)

I was just 'in university' too... but in an even more Easterly place of Canuckia.

One thing everyone should remember when meeting the missionaries or learning about the church is that answers and understanding come slowly, but surely, as you live the teaching and principles they present. It's not trivial information. Real knowledge of the gospel comes from living the principles... I know, I know... so different from university where the knowledge comes in the form of convenient exact answers or in a formula. But, the gospel is different from school so if you decide you want to learn more be prepared to learn in the way it is meant to be learned!

But don't feel rushed. The missionaries like to teach but they love especially to teach people who feel ready to listen to their message. It's good that you are getting acquainted so that if you feel the desire to learn you won't hesitate to call them. One thing to realize is that the have a pretty narrow focus of teaching and serving during their time as missionaries, so don't be offended if they tell you they have something else to do than hang out.

Cheers from the East coast!

Oh boy, did I almost ever step in it, huh? Can you imagine if I invited the missionaries to come back and watch The Hangover!!! Thanks for the warning!

I'm so happy that you people are helping me out. Me and my friend are hooking up with the missionaries in the morning, at 10am, we'll see what happens!

Someone asked if I have a book of mormon? I don't have one but i think my roommate does. I'll see what the missionaries have to say before I go and get one for myself.

Wish me luck!

You will find a lot of stuff on Mormonism on the net. Some of it very ugly and some of it faith promoting but perhaps not completely accurate.

Start with the source www.lds.org for the official story. Continue to visit and ask your friend questions. First hand knowledge is your best bet for learning about us.

I had a Mormon friend growing up and I knew more about the LDS Church from him than anyone else. He was a good source- even after I joined the Mormons I went to him for my deeper questions.

Hello Nettie...

Well, I know many are interested in how your visit went with the missionaries... I think you said that this morning you and your friend would be meeting with them. Did that take place? And what were your thoughts, if you care to share.

GG

Hi everyone!

Sorry I didn't get back to you all yesterday - didn't really have time. I did meet with the "elders" (HA HA! I got a kick out of that!) and then got lunch, did some laundry, and then partied at the dorm. BTW, I read that discussion about R-Rated movies like someone told me to.... I'm not sure I learned much about what mormons watch for movies - some of you don't watch R-rated stuff, others do. Oh well, I watch what I want, and don't force it on anyone else. My roommate has no problems watching the Hangover so I guess that's all that counts to me!

So, ya, we met with the "elders" (lol!) and sorry I just laugh when I hear that because those two guys are like the same age as me! Nice guys, a little dramatic, but cool. We probably talked for about 2 hours, we were in the library till lunch time, in one of the study rooms.

Let's see, first they talked about god and Jesus Christ, and about how god is our father, and Jesus is his son. Asked me a bunch of questions about god and if I believed in god. I told them I never really think about it, which is true. They asked me a bunch of stuff about my upbringing, and pointed out miracles in my life. I don't think I bought into that.

Oh! They gave me a Book of Mormon! And wrote a bunch of quotes I should read from the book. Let's see...they told me about Joseph Smith, and how he brought the church through the dark ages. And they said Joseph Smith saw god and Jesus and they were people like us (which I admit doesn't sound much like any god I have heard of). They said Joseph was told that no other church is true, and to make the Mormon church, which is the only true church on the earth. That seemed strange to me, because where I am from there are a lot of different religions.

Ok, they told me that Joseph was told to dig up gold plates and translate them into the Book of Mormon. I don't know about that because that seems really strange, especially since the elders told me that the plates were sent back to heaven, so I asked how we can really be so sure that Joseph didn't make all this up. They said there were people who saw the plates and that it is written in the front of the Book of Mormon. So I'm going to read that and see what it says.

Oh ya, I almost forgot. They told me that the mormon church has a prophet? That was really interesting, because I was like, COOL! Ok, then I asked what kind of prophet he was, and they said a prophet like Moses or some other guy I forget his name. But then I asked what kind of miracles he did or prophecy he said, and the elders were kind of vague and said that the prophet protects us from evil stuff in the world by giving us advice. But I was still wondering what kind of miraculous stuff he did, because I don't think you can use call yourself a prophet like Moses or somebody and only give out good advice! But then they said to pray about Joseph Smith to know if he's a prophet and pray to know if the Book of Mormon is from god. So later, my roomie asked what i felt about that, and we prayed together, about those things. She said she got an answer to her prayer, but me I don't think I did.

But I am going to meet with the elders over the holidays in my home town - the elders here said they would contact them and ask them to visit me at home. So I will have to talk to my mom and dad to tell them I am looking at teh mormon church. They are pretty cool folks, pretty open-minded.

So I guess I have a big question about this prophet that the mormon church has. What kind of miracles does he do? Does he tell people about the future? What kind of things does he say? Does he say important things? I'm really curious about this.

And do you guys think Joseph Smith saw god and got some gold plates?

This is all really interesting stuff, to say the least lol!

Anyway, off to a another movie!

nettie :)

Hi everyone!

Sorry I didn't get back to you all yesterday - didn't really have time. I did meet with the "elders" (HA HA! I got a kick out of that!) and then got lunch, did some laundry, and then partied at the dorm. BTW, I read that discussion about R-Rated movies like someone told me to.... I'm not sure I learned much about what mormons watch for movies - some of you don't watch R-rated stuff, others do. Oh well, I watch what I want, and don't force it on anyone else. My roommate has no problems watching the Hangover so I guess that's all that counts to me!

So, ya, we met with the "elders" (lol!) and sorry I just laugh when I hear that because those two guys are like the same age as me! Nice guys, a little dramatic, but cool. We probably talked for about 2 hours, we were in the library till lunch time, in one of the study rooms.

Let's see, first they talked about god and Jesus Christ, and about how god is our father, and Jesus is his son. Asked me a bunch of questions about god and if I believed in god. I told them I never really think about it, which is true. They asked me a bunch of stuff about my upbringing, and pointed out miracles in my life. I don't think I bought into that.

Oh! They gave me a Book of Mormon! And wrote a bunch of quotes I should read from the book. Let's see...they told me about Joseph Smith, and how he brought the church through the dark ages. And they said Joseph Smith saw god and Jesus and they were people like us (which I admit doesn't sound much like any god I have heard of). They said Joseph was told that no other church is true, and to make the Mormon church, which is the only true church on the earth. That seemed strange to me, because where I am from there are a lot of different religions.

Ok, they told me that Joseph was told to dig up gold plates and translate them into the Book of Mormon. I don't know about that because that seems really strange, especially since the elders told me that the plates were sent back to heaven, so I asked how we can really be so sure that Joseph didn't make all this up. They said there were people who saw the plates and that it is written in the front of the Book of Mormon. So I'm going to read that and see what it says.

Oh ya, I almost forgot. They told me that the mormon church has a prophet? That was really interesting, because I was like, COOL! Ok, then I asked what kind of prophet he was, and they said a prophet like Moses or some other guy I forget his name. But then I asked what kind of miracles he did or prophecy he said, and the elders were kind of vague and said that the prophet protects us from evil stuff in the world by giving us advice. But I was still wondering what kind of miraculous stuff he did, because I don't think you can use call yourself a prophet like Moses or somebody and only give out good advice! But then they said to pray about Joseph Smith to know if he's a prophet and pray to know if the Book of Mormon is from god. So later, my roomie asked what i felt about that, and we prayed together, about those things. She said she got an answer to her prayer, but me I don't think I did.

But I am going to meet with the elders over the holidays in my home town - the elders here said they would contact them and ask them to visit me at home. So I will have to talk to my mom and dad to tell them I am looking at teh mormon church. They are pretty cool folks, pretty open-minded.

So I guess I have a big question about this prophet that the mormon church has. What kind of miracles does he do? Does he tell people about the future? What kind of things does he say? Does he say important things? I'm really curious about this.

And do you guys think Joseph Smith saw god and got some gold plates?

This is all really interesting stuff, to say the least lol!

Anyway, off to a another movie!

nettie :)

that's awesome! Just to clarify we believe the Church founded by Christ apostasized and then it was restored or came back through Joseph Smith in the 1820's. We believe that God the Father and his son Jesus Christ appeared to Joseph Smith in a vision and told him not to join any Church and in later visions by a prophet named Moroni (who was the last of the Nephite prophets) Joseph Smith was told to translate the Book of Mormon. The Prophet today doesn't do miracles (or if he has I am not aware of any) he may or may not see into the future (not all prophets do that) He does say important things as do all prophets of God! he is a mouthpiece of God and says what God wants said in our day and age. Come to a decision, having faith in Christ and he will answer your prayers in his own time and in his own way!