Seriously No Politics ×

Amazon Kindle Fire

Does anyone own a Kindle Fire, or know anyone that has one?

I've been thinking of getting two of them for my mom and dad for Christmas, but I'd like some real-world feedback/impressions first if possible.

I was orginally going to just get them Kindles, but since the Kindle Fire is currently being sold for less than what it costs to make it, I figure it's worth the additional $$$. But, I don't have a tablet PC, so I don't know if it's really worth it.

Opinions welcomed. Pictures of monkeys wearing clothing also welcomed.

Hugs,

Stu

Yep, me too....probably wanted to convey the idea of getting excited about something, lighting someone's interest, Prometheus descending from the mountain, invoking the symbol of fire for knowledge, etc....but somehow it evokes a bonfire of books instead.

Wonder if the guy who came up with the name came up with the name for the Ford Probe.

Edited by calmoriah

I have been asking my friends the same question. What I have found is that the nook is prefered by the tech geeks more but if you get your books from amazon.com go for kindle. The nook has a similar product for about 40 dollars more. Check this comparison for a good review of each. http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33198_7-57319054-286/kindle-fire-vs-nook-tablet/

Does anyone own a Kindle Fire, or know anyone that has one?

I've been thinking of getting two of them for my mom and dad for Christmas, but I'd like some real-world feedback/impressions first if possible.

I was orginally going to just get them Kindles, but since the Kindle Fire is currently being sold for less than what it costs to make it, I figure it's worth the additional $$$. But, I don't have a tablet PC, so I don't know if it's really worth it.

Opinions welcomed. Pictures of monkeys wearing clothing also welcomed.

Hugs,

Stu

My wife owns the Kindle and I have the Nook Color. The biggest difference is the availability of books for the Kindle, but on the Nook side there is the access to Android applications and Wi-Fi internet. I solved part of the problem by getting Kindle on my cell phone.

Thanks everyone for your feedback, I sincerely appreciate it. From researching it more, it looks like the Kindle Fire is really good if you like watching movies on a tablet, but beyond that it's probably better to spend the extra moolah for an iPad if you want a tablet. Might go ahead and just do the Kindle or Nook. Or maybe I'll get a Kindle Fire (or the Nook tablet), and just a plain reader, and then let them fight to the death for which one each of them wants.

On an unrelated (yet somewhat related) note, I reckon some of you already know, but John Williams recently published a book about his mission to Bolivia that's available for Kindle. So far the reviews are really good. Supposedly there will be a print version soon (I plan on getting a copy for my brother that served in Bolivia about a decade after John).

http://www.amazon.co...19068258&sr=8-4

Edited by Doctor Steuss

An older lady I know bought a kindle and ended up with a bunch of books on her credit card bill because of the one touch buy :/

I refrain from such techy gizmos and remain in my industrial age cave watching videos of clothed monkeys with catchy music. At least I can help you with something.

An older lady I know bought a kindle and ended up with a bunch of books on her credit card bill because of the one touch buy :/

Thank you very much for the heads up about this. My parents are trying to keep up with technology, but even with simple things on the computer, I get calls once in a while with one of them wondering what the crap they did.

<snip vid>

LOL. Awesome.

Ive been doing research into the Kindle Fire. I also have a few friends that have it and the nook. Right now I am leaning towards the Fire, and here is the reason why..

1) I will swap my Netflix account for the subscription to Amazon Prime.

2) I want to use it for scriptures, and the Fire will store enough books for my church activity. What I dont store on it, most wards now, including mine, allow members to access the WIFI from the church with password upon request.

3) I want music available too, that service is part of Amazon now, and have about 100 songs already stored in the network cloud at Amazon.

4) I want to be able to browse, and the fire will allow that, and therefore will be able to use my Hotmail account when there is a wife connection.

5) I want a smaller unit in size - to be able to fit in my suit coat pocket. The larger nook is too big for that.

6) Also will be using the fire in the kitchen in my own 12 meg WIFI network. My TV streams movies now, but this will allow me to stream moves in the kitchen, or anywhere in the apartment.

7) last but not least, the price of $199 is more apealing to me.

Edited by Messenger

Ive been doing research into the Kindle Fire. I also have a few friends that have it and the nook. Right now I am leaning towards the Fire, and here is the reason why..

1) I will swap my Netflix account for the subscription to Amazon Prime.

2) I want to use it for scriptures, and the Fire will store enough books for my church activity. What I dont store on it, most wards now, including mine, allow members to access the WIFI from the church with password upon request.

3) I want music available too, that service is part of Amazon now, and have about 100 songs already stored in the network cloud at Amazon.

4) I want to be able to browse, and the fire will allow that, and therefore will be able to use my Hotmail account when there is a wife connection.

5) I want a smaller unit in size - to be able to fit in my suit coat pocket. The larger nook is too big for that.

6) Also will be using the fire in the kitchen in my own 12 meg WIFI network. My TV streams movies now, but this will allow me to stream moves in the kitchen, or anywhere in the apartment.

7) last but not least, the price of $199 is more apealing to me.

I was looking at the Fire the other day and it is a winner. A little lacking in the apps, but for the weight and size it is great for reading and research. Alas, I own the Nook Color so I am stuck.

... will be able to use my Hotmail account when there is a wife connection. ...

Yeah, I've been trying to make one of those myself! ;):D:rofl:

(Sorry ... couldn't resist!)

I have a Kindle not the Fire. I have the complete LDS scriptures on it and I find it difficult ( to say the least) to navigate between chapters and books . It's great for reading straight through a book, but when I need to bounce around I'm frustrated.I've been planing to buy a Fire, but this navigation problem I'm having is making my think I Pad. Has anyone here used the Kindle for scripture reading? If so how do you get along with it?

I have a regular Kindle and I love it. I also have the free version for my PC. I actually use that more, because I'm on my PC a lot. I use the regular Kindle when I'm going out or on vacation.

I would LOVE to have the Kindle Fire. I've heard it's really neat!

One of the most recent reviews actually like the fire better than the nook - mostly because of look and feel. It also rated big on content. Not so well on the browser. It would be nice to have a cheap tablet I can put my lessons on during church. I dont think you can do that with either the fire or the nook. While you can use the cloud storage, I dont believe t there is any kind of text reader in the fire. Hmmmmm

Kind of a random question, but it's something that just popped into my head:

Does anyone know if I will be able to register both of my parents' Kindles on the same account (so if one of them buys a book, or movie, both will have access to it)? Or are they limited to one device per an account?

Edited by Doctor Steuss

I'm not sure, but I am able to put the books I purchase on four devices. My CP, my laptop, my iPhone and, of course, my Kindle. Not sure how that would work when you have two Kindles and two users, though.