Sbc'S Richard Land Claims Romney'S Mormonism Will Be Mocked By Liberals

CQUIRK

Here.

An influential evangelical leader says Mitt Romney’s Mormon faith will be an issue if he becomes the Republican presidential nominee, but maintains that the attacks will come from secular liberals, not conservatives.

"The secular liberals are going to mock Mormonism," Richard Land, president of the Southern Baptist Convention’s Ethics & Religious Liberty Commission. "They’re going to start doing documentaries on Mormonism and try to scare independents about him. They ought to be ashamed of themselves, and they will do this."

Land, speaking at a National Press Club forum Wednesday on religion in the 2012 presidential race, predicted the vast majority of evangelical voters will back Romney if he tops the Republican ticket, mainly thanks to Democratic President Barack Obama.

"Do not underestimate," Land said, "Barrack Obama’s unique ability to unite evangelicals against him."

Romney, a member of the Utah-based Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, faced some backlash over his faith during his failed 2008 White House bid and even noted after losing Iowa’s caucuses that had he been a Baptist minister, he could have won.

But the former Massachusetts governor is leading in the polls this time around and is tied or close to being tied in recent polls in Iowa, giving him the inside trackto the GOP nomination.

Land, who counseled Romney to offer his major speech on Mormonism during his first presidential bid, said it was "un-American" and "inappropriate" for voters to judge candidates on their religion alone but that it’s acceptable to examine their moral convictions.

The Rev. Jim Wallis, president of Sojourners, a progressive Christian group, agreed that the LDS faith could be an issue in a Romney vs. Obama race. Wallis noted that it was unfortunate that a pastor friend of Texas Gov. Rick Perry recently called Mormonism a cult.

"The left may make this an issue as well, and if they do," Wallis said, "I think it will be hypocritical, given their standpoint on church and state."

Wallis said voters should give more weight to how candidates act and govern based on their own personal convictions, not on the religious doctrines they believe.

"We should care less about what underwear Mitt Romney wears," Wallis said, referring to religious garments worn by faithful Mormons. "We should be concerned about a candidate’s moral compass and not their religion."

In his 2007 address, Romney emphasized that he is "an American running for president," not a Mormon running for president. "I do not define my candidacy by my religion," he said. "A person should not be elected because of his faith nor should he be rejected because of his faith."

I agree with this to an extent; if Romney does win the GOP primary, the majority of attacks on the LDS faith will be coming from the Left.

It is apparent that the majority of "anybody but Romney" is a Conservative notion.

Right now, that is correct. Although I would add a descriptor, Conservative Evangelical (anti-Mormon).

If Romney gets the nomination they will have to decide whether their politics are more Conservative than Evangelical (anti-Mormon).

Where's the popcorn.

So let me get this straight. We seem to be getting daily attacks on Mormonism from the evangelic religious right, but if the left attacks the Mormon church it is hypocritical? How does this make any sense? I think the left has a bigger issue with the Mormon churches involvement in politics than in their religious dogma.

I think the far left will attack anyone on the right for any modicum of religious faith they might have. They feel that religion is an enemy to their form of secularism.

I think the far left will attack anyone on the right for any modicum of religious faith they might have. They feel that religion is an enemy to their form of secularism.

Perhaps you can point out exactly what political figure has been attacked by the far left because of his religious beliefs. Perhaps you are referring to Barack Obama claiming he is Muslin. Or the whole Rev. Wright thing. Oh waith, that is the far right. never mind.

So let me get this straight. We seem to be getting daily attacks on Mormonism from the evangelic religious right, but if the left attacks the Mormon church it is hypocritical? How does this make any sense? I think the left has a bigger issue with the Mormon churches involvement in politics than in their religious dogma.

It's hypocritical because bigotry is still bigotry, no matter what side of the political spectrum its on.

Plus the more militant gay-rights supporters seem to use the same anti-Mormon rhetoric that the "Counter-Cult Ministries" use when attacking the LDS Church's beliefs and history.

Perhaps you can point out exactly what political figure has been attacked by the far left because of his religious beliefs.

Even though I am not a big fan of them- Jerry Falwell and Pat Robertson are a few examples.

For the LDS side, we have Cleon Skousen and Ezra Taft Benson- whom had their fair share of Leftist critics as well.

Off the subject, I really wish the moderators would do something about how every 's' that follows an apostrophe gets automatically capitalized. Can that be fixed?

Of course religious bigotry knows no political allegience. However there are plenty of reasons to oppose Falwell, Robertson, Skouson, and Benson that have nothing to do with their personal religious beliefs.

Of course, yet some people out there still opposed them for their religious beliefs.

For the LDS side, we have Cleon Skousen and Ezra Taft Benson- whom had their fair share of Leftist critics as well.

Are you suggesting that Cleon Skousen and Ezra Taft Benson got criticized by the left for being Mormon? Because I recall they were criticized for the far right beliefs, not their religious beliefs. Can you point to something that supports your assortment?

Even though I am not a big fan of them- Jerry Falwell and Pat Robertson are a few examples.

I think you are confusing the criticism for using their religous faith as a political weapon with critizem for their religion. I doubt may people on the left or the right could even name the religion of Jerry Falwell and Pat Robertson.

You do understand the difference between being critical of ones religoos beliefs and being critical of thrusting ones religious beliefs into politics. When the left is attacking the Mormon church for example, they are not attacking the churches dogma. What they are attacking is the church using the political process to force people outside of their faith to follow by law their religious dogma. This is a much different issue than what the right does in actually attacking Romney on Mormon doctrine.

If you fear the left attacking ones religious dogma, you are looking at the wrong side of the political scale. It is very much a religious right issue, not a far left issue.

selek1:

Townhall.com is a web-based publication primarily dedicated to conservative United States politics. It was previously operated by the Heritage Foundation, but is now owned and operated by Salem Communications. Townhall.com, which publishes daily, features more than 80 columns (both syndicated and exclusive) by writers such as Jack Bouroudjian, Dennis Prager, Neal Boortz, Ann Coulter, Dinesh D'Souza, Larry Elder, Jonah Goldberg, Rebecca Hagelin, Paul Jacob, Paul Kengor, David Limbaugh, Michelle Malkin, the late Robert Novak, Thomas Sowell, Jacob Sullum, Mike Adams[disambiguation needed InterlanguageLinks-Asset-Pencil-Hover.gif], Matt Lewis, Amanda Carpenter, Fred Thompson, Jeb Bush, Lisa De Pasquale and Cal Thomas

Not exacctly my cup of herbal tea.

I think you are confusing the criticism for using their religous faith as a political weapon with critizem for their religion. I doubt may people on the left or the right could even name the religion of Jerry Falwell and Pat Robertson.

Both were Baptist and fit the EV mold, regardless. I think a overwhelming majority agree on that, including me.

You do understand the difference between being critical of ones religoos beliefs and being critical of thrusting ones religious beliefs into politics. When the left is attacking the Mormon church for example, they are not attacking the churches dogma. What they are attacking is the church using the political process to force people outside of their faith to follow by law their religious dogma. This is a much different issue than what the right does in actually attacking Romney on Mormon doctrine.

Actually I do, and both ETB and Cleon have been criticized for both.

Its funny because you're wrong- the political Left has attacked the LDS Church for their beliefs as well, which you seem to ignore.

http://www.slate.com...s_religion.html

http://newsbusters.o...o-slavery-crazy

http://newsbusters.o...it-christianity

http://www.nytimes.c...k-a-mormon.html

http://www.slate.com...a_religion.html

-Some good examples of Left-wing authors or general Left-wing rhetoric going beyond the LDS Church's involvement in politics.

:acute:

If you fear the left attacking ones religious dogma, you are looking at the wrong side of the political scale. It is very much a religious right issue, not a far left issue.

See above.

Lawrence O'Donnell, Bill Maher, Christopher Hitchens, and Steve Benson (ETB's anti-Mormon grandson) are great examples of Left-wing anti-Mormons.

Bill Maher, and Christopher Hichens aren't directly anti-Mormon. They are anti-religion however. Mormons just get caught in their cross fire. Don't know enough about either of the others to say.

I've woundered for a long time why Bill doesn't feel obligated to take on his own anti-religion(Atheistic) beliefs. The twentieth century should provide plenty of ammunition.

Liberals wil be more interested in the issues Romney supports or does not support, than in his religion, per se. I think Evangelicals are much more interested in his "religious" issues, than his conservative credentials. I have heard many of them say, they could not vote for someone belong to a cult or someone who believes they are going to be a "god".

Edit: I have many liberals friends who have been very supportive of the idea that Romney's religious beliefs should not be an issue. I've also heard prominent liberals (Jon Stewart, Michael Moore, etc) support that ideal, as well. However, the ISSUES (ike equal marriage) will be fair game.

Archived