Seriously No Politics ×

I Let My Temper Get Away From Me At The Funeral Home... Of All Places.

Mudcat

You can give the man a rep point though, see lower right side of his post, above the sig line. I would, but maxed out my quota already. Click on the arrow button.

Edited by calmoriah

Mudcat, I have had trouble most my life hastily saying just exactly what I have felt when at times for peace and avoiding contention I should have bit my own tongue. Your response is one I could see myself doing and agreeing with. Thanks for doing so.

Yay for you, Mudcat! Sounds like you handled it very graciously (but firmly). Nice going!

Edit: And condolences to you and your wife for the loss of a dear friend. That is so sad that she had such young children. Hard to understand why God would take her, y/k? :(

Edited by Libs

Being immature as I am, I may have continued asking the man insincere questions to expose his ignorance on the matter of other religions. That would have served little purpose other than to make a mockery of somebody.

Thank you for posting that experience. I didn't see the example first hand, but your report alone is a powerful enough example to teach me a better response to that type of situation.

There are times when we all must face the wrongness of something we have done. Your handling of this in the manner you did gives this young man an opportunity to reevaluate the way he approaces things and hopefully will give him pause to reflect and become a better Christian.

You are a good person and one I am proud to call a friend.

Thanks for the responses everyone.

Mudcat, I have had trouble most my life hastily saying just exactly what I have felt when at times for peace and avoiding contention I should have bit my own tongue. Your response is one I could see myself doing and agreeing with. Thanks for doing so.

I suppose what I find troubling in myself, is that I let the fellow get to me in such a way. I am thankful the fellow had the good sense to remove himself from the situation. I am not specifically certain as to how I would have reacted had he stayed there and continued on.

I have never had much issue with someone who said something that was hurtful directly to me. It is the fact that my wife and other people were targeted that created a much different sort of thing in me.

It's hard to express how angry I was. I haven't been that way in quite some time. I suppose, I had drawn a mental "line in the sand" and I don't think I would have offered any sort positive Christian reaction had he crossed it.

It is in what I was prepared to do if the situation went differently, that I am disappointed with myself. There wasn't anything good working in my heart at the time.

I suppose what I find troubling in myself, is that I let the fellow get to me in such a way. I am thankful the fellow had the good sense to remove himself from the situation. I am not specifically certain as to how I would have reacted had he stayed there and continued on.

I have never had much issue with someone who said something that was hurtful directly to me. It is the fact that my wife and other people were targeted that created a much different sort of thing in me.

It's hard to express how angry I was. I haven't been that way in quite some time. I suppose, I had drawn a mental "line in the sand" and I don't think I would have offered any sort positive Christian reaction had he crossed it.

It is in what I was prepared to do if the situation went differently, that I am disappointed with myself. There wasn't anything good working in my heart at the time.

Hey, none of us are perfect.... now is the time to get better, that it is... and since you know what it is you need... strive for it =D.

Best of Wishes,

TAO

Your anger under the circumstances, especially while grieving is entirely normal and not unhealthy. Your reason for being angry is quite laudable. Based on your description, you handled it quite well.

Beyond that, all I have to offer is a fraternal :friends:.

Unless there's some part of the story that you're not telling us, it sounds to me like you had a fairly measured response to what was, in my opinion, a very reprehensible quasi-public utterance by the young pastor.

I think it is unfortunate that more people are afraid, or intimidated by circumstances, such that they refuse to do something like what you did; to take a stand for what is right in a given situation.

I commend you.

I am not specifically certain as to how I would have reacted had he stayed there and continued on........

But the fact is because he didn't cross the line you really have no idea what you might have done. Your heart was ready to go, but your mind was probably there as well, aware of all those who would be troubled by your action. Your mind knew what was right. Chances are it was ready to step in if it was needed...,which it was not. Don't assume that just because that level of anger reminded you of the past that the past you would have been the one reacting...that guy is gone, it would be the mudcat of today...the older and wiser and very caring who would make that decision when the time came.

One of my favorite movies is "Gentlemen's Agreement"... Came out in the '50's starring Gregory Peck. The premise is that he is a writer who has taken on an assignment to write about anti-Semetism. In the process he has a close Jewish friend from all through boyhood and into adulthood whom he consults. One evening they are talking along with Peck's fiance... and she related how one evening at a dinner party a man told a joke about a Jewish man, using stereotypical language, etc.

Peck's Jewish friend asks her... What did you do when he told the joke? She responds that everyone was uncomfortable, that they hated what he did... and the friend asked... Yes, but what did you do? And she responds dejectedly... Nothing... we just sat there...

That was an eye opener for me in general, and how often we are placed in circumstances such as you were, Mudcat... and so, what did you do? You did the right thing...

I hope the pastor will keep this in his memory... I suspect he will...

from the beach on a lovely fall sunny morning after a cleansing rain... prayers for all the people back east who are without power, which is affecting things in numerous ways.

GG

I think people need to be more careful what they say in public places. I was in a discussion group with a bunch of Methodists when they started talking down about the Mormons. I said "Before anyone says anything else you should know I am a Mormon." Silence for a moment and then the subject was changed. It showed me how a person's perspective can change when they actually know someone who is part of that group against whom they have so much bias.

At another time I was in a restaurant with my Mom and a bunch of young people behind us were talking about the Mormons. My mom could see me getting excited and begged me not to make a scene. They had been specifically talking about how we don't believe the Bible. This happened to be at the time the church was coming out with it's very detailed and highly praised footnoted edition of the Bible. I wrote my testimony on a napkin, expressing my love for the Bible and how much it is part of Mormon belief. As Mom and I left I dropped the napkin on their table. We could see them in the window reading the note and discussing it. My hope was that at least one person in the group would realize they shouldn't believe everything they are told and would be more careful of judging others in the future.

When my youngest daughter was around 5 or 6 her Dad was trying to get her to want to live with him. He told her "Where you live are all these Mexicans" in that tone saying how awful they are. When Diana told me this I said to her, "You know Maria, your best friend?" She said "Yes..." I said "She's Mexican." She said "She is?" Of course she realized then that there was nothing wrong with Mexicans.

So MC, I appreciate your defense of both Catholics and Mormons. People often say thing without thinking based on prejudices they have been taught. We need to be more careful in our judgements. What is sad is when children are so indoctrinated with prejudices.