Seriously No Politics ×

Crop Circles - What Are They?

Zakuska

Two of you cited statistics as to how many circles had been "proven" to be hoaxes. 95% and 99.9% were mentioned.

Now, I am not a statistician, nor do I play one on TV, but of the estimated 10,000 crop circles which are believed to have occurred since the 1970's. 200 are known to have been constructed by Bower and Chorley, the original "whistleblowers" so to speak, but according to Wikipedia, virtually none of the rest have admitted perpetrators. In short, something like 99.9% of crop circles have not been proven as to their origins.

I guess England must be the hoax center of the world, because apparently that is where the vast majority of all crop circles are to be found. Those famous hoaxers, the Brits!

Twenty-six countries reported approximately ten thousand crop circles in the last third of the 20th century. Ninety percent of those were located in southern England. Many of the formations appearing in that area are positioned near ancient monuments, such as Stonehenge. According to one study, nearly half of all circles found in the UK in 2003 were located within a 15 km (9.3 miles) radius of Avebury.

So why haven't they managed to snag at least a few of the perpetrators if half of the circles appear so close to a particular area? I've passed through Avebury; it's not all that deserted that someone wouldn't have noticed people toting rope, lumber, and other various implements to make crop circles.

They can't all be man-made hoaxes.

Problem with daniken is he makes stuff up as he goes.

As I stated above Piltdown comes to mind. Von Daniken is not the only one. Also as I have stated I am not a fan of the ancient alien theory either. What Von Daaniken and others do is call attention to the evidences of adanced technology in ancient times. Enough so to cast serious doubt on the uniformitarion claims of our advance from the cave to the highrise.

its possible the farmers themselves do it. no one goes out in the fields at night around here unless its harvest time so i see no reason they couldnt do it unseen.

That doesnt make any sense at all. Why would a farmer destroy his livlyhood? Destroy the very thing that pays the mortgage and feeds the family? I don't think so.

Some of the maze owners have made money on them. Would be an incentive if farm profits were off. Yes I know that most of the farmers are mad about it being done to their own farms. I dont know who does the crop circles but I am willing to say that its just someone human doing them.

The tv shows saying its electron or weird weather effects dont make sense because most of the circles are too complicated and neat. .

Some of the maze owners have made money on them. Would be an incentive if farm profits were off. Yes I know that most of the farmers are mad about it being done to their own farms. I dont know who does the crop circles but I am willing to say that its just someone human doing them.

The tv shows saying its electron or weird weather effects dont make sense because most of the circles are too complicated and neat. .

The maize (corn) farmers close enough to population centers definitely make money on those corn mazes. The mazes are fun, the farmers sell not only the maze experience but also other things, and they are definitely worth the corn that they can't harvest because of the mazes.

Crop circles on the other hand are total losses. The farmers lose crop value, frequenly suffer even more as visitors trespass to look at them, and they are bothered by idiot visitors asking stupid questions to which neither the farmers nor anyone else has any answers for.

The crop circles which see their way into the media are very often extremely intricate, and exhibit familiarity with advanced mathematical concepts such as fractals. Do you know what a Julia Set is? I imagine not, and neither do many farmers, since a degree in advanced mathematics is not generally required to make a business out of growing crops, but many crop circles are constructed as representations of the Julia Set.

So it must be math professors out there making crop circles I guess.

Are you referring to the Fantou or the Cantor, Julia set? Any way it could have been a mathematics game to them. Math people do tend to be a little odd and compulsive don't they? I should know. My mom, one of my brothers and one of my kids are the kind that think math is fun and like to play games with it. I always thought the imaginary math in my calculus class summed it up pretty good but that is neither here nor there.

I think that there are pranksters in all groups of people. But that is just me. ^^

Edited by annewandering

This is not a maze. You are conflating two different things. Mazes are done deliberatly and destroy much less crops so that a reduced harvest is possible. The reduction in harvest being made up in fees from the maze.

Crop circles a total destruction of the crop over a larger area without any compensation.

Edited by ERayR

calmoriah and ERayR,

I'm probably not the person would you want to talk to when it comes to what type of insurance coverage farmers typically carry. If I had to guess, the typical farmer might have insurance coverage for acts of vandalism and/or arson. Maybe the crop circle damage would be covered under that?

Again, I am only guessing, but I would imagine that farmers in England also carry some type of insurance? Maybe?

This is way out of my area of expertise. Sorry I couldn't be more help. For what it's worth, I enjoyed the movie Signs.

calmoriah and ERayR,

I'm probably not the person would you want to talk to when it comes to what type of insurance coverage farmers typically carry. If I had to guess, the typical farmer might have insurance coverage for acts of vandalism and/or arson. Maybe the crop circle damage would be covered under that?

Again, I am only guessing, but I would imagine that farmers in England also carry some type of insurance? Maybe?

This is way out of my area of expertise. Sorry I couldn't be more help. For what it's worth, I enjoyed the movie Signs.

This is well within my field of experience. I have been a farmer and an accountant to farmers. While it is common in some areas to carry hail insurance on the crops, in my experience vandalism insurance on crops is unheard of. A farmer may have vandalism coverage on his buildings and equipment but even that is rare. I don't know aabout England.

I don't remember watching that movie. I have a problem with Hollywood depictions of real events. They don't turn out very real.

I don't remember watching that movie. I have a problem with Hollywood depictions of real events. They don't turn out very real.

What, Signs? I don't think it portrays real events. If it does, then I've been really oblivious...

Oh, wait....

• 1 year later...

As of Late my new TV obsessions have been BradMelzters - Decoded and History - Ancient Aliens.

I also bought a book called "History is Wrong - by Erich von Daniken". He does the exact same thing... quotes the BOM casually and non-schelantly. Now this book is full of UFO consipracy and Ancient Astronauts and Aliens, so you have to take it with a huge dose of salt... however... some of the legends that he brings together are so Intreeging.

Now remember National Treasure 2 - Book of Secrets? How they follow this map coded in the Declaration of Independance, find this secret chamber with all kinds of Ancient records and treasures.

This legend of a hall of Records is deep rooted in the American History.

Now in this book I have hes spending all this time to talk about this legend of the hall of Records. Guess where he says it is?

A province in Southern Ecuador named... "Morona-Santiago". Its supposed to contain a Metal Library stacked on shelves in a constructed chamber or cave. Back in the 1960's there were over 400 different expeditions to a set of Caves in Ecuador named "Cuevo de los Tayos" looking for this Metal Library. It is a verified expedition since Neil Armstong went with the British Army and the Ecadorian Police on the expedition and I have a copy of the Letter that verifies that Armstrong was in the cave system. I had a thread earlier on here about that.

They never found the Library... and there is were the consipracy theories start. Current authors claim that the actual Cave entrance is under water in a river and has to be swam into. Cool stuff.

Zakuska At last someone else who reads ancient alien books for the legends and anomalous information and not for ancient alien theology. At least that's the way I read your post.

I would like to see one , any one of the more complex ones , reproduced by an individual or group that has been given a couple of weeks to design the procedure and then see if the results match the previous crop circle. Attention should be paid , not just to the design , but also to the surrounding property re: damage etc. If this has not been done , then it should be as science so likes reproducibility . Oh, sorry, what was I thinking. No reputable scientist would be caught within a 100 miles of such an experiment.