It Will Not Be Long Until I Am Jobless Again; At Christmas.

My friends please be in prayer, I have been told I will be laid off around Christmas. This with having a son to support on a mission. I am already searching but as most of you know there are not many jobs out there. My son (at that time will only have been out a year. Also I am having to pay most of my Mother’s bills.

As you are considering options, I hope you will consider jobs overseas. The Middle East, specific nations, offer excellent opportunities depending upon your qualifications. We have two wards in Abu Dhabi and the same in Dubai. I know it is a big step to take for most, but we have really enjoyed being here.

I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

My BIL really enjoyed working in Saudi Arabia, but that was over 20 years ago and I don't know how much has changed. Another friend worked for the government there as well as did his wife though she had to make some major adjustments. My brother is living in Singapore and his family loves it.

Pa Pa:

You always have my prayers. I'm retired so there isn't much I can do in terms of a job in waiting for you. Have you thought about opening your own business? How about going to work for a small start up company? I know the risks are high right now with the economy the way it is, but it is worth a look.

Am I mistaken that you are an electrician?

That's just what I was thinking, Oats... Pa Pa is an electrician and has had jobs of high responsibility. But with his knowledge and experience, I was thinking he could start his own electrical business. Trying to find a good, reliable electrician, plumber, painter, etc etc is always a difficult task. Pa Pa, if you started on your own and did a good job, word of mouth would soon take care of a good portion of your business. And if your ward members wanted you to do a job, be sure and charge them properly... it's not good for members to try and take advantage of a workman just because he's in the ward.

I hope you can find something, but in case you don't, please consider starting on your own.

You're in my prayers, your family, and Elder Lee... GG

My BIL really enjoyed working in Saudi Arabia, but that was over 20 years ago and I don't know how much has changed. Another friend worked for the government there as well as did his wife though she had to make some major adjustments. My brother is living in Singapore and his family loves it.

I would absolutley love to work in Saudia Arabia. I could go Check out Jabel El Lawz first hand!

Of course. If he has his own tools and his electrician ticket (or however one gets certified in the US) then it probably isn't a problem to go register a business and pickup electrical work, is it?

Opportunities that came to my mind are mostly in Canada. I'm not sure what the procedure to work in Canada is for a US citizen, but these are big projects where electricians (especially experienced ones) can likely find good paying work.

- Northwest Transmission Line - 350km power line they are building through the mountains of British Columbia.

http://www.bchydro.com/energy_in_bc/projects/ntl/contractors.html

- Alberta Tar Sands/Oil Fields (as well as Saskatchewan) - There is a lot of opportunity here. It's very good paying work. It might involve working from camps with shifts like 3 weeks on 1 week off. A lot of companies will give you an allowance for travel. I know a lot of people who work in Alberta and live in East Coast Canada. I don't imagine it would be much different if you wanted to live in the US when not working. You can get camp jobs where the company takes care of housing and food costs, too (because living in town is ridiculously expensive).

- The Canadian federal government is announcing some huge shipbuilding contracts. The bidders are the yards near Halifax, Nova Scotia, Vancouver, British Columbia and Quebec City, Quebec. Basically, wherever those contracts go (announcement coming very soon) there is going to be a huge demand for electricians and they will have to be imported from other parts of the country.

Those are some leads you can follow up on, if there is the slightest interest or willingness to work in Canada. You can easily latch onto 125k+/yr work on the transmission line and in the tar sands. Given that you are an experienced electrician and have management experience you could make substantially more in the tar sands. It's the most demanding work, however.

Good luck to you Papa and Mrs. Ron Beron. There are jobs out there if you choose to get out of your comfort zones. Also, there are plenty of Gov't assistance programs to help you!

Already there and thanks.

That's just what I was thinking, Oats... Pa Pa is an electrician and has had jobs of high responsibility. But with his knowledge and experience, I was thinking he could start his own electrical business. Trying to find a good, reliable electrician, plumber, painter, etc etc is always a difficult task. Pa Pa, if you started on your own and did a good job, word of mouth would soon take care of a good portion of your business. And if your ward members wanted you to do a job, be sure and charge them properly... it's not good for members to try and take advantage of a workman just because he's in the ward.

I hope you can find something, but in case you don't, please consider starting on your own.

You're in my prayers, your family, and Elder Lee... GG

It may come to that, I had my own business for 3 years once. But then the economy was booming. I am 54 now and it would be much harder on the body, but if it comes to this...so be it. I can make good money teaching different groups.

It may come to that, I had my own business for 3 years once. But then the economy was booming. I am 54 now and it would be much harder on the body, but if it comes to this...so be it. I can make good money teaching different groups.

That's just it, Pa Pa... you have skills to fall back on, much-needed skills, which is such a blessing. I just did a renovation of my kitchen and my contractor would call in sub-contractors from local people that he knew and had worked with and trusted for quality. You could be a sub-contractor for such jobs, plus regular jobs on your own for clients.

My gosh, 54! Still so young, now that at 71 I look back at when I was 54.

At least you have some warning time so you can start looking... Good luck... prayers.

GG

You will be in my thoughts and prayers, my friend.

There have been some good suggestions made, and I'd like to add some thoughts that I believe keeping in mind will help you through this difficult time.

Find the single most powerful source of spiritual strength and motivation, and rely completely on the Lord. Your body may grow weary, but your spirit will press on so long as the Lord God sees fit. You are engaged in important work in the support of your family, particularly your son on his mission, and the Lord will be with you and a way will be made open for you to fulfill your responsibilities and meet your obligations.

Good luck, my friend. Keep us updated. :)