Last Movie You Watched

altersteve

If you are a fan of documentaries, Prime has one on mountain adventurers called Fine Lines that I thought was excellent.  It's not on how to go about doing extreme mountain sports like rock climbing or mountaineering but interviews with those considered to be "elite" in the different communities and why they do them, the risks they take, when things go wrong, the price and sacrifice and what they gain.  Stuff like that.

And if you like that one then definitely watch The Dawn Wall and Free Solo.  I think they are on Prime as well.  

• Like 1

Today went to "News of the World" with Tom Hanks. Very entertaining movie, not based on a true story, but taken from a book and there was a man that did similar things to this. Such as a guy who read newspapers to a group of people as a public performance.

12 hours ago, Tacenda said:

Today went to "News of the World" with Tom Hanks. Very entertaining movie, not based on a true story, but taken from a book and there was a man that did similar things to this. Such as a guy who read newspapers to a group of people as a public performance.

I've heard the name but have no memory of what the movie is supposed to be about or if I wanted to see it.  Good to know you thought it was good.

Watched The Last Pilgrim, which I think is on Prime.  It's a good sports-themed movie, with some religious undertones, about an olympic wrestler from a small town that ended up moving back to that town after his mom dies, and gets involved coaching a high school wrestling team, all while dealing with his own demons and fallout from having his gold medals taken away because of cheating.

• Like 1

I highly recommend the animated film Coco. I learned about this movie from my granddaughter (who was 2 and a half years old at the time ☺).

It is about a boy named Miguel who loves music but his family has forbidden music, because they believe that Miguel's great-great grandfather abandoned the family in pursuit of a musical career. The family is about to celebrate Dia de los Muertos (Day of the Dead) and at the same time Miguel goes on a interesting adventure that involves his dead family members.

It is such a wondeful movie. I love it.

M.

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

I just watched a movie I added to my film library... "Summer of '42"... a "coming of age" type of movie about 15 year old Hermie (Gary Grimes) and two friends living on what I assume was Nantucket Island...  co-starring the lovely Jennifer O'Neal, with an award-winning musical score.  Set during WWII with its effect on "Dorothy" (O'Neal) whose husband is killed, and life changing for Hermie.   These movies always bring back strong memories for me because although just a child I was 3 - 7 years and events were very real and memorable to me... like I remember the innocence of the "times" and not having to lock our doors... the scary blackouts (we were 60 miles inland so they affected us)... the rationing of food and gasoline... our "victory garden" where mom allowed neighbors to help plant this fabulous garden and share in the bounty... so many memories of those years that have stayed with me because they were pretty serious for a 3 - 7 year old... just like I remember the "duck and cover days" a few years later...

GG

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
On 1/23/2021 at 10:01 AM, bluebell said:

I finally watched Tenet. It was good.  Entertaining.  Confusing as heck.  :lol:

I was happy I watched that one at home. I added sub titles and could rewind. :)

28 minutes ago, bsjkki said:

I was happy I watched that one at home. I added sub titles and could rewind. :)

I bet that would help!

I watched "The Attic"... the story of the hiding of the Anne Frank family and the others with them... every time I see this story it breaks my heart... the whole inhumanity of the Holocaust is incomprehensible to me... this film focused on Miep, the office worker who took care of them until the Nazis discovered them.  Mary Steenburgen starred as Miep... 

GG

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/13/2021 at 8:48 PM, Tacenda said:

Went to "Land" today, and loved it! The scenery was breath taking and the story line pulled at my heart strings!

I haven’t heard of that. What’s it about?

2 hours ago, bluebell said:

I haven’t heard of that. What’s it about?

I don't want to say too much, it slowly evolves to answer unanswered questions. The main character is Robin Wright, she played Jenny in Forrest Gump. She wants to disappear from the rest of the world and be on her own and buys a plot of land in Wyoming up in the mountains among all kinds of wild life and she brings what she thinks will be enough to get her by until she figures out how to live off the land.

But then others enter the picture and that's where it gets very touching. The scenery is breathtaking and I so want a place like that, but it's probably out of this world expensive for something like it. Maybe you would know the whereabouts of it since you've lived there.

It's rated PG13 and I don't recall any swear words, but there may have been some. No sexual scenes etc. Just a feel good movie. It's only playing in theaters, no streaming. It was what I wanted to do for Valentine's Day last Saturday! :)

33 minutes ago, Tacenda said:

I don't want to say too much, it slowly evolves to answer unanswered questions. The main character is Robin Wright, she played Jenny in Forrest Gump. She wants to disappear from the rest of the world and be on her own and buys a plot of land in Wyoming up in the mountains among all kinds of wild life and she brings what she thinks will be enough to get her by until she figures out how to live off the land.

But then others enter the picture and that's where it gets very touching. The scenery is breathtaking and I so want a place like that, but it's probably out of this world expensive for something like it. Maybe you would know the whereabouts of it since you've lived there.

It's rated PG13 and I don't recall any swear words, but there may have been some. No sexual scenes etc. Just a feel good movie. It's only playing in theaters, no streaming. It was what I wanted to do for Valentine's Day last Saturday! :)

It sounds like a really good movie.  I'll have to check it out.  It looks like it was filmed in Canada.  Movies are hardly ever filmed in Wyoming, the state isn't set up very well to accommodate that and they don't seem to want to change it.  Though they are losing out on some revenue by not be accommodating.  

7 hours ago, bluebell said:

It sounds like a really good movie.  I'll have to check it out.  It looks like it was filmed in Canada.  Movies are hardly ever filmed in Wyoming, the state isn't set up very well to accommodate that and they don't seem to want to change it.  Though they are losing out on some revenue by not be accommodating.  

There I go assuming too much! In one scene, I believe I saw Wyoming on a map she held up.

13 hours ago, Tacenda said:

There I go assuming too much! In one scene, I believe I saw Wyoming on a map she held up.

With the number of movies that take place in Wyoming, it's too bad they don't film here more often.  I think the only mainstream movie that actually did some filming here was Wind River.

Watched Final Descent last weekend.  It's based on the story of John Jones, who went caving with family in the Nutty Putty Cave here in Utah a few years ago, got stuck in a tight tunnel, and died hours later when attempts to get him out failed.  They had to leave his body in there and they sealed up the cave.  It's a hard movie to watch because you know what's coming, but it was really well done in how they told the story.  And it's very touching.

You can watch it on Prime.

13 minutes ago, bluebell said:

Watched Final Descent last weekend.  It's based on the story of John Jones, who went caving with family in the Nutty Putty Cave here in Utah a few years ago, got stuck in a tight tunnel, and died hours later when attempts to get him out failed.  They had to leave his body in there and they sealed up the cave.  It's a hard movie to watch because you know what's coming, but it was really well done in how they told the story.  And it's very touching.

You can watch it on Prime.

I saw this awhile ago, It was frustrating to see how they were helpless in pulling his body out. I understand why they had to seal the cave up, or I guess that was inevitable, and for sure a way to honor John's life. I believe my husband went on a scout trip to the cave when growing up. 

The wife and I rewatched Star Trek IV - The Voyage Home a couple of nights ago. My favourite Star Trek film.

• Like 1

The last couple of days I watched 2 movies from 1940's that I am adding to my film library... love them both and remember going with my mom and sis to see #1...

#1... Rachel and the Stranger... starring Loretta Young as Rachel, with William Holden and Robt Mitchum as co-stars... Rachel is a bondswoman, who is "bought" by widower  Wm Holden, who marries her for "appearances" to be a mother to his son... a warm, funny, tender story...

#2... The Farmer's Daughter... also starring Loretta Young, as Katie, a young Swedish woman in her early 20's with ambitions to be a nurse.  Circumstances place her in the home of young Congressman Morley (Joseph Cotton) and his politically active family... a delightful fast-paced story with Katie ending up as a candidate for Congress...

Both are really entertaining. 

GG

Edited by Garden Girl
  • Like 1
4 hours ago, Garden Girl said:

The last couple of days I watched 2 movies from 1940's that I am adding to my film library... love them both and remember going with my mom and sis to see #1...

#1... Rachel and the Stranger... starring Loretta Young as Rachel, with William Holden and Robt Mitchum as co-stars... Rachel is a bondswoman, who is "bought" by widower  Wm Holden, who marries her for "appearances" to be a mother to his son... a warm, funny, tender story...

#2... The Farmer's Daughter... also starring Loretta Young, as Katie, a young Swedish woman in her early 20's with ambitions to be a nurse.  Circumstances place her in the home of young Congressman Morley (Joseph Cotton) and his politically active family... a delightful fast-paced story with Katie ending up as a candidate for Congress...

Both are really entertaining. 

GG

I got a chuckle out of #1. I went to Wikipedia to get some more info and found this gem at the end of the article:

After Mitchum was arrested for possessing marijuana, RKO rushed to release the film to take advantage of the news of Mitchum's arrest.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
10 hours ago, Stargazer said:

I got a chuckle out of #1. I went to Wikipedia to get some more info and found this gem at the end of the article:

After Mitchum was arrested for possessing marijuana, RKO rushed to release the film to take advantage of the news of Mitchum's arrest.

Mitchum was always controversial, but I really liked him as an actor... 

GG

• Upvote 1
11 hours ago, Garden Girl said:

Mitchum was always controversial, but I really liked him as an actor... 

GG

My favorite Mitchum film is "Heaven Knows, Mr. Allison" with Deborah Kerr.

Of course it would be my favorite. It's a war movie. I'm so predictable.

Edited by Stargazer
added link to film article
  • Like 1

Watched The Kissing Booth on Netflix.  It's a teen rom/com that came out a couple of years ago I think.  It's very predictable and while it has some fun actors and moments, it's got some real issues too.  I would not recommend it.