Last Movie You Watched

altersteve

On 11/4/2020 at 11:17 PM, Garden Girl said:

Loved this once I got into it and understood the physical aspects... I remember weeping at the end, first because of the beauty of the film, then the ending...

GG

GG...Crouching Tiger is almost 20 years old now. Eastern film/martial arts was pretty new to me when it came out. It was/is beautiful. Art makes us weep...God bless.

I just watched this movie about a Seventh Day Adventist boy, who saved a bunch of his fellows on Okinawa, in 1945. He saved a couple of the enemy too, the Japanese. Praise God. So much brutality...so much humanity. The worst times...can bring out the best in us all. He (the 7th Day boy),  lived another many many years. The movie is called Hacksaw Ridge. Maybe it is false history. Trying to make me cry. If the history isn't certain, the story is true humanity. Like the history...or story, if someone insists, of our good Lord on the Cross, it makes one want to love everybody. We are all poor and needy.  

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1
1 hour ago, 3DOP said:

GG...Crouching Tiger is almost 20 years old now. Eastern film/martial arts was pretty new to me when it came out. It was/is beautiful. Art makes us weep...God bless.

I just watched this movie about a Seventh Day Adventist boy, who saved a bunch of his fellows on Okinawa, in 1945. He saved a couple of the enemy too, the Japanese. Praise God. So much brutality...so much humanity. The worst times...can bring out the best in us all. He (the 7th Day boy),  lived another many many years. The movie is called Hacksaw Ridge. Maybe it is false history. Trying to make me cry. If the history isn't certain, the story is true humanity. Like the history...or story, if someone insists, of our good Lord on the Cross, it makes one want to love everybody. We are all poor and needy.  

Hacksaw Ridge is one of my favorites and I've added it to my film library... and the story is absolutely true, about Desmond Dawes, the only Conscientous Objector to earn the Congressional Medal of Honor for his heroism... he singlehandedly saved 75 wounded men by lowering them down from the Ridge where they were taken to the med tent, all while not carrying a weapon as he had vowed never to touch or carry a weapon or kill another human(Thou Shall Not Kill).  He was almost court marshalled for refusing his commander's direct order to carry a rifle... but at the trial he was allowed to continue training as a combat medic...

Edit to add:  My husband was stationed in the Philipines and fought on Leyte and Mendanao... the brutal battle scenes in the movie were realistic based on the little he told me (he had painful memories).  

GG

Edited by Garden Girl
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

They had to remove some reality because they figured it wouldn’t be believed:

However, the filmmakers changed some details, notably the backstory of his father being a World War I veteran, the incident with the gun Doss took out of his alcoholic father's hands, and the circumstances of his first marriage.[45][46] The character of Smitty, portrayed by Luke Bracey, is an amalgamation of various soldiers who tormented Doss and was created for narrative reasons.[47] Other changes to the story occur near the end of the movie, when Doss is placed on a stretcher.

In real life, Doss had another wounded man take his place on the stretcher. After treating the soldier, a sniper shot fractured Doss's arm, and he crawled 300 yards (270 m)[48] to safety after being left alone for five hours.[49] Gibson omitted that from the film because he felt that the audience would not find the scene believable.[50] The film also omits his prior combat service in the Battle of Guam and Battle of Leyte (Doss was awarded the Bronze Star Medal for extraordinary bravery in both battles),[48] and it leaves the impression that Doss's actions at Okinawa took place over a period of a few days, but his Medal of Honor citation covered his actions over a period of about three weeks (April 29 to May 21).[45][51]

Edited by Calm
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

His citation off of wiki:

Private First Class Desmond T. Doss, United States Army, Medical Detachment, 307th Infantry, 77th Infantry Division. Near Urasoe-Mura, Okinawa, Ryukyu Islands, 29 April – 21 May 1945. He was a company aid man when the 1st Battalion assaulted a jagged escarpment 400 feet high. As our troops gained the summit, a heavy concentration of artillery, mortar and machinegun fire crashed into them, inflicting approximately 75 casualties and driving the others back. Private First Class Doss refused to seek cover and remained in the fire-swept area with the many stricken, carrying them one by one to the edge of the escarpment and there lowering them on a rope-supported litter down the face of a cliff to friendly hands. On 2 May, he exposed himself to heavy rifle and mortar fire in rescuing a wounded man 200 yards forward of the lines on the same escarpment; and two days later he treated four men who had been cut down while assaulting a strongly defended cave, advancing through a shower of grenades to within eight yards of enemy forces in a cave's mouth, where he dressed his comrades' wounds before making four separate trips under fire to evacuate them to safety. On 5 May, he unhesitatingly braved enemy shelling and small arms fire to assist an artillery officer. He applied bandages, moved his patient to a spot that offered protection from small-arms fire and, while artillery and mortar shells fell close by, painstakingly administered plasma. Later that day, when an American was severely wounded by fire from a cave, Private First Class Doss crawled to him where he had fallen 25 feet from the enemy position, rendered aid, and carried him 100 yards to safety while continually exposed to enemy fire. On 21 May, in a night attack on high ground near Shuri, he remained in exposed territory while the rest of his company took cover, fearlessly risking the chance that he would be mistaken for an infiltrating Japanese and giving aid to the injured until he was himself seriously wounded in the legs by the explosion of a grenade. Rather than call another aid man from cover, he cared for his own injuries and waited five hours before litter bearers reached him and started carrying him to cover. The trio was caught in an enemy tank attack and Private First Class Doss, seeing a more critically wounded man nearby, crawled off the litter and directed the bearers to give their first attention to the other man. Awaiting the litter bearers' return, he was again struck, this time suffering a compound fracture of one arm. With magnificent fortitude he bound a rifle stock to his shattered arm as a splint and then crawled 300 yards over rough terrain to the aid station. Through his outstanding bravery and unflinching determination in the face of desperately dangerous conditions Private First Class Doss saved the lives of many soldiers. His name became a symbol throughout the 77th Infantry Division for outstanding gallantry far above and beyond the call of duty.

He looks better looking than Garfield

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.historyvshollywood.com/reelfaces/hacksaw-ridge/

image.jpeg.02c2b84bd78a0dce89f3490cfd290f00.jpeg

Yes. "He was always helpful to people," said his brother Harold, who was his best friend when they were boys. "He was not one that would give up. He didn't know how." The Great Depression left their father, a carpenter, despondent and turning to alcohol at times (though the movie greatly exaggerates this and makes him abusive). Instead, Desmond took after his mother, Bertha Doss, who taught him about compassion, helping others, and the importance of following Christ. His sister Audrey recalled a time when they were young and Desmond went the extra mile to help victims of an accident.

"Anyone sick he'd be there," said his sister. "It was announced on the radio, we didn't have TVs in those days, it was announced there was an accident on Route 29 and they needed some blood right away to save this woman's life. He walked three miles to that hospital and walked three more miles back home after he gave blood. Two days later, a call came back over the radio, they need more blood. There he goes again, walks the three miles, then walks three miles back." In the movie, Desmond is motivated to give blood in order to get to know Dorothy, who works as a nurse, but in real life he met Dorothy Schutte at church. -The Conscientious Objector Documentary

Yes. The final assault to take the Maeda Escarpment happened on the morning of May 5, 1945, a Saturday, the day of Sabbath, which the Fourth Commandment says should be devoted to prayer. Given that Desmond was the only medic left in B Company, he agreed to go but requested that he first be given time to read his Bible. The delay was approved up the chain of command and the assault was put on hold until Desmond finished his devotions. That day, the 307th Infantry Regiment of the 77th Infantry Division overtook Hacksaw Ridge for good. -The Conscientious Objector Documentary

Edited by Calm
  • Like 1

They couldn’t have come up with a better story then this:

Yes. In a letter home to his wife Dorothy, written on May 31, 1945, he informed her that while being treated on the hospital ship Mercy, he realized he had lost his little Bible when he was wounded. It was the Bible she had given him before he shipped out. He told Dorothy that he hoped someone had found it and was holding it for him. "That was my main source of strength all during the war and in the service," Desmond said later, "and then when I lost it, I was lost." The men of Company B learned that it was missing and risked their lives to find it for Desmond, which they did. -The Conscientious Objector

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Calm said:

Never seen the movie, but based on a real man.  Doesn’t sound like you would need to add anything to spice it up...maybe a little romance  

https://www.npr.org/2016/11/04/500548745/the-real-hacksaw-ridge-soldier-saved-75-souls-without-ever-carrying-a-gun

The movie has brutal, violent battle scenes... I know they are realistic, based on what my husband was able to tell me... particularly about Leyte... it was 1944-45 for the most part, and most of the Japanese soldiers were so young... but then, so was my husband.  He was 19 - 20 when he was made a sergeant in charge of a group of men (because the older ones had been killed).  His memories were very painful;;;

GG

• Like 2
15 hours ago, Calm said:

Never seen the movie, but based on a real man.  Doesn’t sound like you would need to add anything to spice it up...maybe a little romance  

https://www.npr.org/2016/11/04/500548745/the-real-hacksaw-ridge-soldier-saved-75-souls-without-ever-carrying-a-gun

There is romance in the movie so you even have that. 

The movie is very very graphic.  Think the opening scenes of Saving Private Ryan kind of graphic.  But it's a really good movie and I think one that make sense to watch, even though it's rated R.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

The live action Mulan is finally available on Disney+ for free (it was $30 to watch it before) so I finally watched it last night.  It was good.  Very female empowering.  They went off of the Mulan myths that actually exist so that's nice. 

I still thought the animated one was better though.  It mingled humor with serious content which just made the movie a lot more fun to watch.  Plus, the animated Mulan had more of a personality than the live action one.  You rooted for her a bit more, and because she had more of a personality her camaraderie with the other men made more sense.  And the live action mulan did not really look or sound like a guy so you were left wondering how anyone could actually fall for the act.

And the worst was they had none of the songs of the animated Mulan, which really make the movie.  They added in a whole magic/witch element to the live action (maybe it's a part of the actual Mulan myth, I don't know) but I would have rather they had either saved some of the fantasy from the animated one and just used that or stayed completely real-to-life.  Taking out the cartoon fantasy and adding in different elements of make-believe was weird to me.

But like I said, it's a very pro-female movie, which is nice.  The only thing that would have made it better, in my opinion, was if it could have been pro female without the idea that women must either be brave and courageous or a wife and mother.  I don't like when shows throw motherhood and marriage under the bus to liberate women.  Mulan doesn't do that too horribly but it does it a little and I found that a bit annoying.

• Upvote 1

I'm not a fan of the Hallmark type Christmas movies, so I try to avoid them. I watched Last Christmas tonight; it stars Emilia Clarke, Henry Golding and Emma Thompson.. A lovely british romance type comedy Christmas movie. It was fun, funny, touching in a real way (not a Hallmark way). It also had a nice magical scene that made it very sweet. I liked it a lot.

M.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
10 hours ago, Maureen said:

I'm not a fan of the Hallmark type Christmas movies, so I try to avoid them. I watched Last Christmas tonight; it stars Emilia Clarke, Henry Golding and Emma Thompson.. A lovely british romance type comedy Christmas movie. It was fun, funny, touching in a real way (not a Hallmark way). It also had a nice magical scene that made it very sweet. I liked it a lot.

M.

I loved that one! I saw it in theaters last year and again the other day at home.

Edited by Tacenda
11 hours ago, Maureen said:

M.

Good to know!

My favorite Hallmark movie actors are:  Andrew Walker and Lacy Chabert...  

The Hallmark movies are predictable, but they are a nice, innocent diversion that don't require a lot of thought...

I watched another Hallmark movie... "Loving Leah" ... one of my favorites about a Jewish young woman, married to a Rabbi,  who is suddenly widowed and she and his unmarried brother come together at the funeral... and circumstances cause them to enter into a rarely practiced Leverite marriage... where the widow marries the unmarried brother so the husband's name will carry on.  They try to keep it platonic, but predictably they fall in love.  It is a rich, sweet story.  

GG

Edited by Garden Girl
  • Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/10/2020 at 11:43 PM, Garden Girl said:

My favorite Hallmark movie actors are:  Andrew Walker and Lacy Chabert...  

The Hallmark movies are predictable, but they are a nice, innocent diversion that don't require a lot of thought...

I watched another Hallmark movie... "Loving Leah" ... one of my favorites about a Jewish young woman, married to a Rabbi,  who is suddenly widowed and she and his unmarried brother come together at the funeral... and circumstances cause them to enter into a rarely practiced Leverite marriage... where the widow marries the unmarried brother so the husband's name will carry on.  They try to keep it platonic, but predictably they fall in love.  It is a rich, sweet story.  

GG

That was the first Hallmark movie I ever saw.

• Upvote 1

I watched Pixar’s new movie Soul on Disney plus. Very much enjoyed it. It even includes a ‘pre-existence.’

I also watched Tenet and enjoyed it too.

Edited by bsjkki
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
10 hours ago, bsjkki said:

Tonight we watched Love and Monsters. My 16 year old is in love with Dylan O’Brien. It was quite enjoyable and sweet with monsters and humor. 

We’ve seen that three times. My 18 year old boy loves it; it’s super cute. Even my 65 year old dad liked it. 

• Like 1
On 12/25/2020 at 11:28 PM, bsjkki said:

I watched Pixar’s new movie Soul on Disney plus. Very much enjoyed it. It even includes a ‘pre-existence.’

I also watched he’d Tenet and enjoyed it too.

I’ve wondered about Tenet. Is it confusing?

We watched Greenland last night. It’s a comet-is-going-to-destroy-the-earth movie but has a slightly different angle to it with good, well known actors.  Solidly entertaining. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, bluebell said:

We watched Greenland last night. It’s a comet-is-going-to-destroy-the-earth movie but has a slightly different angle to it with good, well known actors.  Solidly entertaining. 

We were planning on that tonight. Happy you liked it. I’m sad the period Netflix flick Bridgerton is raunchy. I could have used a fun, period series but it’s supposed to be quite bad.

22 minutes ago, bsjkki said:

We were planning on that tonight. Happy you liked it. I’m sad the period Netflix flick Bridgerton is raunchy. I could have used a fun, period series but it’s supposed to be quite bad.

I was wondering about that. The previews didn’t leave me much hope. 

4 hours ago, bluebell said:

I was wondering about that. The previews didn’t leave me much hope. 

Shonda Rhimes at the helm made me check. She is a good writer but includes too much in her shows on network TV...I figured Netflix would be worse.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, bsjkki said:

Anyone watch Wonder Woman 1984? Some seem to hate it and others find it entertaining.

It's probably fair to say that 99% of sequels are worse than the original, and WW84 is definitely no exception to that rule. 

I wouldn't say that it was a horrible movie, but - just like another sequel which happened to feature Chris Pine as well (i.e., Star Trek Into Darkness) - it's one of those movies that just keeps getting worse the more you think about it.

Seriously, the plot holes are legion. But maybe that's what the director was going for. Instead of wanting people to just walk away from an enjoyable movie, perhaps she wanted couples like my wife and me to spend the rest of their evening before bed talking about all the things that didn't make sense in the movie. If so, then mission accomplished. ;) 

• Haha 3