Last Movie You Watched

altersteve

2 hours ago, Tacenda said:

Watched the "The Hiding Place", on Amazon Prime, and I think it's on Netflix. Very good movie, it's older, made in 1975, and is about a family that helped hide Jewish people. And then they were caught and locked up. It concentrates on two sisters that were sent to a work camp and all that they went through. One of the parts was played by Julie Harris, I've always liked her. 

Have you ever read the book?  It’s written by Corrie ten Boom, the sister who lived. It’s amazing. 

(Tacenda... I too like "Guarding Tess"... isn't Shirley MacClaine great)

I've received several movies I'm adding to my film library....

Gorillas in the Mist  1988... Sigourney Weaver, Bryan Brown

Downton Abbey, The Movie...  2019  

The Emperor's Club  1988...  Kevin Kline

1917  2019...  Gordon MacKay

Snow White and the Huntsman   2012... Charlize Theron, Kristen Stewart, Chris Hemsworth

My two favorites of these are Gorillas in the Mist as the story of the research of Dian Fosey is powerful, and The Emperor's Club about a schoolmaster at an elite boy's prep school who tries to instill qualities of honor, integrity, and responsibility...

GG

Edited by Garden Girl
  • Like 1
On 9/14/2020 at 4:58 PM, Garden Girl said:

(Tacenda... I too like "Guarding Tess"... isn't Shirley MacClaine great)

I've received several movies I'm adding to my film library....

Gorillas in the Mist  1988... Sigourney Weaver, Bryan Brown

Downton Abbey, The Movie...  2019  

The Emperor's Club  1988...  Kevin Kline

1917  2019...  Gordon MacKay

Snow White and the Huntsman   2012... Charlize Theron, Kristen Stewart, Chris Hemsworth

My two favorites of these are Gorillas in the Mist as the story of the research of Dian Fosey is powerful, and The Emperor's Club about a schoolmaster at an elite boy's prep school who tries to instill qualities of honor, integrity, and responsibility...

GG

I can’t handle Gorillas in the Mist. I can’t do  sad animal stuff. 

• Like 1
31 minutes ago, bluebell said:

I can’t handle Gorillas in the Mist. I can’t do  sad animal stuff. 

I know what you mean BB... particularly dog stories... Fosey's research with Dr. Leakey was invaluable... I keep meaning to read up on her life.

GG

• Like 1

Y'all should watch Bachelor Mother. Released in 1939 with Ginger Rogers and David Niven and some guy who played a loser....oh...he is the guy who says "hee haw" in It's a Wonderful Life. We live in our own times. I could wish that I was fifty years older...and it was only 1970...wait...I hate the 70's. Whatever...

Some of you would like the dancing, the moderate innocence, the funny misunderstandings. So fun. Ginger Rogers was so much more than a handsome dancer...and she was that. She also acted with her face. So many movies came in 1939 that hold up very well...along with of course, Gone With the Wind. I can't believe it was late 2020 before I have seen yet another good one. I am glad there is more to discover.   

• Like 1

Watched on The Seventeenth Sunday After Pentecost, 2020 AD...The Man in the White Suit! Alec Guiness, Joan Plowright, what a voice... (The Importance of Being Earnest)

An economic, industrial, proletarian, laissez-faire comedy. Ealing Studios. (1951) Do we want an "invention" so economical, that it makes many other things obsolete? I say yes, without hesitation, as a former reader of Henry Hazlitt and L. von MIses that has seen nothing to replace them. We can't, but if we could get rid of crime? Yes. Of course...even though the economics meant all the police, with the lawyers and judges are out of work. It would be the biggest job displacement ever. Who could argue in favor of crime? What if an invention could eliminate bad health? Think of the economic disruption in the medical profession as well as the insurance sector. Miners, farmers, and other sweat laborers will always be in demand. There will always be work for former doctors and attorneys who are now obsolete. Good folks can disagree about what makes good economics. But if we could truly make a fabric that lasts forever and never needs laundered, would it be bad? That is the question this movie asks. Enjoy the comical, and think about the philosophical. A very fine British production.

• Upvote 1
4 hours ago, Rain said:

We watched Enola Holmes (sister of Sherlock) and liked it.  I think it was on Netflix.

I can’t believe the actress is 16 and one of the producers. She teamed up with her sister who fell in love with the books and introduced them to her so that she would go for the part. There is an intent for a sequel. There were six books, but I don’t know if they will follow them as she is 14 in the first book, not 16. 

So the estate of Conan Doyle is suing Netflix and Springer because it is too early in Sherlock’s character development for him to respect women and express emotions, they claim it has to happen when he is older and only they can do it since those stories are copyrighted still. There is no way they will succeed because they haven’t been consistent in protecting copyrights over the years I am guessing. They sued someone else and apparently the only thing the judge ruled as protected was that Sherlock liked dogs. 

I get the feeling that someone in charge of the estate wants to make some money. About the only production that didn’t take liberties was the Jeremy Brett Masterpiece Theatre version...still my favorite. Got to admit I have to watch most of the adapted shows and read ‘Further adventures’ books as if another character is involved as I am a purist, but I also like to see how creative people are with the genre. I think this was done well except for Mycroft. He is a horrible character and nothing like the real one (you can put ‘’ around real if you feel the need).  There should be sufficient resemblance rather than just borrowing a name or relationship. They could have been more in line and still have the same plot as both Sherlock and Mycroft were very Victorian. And Mycroft was extraordinarily lazy, so would be dumping a ward that way without the whole attitude given him. Giving him a chip on the shoulder is just wrong as he was even more brilliant than Sherlock (to the extent he basically ran the British government, but made everyone else do the work).

Edited by Calm
  • 2 weeks later...

The Cowboy and the Lady, 1936, Gary Cooper and Merle Oberon...

84 years ago in America. Mom was one year old. I was minus twenty years old...heh.

The Lady was able to win the cowboy because he did not know that she was a child of privilege. (Her father was trying to get the "presidential nomination"...against FDR? Republicans in '36? No way. How silly.) But forget about that in 2020...what a sweet story and movie. She was swept with him because he thought she was ordinary, a lady's maid. She didn't want a guy who was looking for her money or position. He was swept with her, a little deceived, thinking she was a hard luck story. He thought that someone of privilege could never be real..or please him. He was happily wrong. A delightful little love story. Big tall Coop, and petite little Lady Oberon. What fun...who needs any more movies to be made today???...there are enough to be discovered from the days of grandpa and grandma.

• Upvote 1

Enola Holmes on Netflix is very entertaining.  Even my husband, who is super picky about movies liked it.  It's funny and engaging, and family friendly.  Henry Cavill (of superman, mission impossible, and The Witcher fame) plays Sherlock.  

On 10/9/2020 at 8:24 PM, 3DOP said:

The Cowboy and the Lady, 1936, Gary Cooper and Merle Oberon...

84 years ago in America. Mom was one year old. I was minus twenty years old...heh.

The Lady was able to win the cowboy because he did not know that she was a child of privilege. (Her father was trying to get the "presidential nomination"...against FDR? Republicans in '36? No way. How silly.) But forget about that in 2020...what a sweet story and movie. She was swept with him because he thought she was ordinary, a lady's maid. She didn't want a guy who was looking for her money or position. He was swept with her, a little deceived, thinking she was a hard luck story. He thought that someone of privilege could never be real..or please him. He was happily wrong. A delightful little love story. Big tall Coop, and petite little Lady Oberon. What fun...who needs any more movies to be made today???...there are enough to be discovered from the days of grandpa and grandma.

3DOP!!  One of my favorite movies, in fact, I am filling out the order form today to add it to my film library... I get this catalog from a national bookseller (Edward R. Hamilton, Bookseller) that includes movies. particularly the "oldies" like this one... so I have quite a nice library of more than 150 DVD films that I will pass along... 

GG

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

I just watched La La Land, starring  and Emma Stone and Ryan Gosling.  This movie won 6 academy awards, and has been described as "Sheer Cinematic Bliss" and " The movie of the year."  I agree it is a good movie, but just Ho Hum... The actors did a fine job, but the story isn't anything special even though it's described as a musical Masterpiece... about an actress and jazz musician and their relationship as they pursue their individual dreams and careers.  

GG

Edited by Garden Girl
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, Garden Girl said:

I just watched La La Land, starring  and Emma Stone and Ryan Gosling.  This movie won 6 academy awards, and has been described as "Sheer Cinematic Bliss" and " The movie of the year."  I agree it is a good movie, but just Ho Hum... The actors did a fine job, but the story isn't anything special even though it's described as a musical Masterpiece... about an actress and jazz musician and their relationship as they pursue their individual dreams and careers.  

GG

I'm with you, it was a let down.

On 10/27/2020 at 5:25 PM, Garden Girl said:

GG

I agree.

I made my 15 year old watch The Dead Poet's Society with me this weekend and forgot how much I loved that movie.  And he ended up liking it too, which seemed like a coup.  We also watched 10 Cloverfield Lane again Halloween night, which I highly recommend because it's got some interesting twists you don't see coming and it's generally very entertaining.  

On 10/27/2020 at 6:25 PM, Garden Girl said:

GG

I tried to watch it but didn't make it very far.  It wasn't nearly as good as everyone said it was.

• Like 2
On 11/2/2020 at 9:01 AM, bluebell said:

I made my 15 year old watch The Dead Poet's Society with me this weekend and forgot how much I loved that movie.  And he ended up liking it too, which seemed like a coup.  We also watched 10 Cloverfield Lane again Halloween night, which I highly recommend because it's got some interesting twists you don't see coming and it's generally very entertaining.  

This is one of my all-time favorites...

GG

• Like 1

My favorite movie of all time is Casablanca. Anything with Humphrey Bogart. The Maltese Falcon is excellent. Arsenic and old lace, mr. Roberts. A great Japanese film, Descendants, is worth your time. Can’t forget Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon. The acting is amazing. It’s very subtle and paying attention is paramount to understanding the relationships between the characters. It’s best in Chinese and subtitles. 

57 minutes ago, sweetpotatoh said:

My favorite movie of all time is Casablanca. Anything with Humphrey Bogart. The Maltese Falcon is excellent. Arsenic and old lace, mr. Roberts. A great Japanese film, Descendants, is worth your time. Can’t forget Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon. The acting is amazing. It’s very subtle and paying attention is paramount to understanding the relationships between the characters. It’s best in Chinese and subtitles. 

Loved this once I got into it and understood the physical aspects... I remember weeping at the end, first because of the beauty of the film, then the ending...

GG