Seriously No Politics ×

Last Movie You Watched

altersteve

16 minutes ago, bluebell said:

I keep trying to get addicted to that one but I haven't managed it yet.  It just seems like another Grey's Anatomy.  I haven't given up though.

I never got into Grey's Anatomy. So there's that. But every time I watch an episode of New Amsterdam I'm emotional and tearing up, I guess I need the outlet, haha. But love, love their story lines and the actors and characters. And their goodness, nice to see it. 

10 minutes ago, Tacenda said:

I never got into Grey's Anatomy. So there's that. But every time I watch an episode of New Amsterdam I'm emotional and tearing up, I guess I need the outlet, haha. But love, love their story lines and the actors and characters. And their goodness, nice to see it. 

It is very emotional.

14 hours ago, Tacenda said:

I only made it through 14 episodes of Greys. It turned into a soap opera. I can’t believe it’s still running!

On 3/2/2023 at 11:35 AM, Amulek said:

Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania

Rotten Tomatoes has only 48% of critics giving it a positive review while audiences rate it a solid 83%.

Spoiler alert: The critics are right.

The movie was just all over the place, and not in a well-designed or intriguing sort of way. There are basically three main characters throughout the film - only one of which is actually on the marquee - and the film really suffers for it. At one point I actually fell asleep.

My advice: skip it and wait for it to pop up on Disney+ six months from now (or whenever).

i have not enjoyed much of the MCU since Endgame. Spiderman was very fun but hated Dr. Strange. Didn't really enjoy the Eternals that much. A bit tired of it all to get into that many new characters and the Wakanda sequel was a let down too. I used to say Marvel was good at giving their fans what they wanted but they seem to have lost that. Thor Love and Thunder was meh...trying too hard and made the characters too silly. 

I did enjoy The Devil's Hour series. Suspenseful and creepy and kept my attention. Interesting characters. 

On 3/2/2023 at 12:35 PM, Amulek said:

Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania

Rotten Tomatoes has only 48% of critics giving it a positive review while audiences rate it a solid 83%.

Spoiler alert: The critics are right.

The movie was just all over the place, and not in a well-designed or intriguing sort of way. There are basically three main characters throughout the film - only one of which is actually on the marquee - and the film really suffers for it. At one point I actually fell asleep.

My advice: skip it and wait for it to pop up on Disney+ six months from now (or whenever).

They say Quantumania's plot is exactly the same as Tron: Legacy, and Tron did it better. Is that true?

I can't really stand superhero movies anymore because it seems like 90% tennis ball terror (the phrase some movie critic coined about the overuse of CGI in movies with actors acting opposite tennis balls on a stick).  Computer animation is cool and useful but I think the last Maverick movie proved that it can't replace live action sequences where the actors are acting within an actual physical world and not in front of a green screen.

2 hours ago, bluebell said:

I can't really stand superhero movies anymore because it seems like 90% tennis ball terror (the phrase some movie critic coined about the overuse of CGI in movies with actors acting opposite tennis balls on a stick).  Computer animation is cool and useful but I think the last Maverick movie proved that it can't replace live action sequences where the actors are acting within an actual physical world and not in front of a green screen.

You mean table-tennis balls? CGI is best when its unnoticed. Hide the wires, change day to night, match the two scenes. They seamlessly use it. The worst CGI is when its interacting but it's not interactive. New Mandalorian episode has a CGI crocodile, all these fleshy CGI videogame monsters don't react to bullets nor appear to take damage, no signs of progress, then suddenly their health bar runs out.

16 minutes ago, Pyreaux said:

You mean table-tennis balls? CGI is best when its unnoticed. Hide the wires, change day to night, match the two scenes. They seamlessly use it. The worst CGI is when its interacting but it's not interactive. New Mandalorian episode has a CGI crocodile, all these fleshy CGI videogame monsters don't react to bullets nor appear to take damage, no signs of progress, then suddenly their health bar runs out.

No, I mean regular tennis balls.

They often use them, mounted on sticks, so the actors know where to look or have something to interact with so that it's easier to put the cgi in later.

Below is an actress petting a "dragon".

article-2416466-1BB8DC1A000005DC-108_634x444.jpg

And I agree that CGI animals are usually the worst.  I've never seen a cgi dog that even comes close to looking like an actual dog.

Edited by bluebell
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

John Wick: Chapter 4 - Solid ending for the gun fu fighting franchise.

Shazam! Fury of the Gods - Certainly worse than the original. Really wish it could have been a better film - I like Zachary Levi a lot, but with the Snyderverse spiraling into oblivion to make way for James Gun's take on the next DC reboot this may be the last time we see him in a suit.

Prom Pact - It's no genre-standout fresh take like Crazy Rich Asians, but it's a solid teenage rom-com geared for that audience but with enough 80's references and music to make it tolerable for their parents to endure as well. ;)

On 4/1/2023 at 1:07 AM, bsjkki said:

I enjoyed The Night Agent on Netflix. 

I thought it was solid Netflix fare.

And it's the kind of show that's ideal for the 'binge' format. At least for me, being able to dive right into the next episode and keep the story moving forward helps distract me from focusing too much on the less plausible aspects of the story line. If I had to wait a week between each episode I would probably be much more critical.

1 hour ago, Amulek said:

John Wick: Chapter 4 - Solid ending for the gun fu fighting franchise.

Shazam! Fury of the Gods - Certainly worse than the original. Really wish it could have been a better film - I like Zachary Levi a lot, but with the Snyderverse spiraling into oblivion to make way for James Gun's take on the next DC reboot this may be the last time we see him in a suit.

Prom Pact - It's no genre-standout fresh take like Crazy Rich Asians, but it's a solid teenage rom-com geared for that audience but with enough 80's references and music to make it tolerable for their parents to endure as well. ;)

I was really annoyed by the ending of John Wick four.  To me it felt like it made everything that happened in the first three movies incredibly senseless. Because the movie ended the same way it would’ve if he had just not done anything in those first three movies, except a lot more people would be alive. Good people that tried to help him.

And he doesn’t actually get revenge on anyone in power or take down anyone significant in power. He just kills a lot of pawns.

***Spoiler alert***

It feels to me like the table wins in the end.

18 minutes ago, bluebell said:

I was really annoyed by the ending of John Wick four.  To me it felt like it made everything that happened in the first three movies incredibly senseless. Because the movie ended the same way it would’ve if he had just not done anything in those first three movies, except a lot more people would be alive. Good people that tried to help him.

And he doesn’t actually get revenge on anyone in power or take down anyone significant in power. He just kills a lot of pawns.

***Spoiler alert***

That sounds frustrating. 

Watched Pride and Prejudice again (with Keira Knightly) and liked it more than the last time I watched it years ago.  I've been watching some YouTube guys called Cinema Therapy which I really like so I watched after they reviewed it.

I've been enjoying the Cinema Therapy videos.  It's 2 friends, one a filmaker and one a therapist.  I don't always agree with what they say, but they are pretty interesting and point out things I didn't see.

59 minutes ago, bsjkki said:

That sounds frustrating. 

It was for me apparently. 😂

Not my type of movie in general, the fight scenes last forever. In fact, the movie is probably three-quarter fight scenes and 1/4 story. Sitting through all that I at least wanted the bad guys to get it in the end.  🤣

Paramount+ has a new series out called Grease: the rise of the pink ladies.

It’s a musical and I was tentative when I watched the first episode because I’m not really into musicals in general. But the storyline is engaging and the actors are all really good and it’s just a really fun. They only release one episode a week and we’re only two episodes in but so far I really like it.

1 hour ago, Rain said:

Watched Pride and Prejudice again (with Keira Knightly) and liked it more than the last time I watched it years ago.  I've been watching some YouTube guys called Cinema Therapy which I really like so I watched after they reviewed it.

I've been enjoying the Cinema Therapy videos.  It's 2 friends, one a filmaker and one a therapist.  I don't always agree with what they say, but they are pretty interesting and point out things I didn't see.

That sounds really interesting. I’ll have to check them out.

1 hour ago, bluebell said:

***Spoiler alert***

See, and I thought it was a really satisfying ending because by the end of the film he is reconciled with both his friends and his 'family,' and he manages to find a way to beat the High Table at their own game - allowing him to finally die a free man.

And that race-against-the-clock staircase sequence at the end was just greatness. Well, at least until the very end where the dog kind of ruined it for me, but a lot of the people around me found that bit to be quite humorous so I guess I'll have to accept the director's decision to include it.

7 minutes ago, Amulek said:

See, and I thought it was a really satisfying ending because by the end of the film he is reconciled with both his friends and his 'family,' and he manages to find a way to beat the High Table at their own game - allowing him to finally die a free man.

And that race-against-the-clock staircase sequence at the end was just greatness. Well, at least until the very end where the dog kind of ruined it for me, but a lot of the people around me found that bit to be quite humorous so I guess I'll have to accept the director's decision to include it.

From my perspective, the high table got what they wanted:  to keep all of their power and him be dead.

And the reconciliation with both his family and his friends felt hollow because his family still didn’t care about him, and just wanted to use him to get revenge on somebody else. And they were completely fine if he was killed in the process. And then his friends, half of them died because they helped him and the other half he ended up personally killing.

Winston was a huge traitor to him, and he ended up getting everything he wanted in the end.  

He was a free man at the beginning of the first movie, so if he had fought none of those battles, it seems like he still would’ve died a free man.

The fourth movie’s battle between him and the marquee felt so cheap to me because the marquee was just a pawn of the table. He wasn’t the actual bad guy.  Wick never went up against anyone at the table except the woman, and she wasn’t even his enemy. She had been his friend. The final movie should’ve been him against the table and I feel having him fight against another low level boss was such a wasted opportunity for the final chapter.

23 hours ago, bsjkki said:

I very much enjoyed the Dungeons and Dragons movie.

I wasn't super impressed with the trailers (save for that one featuring the Speak with Dead spell - that scene was comedy gold), but after hearing pretty much nothing but positive reviews both from movie critics and friends who still play D&D I decided to roll the dice and check it out whilst still in theaters.

And I was glad I did. I found it to be an entertaining fantasy/action film that had the good sense to not take itself too seriously - something that a certain other franchise which happens to be built around absolutely ridiculous premises could stand to take a page from.

I also liked that the story was self-contained. I've been feeling a bit franchise fatigued as of late, so I thought it was really nice to walk out of the theater without feeling like you've just signed up to sit through X more movies. Now, obviously, if the film makes a ton of money I understand there will be incentive to make more, but the film didn't feel like it was trying to launch a whole new series so kudos to them on that front for sure.