Seriously No Politics ×

Last Movie You Watched

altersteve

You need 25 posts total before opening threads in other forums and being able to edit your posts.  You have 7 so far as of my posting, so you may want to speed up your posting rate if you want that to happen before April. :) 

Netflix released the sequel to Enola Holmes and it's pretty entertaining.  If you liked the first one or like detective type mystery shows from the sherlock holmes era that you'll probably like this one.  It's about sherlock holmes sister and has well known actors in it.

Thanks for posting it, haven’t been watching Netflix much...besides being completely unlike the actual (ah, fictional) Sherlock Holmes, it was pretty entertaining. I read the books afterwards.  Iirc, the book was truer to the Holmes canon.  Holmes was in no way even a hint of a feminist, lol.

Edited by Calm

The latest Dowton Abbey movie is now free on Amazon Prime so I watched it.  Definitely not as good as the first one (and I would imagine it would not be at all interesting to people who never watched the series), but it wasn't a horrible way to spend a couple of hours.

Any thoughts about Something Wicked This Way Comes? One of my favorites.  

Does anyone know where I can watch (streamed, please ... streamed, streamed, streamed ... pretty please!) the documentary/docudrama Witnesses: Undaunted?

On 11/13/2022 at 6:42 PM, Bernard Gui said:

Any thoughts about Something Wicked This Way Comes? One of my favorites.  

No ... but I have seen the sequel, Womething Sicked This Cay Womes;):D 

On 11/1/2022 at 8:22 AM, Tacenda said:

"Play Misty for Me" with Clint Eastwood is the kind of horror movie that will scare me the most, something that can really happen. I saw this as a teenager and it scared me, my sisters and mom big time. But I still jump at the stupidest scary movies that aren't as realistic as well. 

Psycho was that movie for my mom.  (But, yes, I know that the two of you are from decidedly different generations. ;))

13 hours ago, Kenngo1969 said:

Psycho was that movie for my mom.  (But, yes, I know that the two of you are from decidedly different generations. ;))

Oh not at all, watched that and it was scary as all get out too. I liked some Alfred Hitchcock movies. I watched a lot of older movies with my mom. 

8 minutes ago, Tacenda said:

Oh not at all, watched that and it was scary as all get out too. I liked some Alfred Hitchcock movies. I watched a lot of older movies with my mom. 

I like Hitchcock's generally "understated" horror a lot more than I like today's all-too-common "the-guy-with-the-chainsaw-has-just-chopped-off-five-people's-heads-and-now-he's-coming-for-you" variety.

It's not a movie but the Amazon limited series "The English" is excellent. 

I highly recommend it, especially for anyone who enjoys the western genre of shows or films.  It has excellent actors in it and a really good storyline.  The story is told in an interesting way--almost like a mystery--so it can be confusing a little at the beginning but the pieces will soon all fall into place and then everything makes so much sense (and most of it will not be what you thought at the beginning).  The ending is both happy and incredibly poignant.

It's rated TV-16 because the themes are very adult and there's blood and violence.  A couple of episodes list nudity or sexual themes as the reason for the rating but the nudity is not sexual in nature (a dead man's butt) and the sexual themes are alluded too or spoken about, never shown.  And if I remember right there was only one or two F words in the entire series.

On 11/17/2022 at 11:33 AM, Jakob42 said:

The last movie that I watched was The Fisher King.   One of my favorites because it takes us into the mysterious landscapes which exist between hard reality and dreamy idealism.  And it does so while avoiding any suggestion of right or wrong approaches to life.  I keep a copy in my film library.  I watch it every year or so in order to maintain my social balance.

I watched it years after it's release, and was really glad I did. Love Robin Williams too. And Jeff Bridges did a great job too!

Miracle on 34th Street (1994)

The tree is up; the icicle lights are on the roof; and Christmas movie time is now in full swing at our house. We kicked it off this weekend with Miracle on 34th Street.

I would say the original is the better film, but I do really like Richard Attenborough as Santa.

I caved in and got a subscription to Living Scriptures so that I could see Undaunted: Witnesses.  I thought it was good.  It is interesting how, in a couple (a few) places, they used dramatizations that did not appear in the drama film.  Anyone else have any thoughts on it?  And if anyone knows of any other "live action" productions that are worth watching on Living Scriptures, I would appreciate the recommendations.  Thanks.

This weekend was Home Alone and The Grinch (2018 computer animated version).

The kids don't like the Jim Carrey version, so that one pretty much never gets much play in our house, which is fine by me - he's one of those comedians that I've just never been a fan of (closest would have to be a few bits back when he was on In Living Color, but honestly not much after that).

If anyone likes documentary type shows, Netflix has a new one about the eruption of the volcano in New Zealand that occured in 2019 while tourists were on the island.  It's told completely by the people who were there or involved in some way, and much of the footage shown is from cell phones.  It's well done, but of course sad because of the deaths that occurred.