Seriously No Politics ×

Last Movie You Watched

altersteve

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Garden Girl said:

No... I hope to see it soon, somewhere...

GG

Well, if worse comes to worst, it'll be available on digital media at Deseret Book (and its online equivalent), I'm sure.  It is well worth watching. :) 

• 2 weeks later...

Watching a documentary put on Amazon Prime just today. Heard about it from a film critic on a local morning show that she gave it an A, which she said she rarely gives on a film. Thought some of you might like it.  

I am a partial Val Kilmer fan. I like a few of his movies...

It's really good so far, and called just, "Val". 

ETA: Just finished, and absolutely agree, it's definitely an A!

Edited by Tacenda

Witnesses has been extended through [at least part of] Education Week in some theaters in the Utah County area of Utah.  Tell your friends!  Its run has begun relatively recently in other places in Utah, as well as elsewhere.  You really ought to see it if you haven't yet; it's really quite good.  Good enough, in fact, for me to see it 6-7 times, and my attitude about most movies I've seen once is, "Meh, good flick [maybe], but, been there, seen that!"  (That should really tell you something!)

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/danpeterson/2021/08/almas-reality.html  (Includes information about the extension of Witnesses' run, for those of you who may be confused about the link.)

Edited by Kenngo1969
On 8/6/2021 at 11:16 AM, Tacenda said:

Watching a documentary put on Amazon Prime just today. Heard about it from a film critic on a local morning show that she gave it an A, which she said she rarely gives on a film. Thought some of you might like it.  

I am a partial Val Kilmer fan. I like a few of his movies...

It's really good so far, and called just, "Val". 

ETA: Just finished, and absolutely agree, it's definitely an A!

So, you're going to leave us in suspense, huh, and not tell us what the documentary is??? :huh: :unsure: :unknw:

14 minutes ago, Kenngo1969 said:

So, you're going to leave us in suspense, huh, and not tell us what the documentary is??? :huh: :unsure: :unknw:

Basically a film bio of his life done by Kilmer and others.  He was (possibly is) obsessive about recording his life and work, so there was that to draw from as well as the usual sources.  He has throat cancer and has lost the ability to speak easily…tragic for anyone, but added dimension being an actor.  Some of the narration is done by his son, whose voice is similar IMO but higher in pitch a bit.  (Watched the trailer, not the movie).  A lot of it sounds self indulgent, an exercise in arrogance from what I read of one review.  Left out some important warts apparently.  If one is a movie buff or Kilmer fan, probably interesting.  Kilmer had some roles that were outstanding, others that were just fun to watch (Willow), but his personal life was messy and he sounded like a pain to work with at least from the gossip I stumbled across while waiting in grocery lines and other places…I usually forget such gossip thankfully, but sometimes it sticks if the name means something to me.

Edited by Calm

Watched Land last night, with Robin Wright as the lead and director.  I really liked it.

Its about a woman with a tragic past who buys a cabin in a fictitious place in Wyoming and wants to be a hermit.

It’s got a lot of heart. 

17 hours ago, Calm said:

Basically a film bio of his life done by Kilmer and others.  He was (possibly is) obsessive about recording his life and work, so there was that to draw from as well as the usual sources.  He has throat cancer and has lost the ability to speak easily…tragic for anyone, but added dimension being an actor.  Some of the narration is done by his son, whose voice is similar IMO but higher in pitch a bit.  (Watched the trailer, not the movie).  A lot of it sounds self indulgent, an exercise in arrogance from what I read of one review.  Left out some important warts apparently.  If one is a movie buff or Kilmer fan, probably interesting.  Kilmer had some roles that were outstanding, others that were just fun to watch (Willow), but his personal life was messy and he sounded like a pain to work with at least from the gossip I stumbled across while waiting in grocery lines and other places…I usually forget such gossip thankfully, but sometimes it sticks if the name means something to me.

Thanks Calm, for the information for Ken. I believe it's a really well done documentary. Brings up some things such as his beliefs and yes he wasn't perfect for sure. But the death of his brother probably affected him for the rest of his life. 

Edited by Tacenda
22 minutes ago, Tacenda said:

Thanks Calm, for the information for Ken. I believe it's a really well done documentary. Brings up some things such as his beliefs and yes he wasn't perfect for sure. But the death of his brother probably affected him for the rest of his life. 

Rereading my post there is a definite negative vibe to it. I haven’t seen it, so just posted what I noticed most about the trailer…his son’s voice threw me as I thought it was him, but it didn’t quite match and then read it was his son (not negative of course, just disorienting a wee bit)…and then the review I read was frustrated because the documentary could have taken just a few more steps to being great, but it also had positive stuff to say since it could have been (at least that was the vibe I got).

However, I am not a movie buff in the sense of getting into style and meaning, direction, editing. For me, it is about the world it creates and how well it succeeds, how much effort it has put into consistency in the storyline or if it relied on shortcuts instead of detail work, for example (using music for emotional impact instead of decent dialogue or chemistry in relationships).  So the talk about the impact of acting, etc just went over or through my head. 

Edited by Calm
4 hours ago, Calm said:

Rereading my post there is a definite negative vibe to it. I haven’t seen it, so just posted what I noticed most about the trailer…his son’s voice threw me as I thought it was him, but it didn’t quite match and then read it was his son (not negative of course, just disorienting a wee bit)…and then the review I read was frustrated because the documentary could have taken just a few more steps to being great, but it also had positive stuff to say since it could have been (at least that was the vibe I got).

However, I am not a movie buff in the sense of getting into style and meaning, direction, editing. For me, it is about the world it creates and how well it succeeds, how much effort it has put into consistency in the storyline or if it relied on shortcuts instead of detail work, for example (using music for emotional impact instead of decent dialogue or chemistry in relationships).  So the talk about the impact of acting, etc just went over or through my head. 

I don't think he's a great actor. The best movie I've seen him in was,"The Saint". But when the local movie critic said how she rarely gave A's for a movie, and that this one deserved it, it made me want to watch while I have Amazon Prime. I actually watched it twice because I liked it. Of course I like non fiction books more nowadays, and have always loved reading about people's lives and read a lot of autobiographies and biographies. 

16 minutes ago, Tacenda said:

I don't think he's a great actor. The best movie I've seen him in was,"The Saint". But when the local movie critic said how she rarely gave A's for a movie, and that this one deserved it, it made me want to watch while I have Amazon Prime. I actually watched it twice because I liked it. Of course I like non fiction books more nowadays, and have always loved reading about people's lives and read a lot of autobiographies and biographies. 

I loved him in Real Genius.  

36 minutes ago, bluebell said:

I will check it out! Right after watching the documentary I went to his movies, hadn't seen the majority. But picked Thunderheart, it was pretty good. I've only seen, The Saint, At First Sight, Dejavu, Willow and Top Gun. 

3 hours ago, bluebell said:

That was the perfect show for him…fit his natural arrogance very well. The guy living in the walls cracked me up. Real Genius and Willow are my favorites.

I also liked Kiss kiss bang bang…rated R but after living in Canada we ignored the rating system as erratic and no one but me bothered after that and now I don’t either.  When PG 13 or whatever it is started allowing so many swears per rating, I saw it as hypocritical and choose to go by movie, not rating.  Which means on occasion I watch movies I probably shouldn’t because I rationalize it isn’t going to bother me if the movie is intriguing enough before I hit my usual tolerance level (which is usually pretty fast).  It is language that bothers me, sex scenes and violence are now generally boring after seeing plenty of even just the mild stuff over the years.  Just too fake to care. Both have to be really well choreographed for me to get hooked, I get uncomfortable enough with the good sex scenes I fast forward over them as opposed to mute and check my phone for the boring ones.  Violence I watch if unrealistic enough to simply be dance with red splashes here and there. I have never noticed I have grown in approval of the realistic violence so not on my concern list, I do notice my mind language changes which is why unless I am particularly weak and needing distraction that day, I skip the heavy language shows no matter how good.  I have a vague memory this was a very guilty pleasure.  After reading a review, hoping I watched an edited for tv version, but pretty sure I didn’t. Won’t be watching again to find out. Probably should go confess it…does this count here?

Never saw Top Gun.  Never likely will.  No desire at all. 

The Saint I so wanted to love, but just couldn’t.  Roger Moore is the definitive version for me.  I read a lot of the books as well, but after I was hooked on the Moore portrayal.  I need to refresh my memory of the original version one of these days. Those and the Perry Mason books were well worth reading, even if formulaic. Sometimes formulas are very inviting, like getting into a freshly made bed and sinking into the pillow, familiar and new at the same time.  It did not help that the whole premise for the Saint film didn’t work if you knew Moscow.  The city had 7 plants that supplied heat through hot water pipes.  No one would have been freezing unless the whole system shut down and very few would have had fireplaces to burn wood. (They showed wood trim being torn apart to burn to keep warm).  It was beautiful though.

I don’t like Westerns, but Tombstone was good that I recall…been a long while.  Was a TV ‘safe’ version.   I liked his Batman a lot the first time I saw it, but it was flat the second…the whole movie was flat Imo, so not his fault.  He wore the suits well though, both Bruce’s and Batman’s. ;) 

I remember my son really liked the Island of Dr. Moreau, I don’t like the story, so skipped it. Saw the Michael York version eons ago, probably on late night TV. 

Edited by Calm
10 hours ago, Calm said:

I remember my son really liked the Island of Dr. Moreau, I don’t like the story, so skipped it. Saw the Michael York version eons ago, probably on late night TV. 

My friend and I saw the Island of Dr. Moreau in college but we walked out when the animal/human sex stuff scene came on.  Even before that I found the movie too weird.

8 minutes ago, bluebell said:

My friend and I saw the Island of Dr. Moreau in college but we walked out when the animal/human sex stuff scene came on.  Even before that I found the movie too weird.

I think that's why I didn't watch a lot of his films, they seemed odd to me. In the documentary he's a bit eccentric at times. 

• 2 weeks later...

Watched the new Cinderella.  I enjoyed it overall, but I give it a 6 or a 7.  I loved the color - both the skin and clothing etc. I think it was trying too hard to be a diverse Ella Enchanted and missed.  Even repeated one of the songs and really missed there.  I wonder how many who rated it a 10 have seen Ella Enchanted and if they had seen it first if it would have changed the rating.

Edited by Rain