Seriously No Politics ×

Last Movie You Watched

altersteve

38 minutes ago, Kenngo1969 said:

I love movies that have titles that are fun to spoonerize: Scruster Buggs. ;) :D 

See the movie, the guy they had playing Buster was awesome.

Here's another fav, the extended edition almost made it a different movie.  Hint Hint, the Hospitaller was likely an angel, you'd have to have seen the extended version to get it.

Kingdom of Heaven - Knight Hospitaller - YouTube

• 2 weeks later...

One of my favorites... a wonderful family friendly film... "Last of the Dogmen" from 1995... starring Tom Beringer and Barbara Hershey... She is an anthropologist, specializing in Native American culture, on a dig in the wild and rugged Montana Oxbow region... He is a bounty hunter tracking some escaped convicts... the two cross paths... they join forces when they discover descendants of the "Dogmen", an elite Native American fighting force, active 120 years earlier...  an exciting tale, beautifully filmed in spectacular landscapes..

GG

20 hours ago, Garden Girl said:

One of my favorites... a wonderful family friendly film... "Last of the Dogmen" from 1995... starring Tom Beringer and Barbara Hershey... She is an anthropologist, specializing in Native American culture, on a dig in the wild and rugged Montana Oxbow region... He is a bounty hunter tracking some escaped convicts... the two cross paths... they join forces when they discover descendants of the "Dogmen", an elite Native American fighting force, active 120 years earlier...  an exciting tale, beautifully filmed in spectacular landscapes..

GG

One of my families favorites. My husband loves it.

Edited by bsjkki

I got to watch Wonder Woman 1984 yesterday, and I thought it was actually really good.

I had heard weird things about it going in, and that it was a bit overly political... but after watching it, I've gotta say the rumors were pretty wrong.

I found the moral of the story to be pretty awesome and refreshing, and it tied in the gospel a lot.  A lot of talk about gratitude, satisfaction with what one has, and being honest with oneself.  It was really good.

I don't think the action scenes played out as well, but I don't mind that so much.

On 6/9/2021 at 1:32 AM, Garden Girl said:

GG

I like that one.

Went and saw In the Heights. I thought I would love it but did not. It's a little slow, too long, and the story was just not tight enough for my attention span. Some of the musical numbers were cute, the cast was super talented but overall it was just, 'meh.'

I've read the last couple pages of the thread.  I'm surprised no one has mentioned Witnesses, about the three witnesses to the Book of Mormon.  For anyone who may not be "in the know," when Joseph Smith first got the metal plates ("ha[ving] the appearance of gold") from which the record we now know as the Book of Mormon was translated, he was commanded to not show them to anyone else unless and until he was commanded to do otherwise.  Eventually, he received permission for three other witnesses to see the plates, and an angel showed them to the witnesses: Oliver Cowdery, David Whitmer, and Martin Harris.

It's a very human portrayal of the people involved, people who, in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, we tend to lionize (perhaps too much so).  I think one of the main messages of the movie is that, "Yes, they were human.  Yes, they had flaws.  Yes, they made mistakes.  But, still, the Lord was able to use them to accomplish his purposes."  What, you mean there might actually be hope for li'l ol' me, too? :shok: :blink: :huh:  Wow!  Whodathunkit?!  While the film focuses on the experiences of the three witnesses, by nonsupernatural means, eight other witnesses also saw the plates from which the Book of Mormon was translated. Many negative reviews likely have been posted by people who have not seen the movie, or who are not well-disposed to the Church of Jesus Christ, to Latter-day Saints, or to their leaders even if they have seen the movie.

https://witnessesfilm.com/

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt13820428/

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/witnesses_2021

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/danpeterson/2021/06/the-witnesses-of-the-book-of-mormon-and-the-problems-of-eyewitness-testimony.html

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/danpeterson/2021/06/how-is-witnesses-doing-thus-far.html

Edited by Kenngo1969
On 2/20/2021 at 10:56 AM, bluebell said:

Watched The Kissing Booth on Netflix.  It's a teen rom/com that came out a couple of years ago I think.  It's very predictable and while it has some fun actors and moments, it's got some real issues too.  I would not recommend it.

Totally agree.  At the end my daughter and I were "no!" This is not the kind of thing you want to show is ok.  Maybe after therapy.

On 6/17/2021 at 7:39 PM, bsjkki said:

Went and saw In the Heights. I thought I would love it but did not. It's a little slow, too long, and the story was just not tight enough for my attention span. Some of the musical numbers were cute, the cast was super talented but overall it was just, 'meh.'

I debated seeing that today, but then thought it wouldn't be one my husband would like enough. 

So we saw Finding You.  It was cute and sweet.  Made us want to go to Ireland. 

I can't vouch for the first 11 minutes - it started 20 minutes before the website said it did!

On 6/19/2021 at 5:20 AM, Kenngo1969 said:

I've read the last couple pages of the thread.  I'm surprised no one has mentioned Witnesses, about the three witnesses to the Book of Mormon.

I haven't seen it because I have turned into a movie theater snob.

After several years (and much trial and error) I have identified the very best theater, screen, and seat in the entire DFW metroplex, and that is the only place I will go for in-person viewings now.

If a film isn't showing on that screen, or if I can't make it while it is, then I just wait for it to come out at home.

The only place that was screening Witnesses was over in Plano, and I've been to that Cinemark before; it's just meh.

Plus, if I'm being completely honest, I have very little faith in Mormon cinema, so I'm not especially inclined to go seeking it out. Maybe the film will be good. I hope it is. And when it comes out on DVD I'll put it on my list to check out.

2 hours ago, Amulek said:

I haven't seen it because I have turned into a movie theater snob.

After several years (and much trial and error) I have identified the very best theater, screen, and seat in the entire DFW metroplex, and that is the only place I will go for in-person viewings now.

If a film isn't showing on that screen, or if I can't make it while it is, then I just wait for it to come out at home.

The only place that was screening Witnesses was over in Plano, and I've been to that Cinemark before; it's just meh.

Plus, if I'm being completely honest, I have very little faith in Mormon cinema, so I'm not especially inclined to go seeking it out. Maybe the film will be good. I hope it is. And when it comes out on DVD I'll put it on my list to check out.

I've seen Witnesses, now, several times, at Cinemark in Orem.  While I would be happy to get it in some other medium (DVD, probably), Alas!, I'm stuck in the dark ages and would need to get something to play it on.  My television screen, if that's where I end up watching it, isn't bad size, but I have really, really enjoyed watching it in the theater.  (For the record, I am not wont to see m(any) movies more than once: Once I've seen it, generally, my attitude is, "Meh, been there, seen that.")  Witnesses is a notable exception: Today was, I believe, my fifth viewing.

And no, this isn't deserving of the derisive sobriquet "Mormon cinema."  It is a first-rate production.  I'll make you a deal: While I guarantee you that your means are far greater than mine, if you make the trip over to Plano to see it and, afterward, you are left feeling underwhelmed and as though there went two hours of your life you will never get back (not counting, of course, travel time, looking for someplace to park, and so on), I will refund you everything: Ticket price, gas, everything ...  But you'd better hurry.  It's not likely to remain in theaters much longer.

Another thing that has struck me over the course of my various viewings of Witnesses is, Goodness, gracious!  How much do we take for granted?  Now, certainly, if I had had a miraculous encounter with an angel who had shown me a record engraven upon gold plates, I think it would leave quite an impression on my mind and heart, just as the account—and the experience—left an impression on the minds and hearts of the early Saints.

But as Bishop Glenn L. Pace, formerly a counselor in the Presiding Bishopric and later a Seventy, once asked an interlocutor of his who said, "I would've died for the Prophet Joseph Smith!" "Oh, really?  What are you doing for President Gordon B. Hinckley today?"  To analogize that encounter to our current discussion, if I am unwilling to be impressed by the miraculous Book of Mormon that I can pick up and hold in my hands and read, why should anyone think that I would be any more impressed if I were to have a similar experience with the actual plates?

If David Whitmer, at gunpoint, and, therefore, at peril of his life, can tell a ruffian who demanded that he renounce the Book of Mormon (paraphrasing), "If I do that, I will offend God, and I fear offending Him a lot more than I fear offending you," then perhaps it's worth at least a little more of my time and attention. 

Edited by Kenngo1969
10 minutes ago, bluebell said:

Just say no to The Ice Road on Netflix.  I don't care if it's one of the top ten movies on the platform.  Just.  Say.  No.

Same! And that's saying something since Liam is a favorite actor of mine.

On 7/4/2021 at 3:07 PM, bluebell said:

Just say no to The Ice Road on Netflix.  I don't care if it's one of the top ten movies on the platform.  Just.  Say.  No.

Same for The Tomorrow War over on Amazon Prime.

Big let down. 

11 minutes ago, Amulek said:

Same for The Tomorrow War over on Amazon Prime.

Big let down. 

That one was a mess too.  The first half was completely forgettable and the few laughs didn't make up for the mess of a story.  It could have been really good if they had gotten their screenplay act together.

On 7/4/2021 at 2:18 PM, Tacenda said:

Same! And that's saying something since Liam is a favorite actor of mine.

He's been in so many movies lately, and a lot of them have been lackluster.  I'm wondering if he's super in debt or something and just needs the paycheck.  

31 minutes ago, bsjkki said:

I liked The Tomorrow War more than Infinites on Paramount Plus. Both had too little story and too much action but Tomorrow War was much better.

I haven’t heard of Infinities. What’s it about?

On 7/6/2021 at 10:39 AM, bluebell said:

He's been in so many movies lately, and a lot of them have been lackluster.  I'm wondering if he's super in debt or something and just needs the paycheck.  

Maybe he wants to retire and is building up a nest egg. 

What an afternoon-evening!!  Turner Classic Movies had four terrific movies one after another... 1) Peyton Place (1957) Lana Turner/Diane Varsi  2)  Picnic (1957)  Wm Holden/Kim Novak/Cliff Robertson   3)  East of Eden (1955) James Dean/Julie Harris  4) Kings Row (1942) Robt Cummings/Ronald Reagan/Ann Sheridan.  All excellent...

GG

r