Seriously No Politics ×

Last Movie You Watched

altersteve

The last movie that my wife and I watched was Raya and the Last Dragon (rated PG for these reasons) starring Kelly Marie Tran and Awkwafina.

The movie played into the importance of family, forgiveness, and trust. It had a few funny moments (my wife found it funnier than I did)

On 3/18/2021 at 1:24 PM, Meadowchik said:

I watched Sense and Sensibility again yesterday. Oh I love this movie. The music is so good. The performances, too.

My wife has been trying to get me to watch this. So far she hasn't succeeded.

But I have to admit that I'll probably like it. She did, after all, get me to watch the 1995 BBC mini-series of Pride and Prejudice with Colin Firth and Jennifer Ehle, which I enjoyed. And it was actually better than the 2005 film version with Keira Knightly and Matthew Macfadyen. Which I had also liked, despite myself.

The wife also wants me to watch Pride and Prejudice with Zombies. Which I will continue to resist, because.... Zombies. Ugh.

On 3/21/2021 at 6:43 PM, Stargazer said:

But I have to admit that I'll probably like it. She did, after all, get me to watch the 1995 BBC mini-series of Pride and Prejudice with Colin Firth and Jennifer Ehle, which I enjoyed. And it was actually better than the 2005 film version with Keira Knightly and Matthew Macfadyen. Which I had also liked, despite myself.

The wife also wants me to watch Pride and Prejudice with Zombies. Which I will continue to resist, because.... Zombies. Ugh.

It is so good. The cinematography is gorgeous, too.

I have been ill and in my resting have found two more gems this week. An Indian film, "Sir".

And "The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society."

Two very different but clean romances which are much more than romance, with thought-provoking depth, and historical and cultural insights. 

21 hours ago, Meadowchik said:

I have been ill and in my resting have found two more gems this week. An Indian film, "Sir".

And "The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society."

Two very different but clean romances which are much more than romance, with thought-provoking depth, and historical and cultural insights. 

I really liked the Guernsey movie.  It was a bit predictable but that did not lesson it's charm.  Have you watched the 100 Foot Journey or The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel?  They are both really good.  Perfect 'resting and recouping' type movies.

On 3/21/2021 at 12:43 PM, Stargazer said:

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies was actually good!  Not on par with the other movies but solidly entertaining.  And I thoroughly agree with you on the comparison between the BBC Pride and Prejudice and the Keira Knightly one.  Both are good but you cannot top the 6 hour version.

And ditto to Meadowchik on Sense and Sensibility and Emma.  Two thumbs up for both (though my heart will always be with the Paltrow Emma of the 90s and not the new one.  I found that one just o.k.).

1 minute ago, bluebell said:

I really liked the Guernsey movie.  It was a bit predictable but that did not lesson it's charm.  Have you watched the 100 Foot Journey or The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel?  They are both really good.  Perfect 'resting and recouping' type movies.

I quite enjoyed Marigold Hotel, don't remember if I saw 100 foot journey. Tonight the kiddo picks. Dr. Strange. 

On 3/19/2021 at 9:55 AM, latterdaytemplar said:

The last movie that my wife and I watched was Raya and the Last Dragon (rated PG for these reasons) starring Kelly Marie Tran and Awkwafina.

The movie played into the importance of family, forgiveness, and trust. It had a few funny moments (my wife found it funnier than I did)

My 6 year old is dying to see it but I refuse to pay the premium price on Disney.  She'll have to survive until they release it for free.  :lol:

3 minutes ago, Meadowchik said:

I quite enjoyed Marigold Hotel, don't remember if I saw 100 foot journey. Tonight the kiddo picks. Dr. Strange. 

Did you see the sequel to the Marigold Hotel?  I didn't think it was as good as the first but still really good.

1 minute ago, bluebell said:

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies was actually good!  Not on par with the other movies but solidly entertaining.  And I thoroughly agree with you on the comparison between the BBC Pride and Prejudice and the Keira Knightly one.  Both are good but you cannot top the 6 hour version.

And ditto to Meadowchik on Sense and Sensibility and Emma.  Two thumbs up for both (though my heart will always be with the Paltrow Emma of the 90s and not the new one.  I found that one just o.k.).

Have you seen Persuasion, 1995 version? I love that one too. It is the theme of nursing and illness which gets me the most. The sheer difference of helplessness versus modern medicine is heartbreaking and sobering.

6 minutes ago, Meadowchik said:

Have you seen Persuasion, 1995 version? I love that one too. It is the theme of nursing and illness which gets me the most. The sheer difference of helplessness versus modern medicine is heartbreaking and sobering.

Yes, I liked that one too!  I have a degree in history so the whole 'scavenger hunt through time' thing really drew me in.

Have you ever seen The Painted Veil?  It's one of my favorites.  It has Edward Norton and Naomi Watts.  It's a good romantic movie and nursing and illness play a pretty big role in it.

1 hour ago, poptart said:

The Ballad of Buster Scruggs - Cool Clear Water (English Subtitle) - YouTube

Nice modern western.  

BTW anyone know why I'm just seeing the link and not the video?  Whenever I share something like this I just see the link now.  Thanks!

I think if you copy and paste the actual link, instead of using the link feature at the top of your post, it will imbed the video.  Tried it and yep, that works.

On 3/21/2021 at 12:43 PM, Stargazer said:

I also recommend Sense and Sensibility. Jane Austen created great characters and the movie does a good job showing them. The actress Harriet Walter is also in this movie and the more I see her the more I like her. She stars in Belgravia, which is a period piece TV series, that is quite good.

I also prefer the Pride and Prejudice mini-series than the movie.

M.

Edited by Maureen
6 hours ago, bluebell said:

...And ditto to Meadowchik on Sense and Sensibility and Emma.  Two thumbs up for both (though my heart will always be with the Paltrow Emma of the 90s and not the new one.  I found that one just o.k.).

Kate Beckinsale played Emma in a TV movie, which I really liked.

M.

8 hours ago, bluebell said:

The 100 Foot Journey was great... 

GG

14 hours ago, bluebell said:

My 6 year old is dying to see it but I refuse to pay the premium price on Disney.  She'll have to survive until they release it for free.  :lol:

That was originally my position as well. Then my in-laws invited us over to watch it, so I didn't pay a penny for it.

However, tonight we are making them dinner, so I guess, in a round-about way, I am paying for it with French-dip sandwiches. 🤣

3 hours ago, latterdaytemplar said:

That was originally my position as well. Then my in-laws invited us over to watch it, so I didn't pay a penny for it.

However, tonight we are making them dinner, so I guess, in a round-about way, I am paying for it with French-dip sandwiches. 🤣

:lol:

On 3/25/2021 at 10:09 PM, bluebell said:

I bought the viewing rights to Dr. Strange on YouTube. No way would I pay for Disney.

I believe I paid something like $10 for it -- it was last year sometime, and I don't remember any longer.

Edited by Stargazer
Just now, Stargazer said:

I bought the viewing rights to Dr. Strange on YouTube. No way would I pay for Disney.

We pay for Disney + Hulu + ESPN (though no one in the family watches sports-it was a package deal) for $12.99 a month.  I'm fine with that.  Put I'm not going to pay for Disney and then pay $30 dollars on top of that for a new Disney movie.  If it was the regular cost of a rental, maybe, but I'm not buying a movie I haven't even seen.

4 minutes ago, bluebell said:

We pay for Disney + Hulu + ESPN (though no one in the family watches sports-it was a package deal) for $12.99 a month.  I'm fine with that.  Put I'm not going to pay for Disney and then pay $30 dollars on top of that for a new Disney movie.  If it was the regular cost of a rental, maybe, but I'm not buying a movie I haven't even seen.

I edited my reply after you responded, so you didn't see that I think I paid about $10 for Dr. Strange. And YouTube rents the films for about $3, by the way.

I got "Marveled out" after watching Guardians of the Galaxy II, and besides, hadn't watched a number of the films before that. I had only seen half of them. After Avengers: Endgame came out, I decided that I wanted to see it. But it seemed like I needed to see a few of the preceding films in order to keep some continuity. So I bought them on YouTube: Doctor Strange, Spider-Man: Homecoming, Thor: Ragnarok, Avengers: Infinity War, and finally Avengers: Endgame. It was worth it, I guess. 

Out of all them, my favorite is Thor: Ragnarok. Mainly for the humor. And KORG!! :D