Seriously No Politics ×

Last Movie You Watched

altersteve

On 4/28/2020 at 8:02 AM, Garden Girl said:

I watched a movie being shown on Showtime during a  free period titled "Adrift" starring Shaleen ______(?)  that was based on a true story... about a free-spirited girl who worked her way around the world, mostly on boats/marinas.  She meets a fellow from England who has a yacht and they start seeing each other... he runs into old friends (a couple who have to fly home on an emergency and agrees to sail their yacht back to the U.S. (San Diego) for them).  I think they are somewhere near Australia... anyway, it's about a 30-day crossing.  The girl agrees to go with him and they start out.  Everything goes well the first week until they are hit by a huge storm that disables the yacht and leaves them adrift... what follows is their story of trying to survive (he is seriously injured... broken ribs/shattered leg).  They are not near any shipping lanes or flight paths... During another bout of high waves/wind he is washed overboard and lost...she is left on her own, alone and adrift for 41+ days.   Finally the currents have carried her to an area where she sees another ship and she is able to send up flares and is rescued... She continues to this day to love sailing in spite of this experience.  I thought about Rod and Patti Headlee as I watched this movie... the power of the sea can be truly frightening...

GG

We use the SSB/Ham radio to check in daily with the Maritime Net. 14.300mhz We give our position and the weather. 

Edited by rodheadlee

I'm currently watching "The Sound of Music."  I had forgotten what a beautifully done film this was...Musicals are not my favorite because of the tendencies of the characters to break into song just as an important part is unfolding... but the music/lyrics are wonderful... Rogers and Hammerstein... how can you go wrong?

GG

• 5 weeks later...

I just watched a film that has become one of my very favorite films... based on a true story... the Oscar winner for Best Picture for 2019... Green Book... This movie is rated PG-13 but...WARNING... there is profanity prevalent throughout.  But the only time I really cringed a few times was when the Lord's name was used... otherwise, the character of real life Tony Vallelonga was played masterfully by Viggo Mortensen (nominated for Best Actor oscar).  The story centers on real life black jazz pianist Dr. Donald Shirley and his Trio as they embark on a concert tour through the Deep South during Jim Crow days of the early 60's.  Dr. Shirley hires New Yorker Tony (the Lip) as his driver and bodyguard.  Tony is from the Bronx (with Mob ties) who works as a Bouncer at The Copacabana (closing for renovation) so Tony answers Shirley's ad for a driver for the 2-month tour.  Shirley lives in an apartment atop Canegie Hall.    The "Green Book" is a publication especially for blacks to use when travelling, listing hotels/motels and restaurants that allow blacks.   What ensues is the story of events during the tour, the discrimination that Shirley faces, the acclaim his playing receives, and the friendship that develops between Tony and Shirley... a friendship they will share the rest of their lives.   Mahershala Ali plays Dr. Shirley (Oscar Winner for Best Supporting Actor).   Yes, one of my favorites... profanity aside...

GG

I hit a goldmine watching the Netflix documentary, Dolly Parton: Here I Am last night. I really enjoyed it, even more the music I dove into today. I think the doc is only available to the UK at the moment, but here are some that I am enjoying right now if you want to hear a story and maybe cry a cry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWEQDyrbphE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aY0VP91zKNM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pRXSIfTmQI

6 minutes ago, Meadowchik said:

I hit a goldmine watching the Netflix documentary, Dolly Parton: Here I Am last night. I really enjoyed it, even more the music I dove into today. I think the doc is only available to the UK at the moment, but here are some that I am enjoying right now if you want to hear a story and maybe cry a cry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWEQDyrbphE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aY0VP91zKNM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pRXSIfTmQI

Love Dolly Parton, thank you! Have you seen Linda Ronstadt: The Sound of My Voice? I watched it on Netflix, I think. But don't think it's available anymore. 

33 minutes ago, Tacenda said:

Love Dolly Parton, thank you! Have you seen Linda Ronstadt: The Sound of My Voice? I watched it on Netflix, I think. But don't think it's available anymore. 

I have not but will check it out. Thank you Tacenda!

Watched Knives Out last night and it was actually really good, despite the fact that I really don't like murder-mystery books or movies.  It's PG-13 but the language is a bit rough, with lots of minor swear words and 2 or three F-words thrown in, which add nothing to the movie itself (like most swearing in movies).

27 minutes ago, bluebell said:

Watched Knives Out last night and it was actually really good, despite the fact that I really don't like murder-mystery books or movies.  It's PG-13 but the language is a bit rough, with lots of minor swear words and 2 or three F-words thrown in, which add nothing to the movie itself (like most swearing in movies).

Definitely the most wholesome who-dunit I can remember!

I saw again "Flags of our fathers" about the Battle of Iwo Jima, I recently found out a brother I knew in the mission field was in it, I had no idea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. He talked about being a Navy gunner and shared some stories and whatnot. I was tearing up realizing that that this super kindly old brother who always helped us out with stuff, was actually there and survived the whole thing.He was also at the Battle of Okinawa and in the Phillipines and some other battles. I am still dumbstruck

• 3 weeks later...

We watched Dodge City last night, with Errol Flynn and Olivia deHavilland, who passed away last week at the age of 104.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0031235/

I finally watched the remake of Little Women and Emma that came out a few months ago.  I enjoyed both, surprisingly so since I don't usually like change and really like the 90's versions of both movies a lot.  

Specifically I was worried about the new Emma because the previews didn't look that good to me, and the actors are a little odd looking (I didn't not find any of the male leads attractive, especially not Mr. Knightly, which kind of ruins the romance a bit I guess) but it all came together well in the end.

I'm having a field day today... Turner Classic Movies is having a special day featuring the films of Barbara Stanwyck... What an actress!!  From the 40's/50's... a time when movies told stories without the aid of special effects, exotic locations etc etc., just good storytelling and acting talent.  Now showing is Clash by Night... just before was The Two Mrs Carrolls... it's hard to pick a favorite of her many and varied roles, but I lean toward Stella Dallas..

GG

1 hour ago, bluebell said:

I finally watched the remake of Little Women and Emma that came out a few months ago.  I enjoyed both, surprisingly so since I don't usually like change and really like the 90's versions of both movies a lot.  

Specifically I was worried about the new Emma because the previews didn't look that good to me, and the actors are a little odd looking (I didn't not find any of the male leads attractive, especially not Mr. Knightly, which kind of ruins the romance a bit I guess) but it all came together well in the end.

I really don't think the recent versions can quite compare to the original starring June Allyson, Janet Leigh, Eliz Taylor and Margaret O'Brien, with Peter Lawford as Laurie, and Mary Astor as Marmie.  Truly a classic...  a simple story but filled with rich portrayals of the March family... and for Jo, the professor...

GG 

6 hours ago, Garden Girl said:

I'm having a field day today... Turner Classic Movies is having a special day featuring the films of Barbara Stanwyck... What an actress!!  From the 40's/50's... a time when movies told stories without the aid of special effects, exotic locations etc etc., just good storytelling and acting talent.  Now showing is Clash by Night... just before was The Two Mrs Carrolls... it's hard to pick a favorite of her many and varied roles, but I lean toward Stella Dallas..

GG

One of my favorites is "Stella Dallas" in the old movie category!!

I'm watching "Peyton Place"...  Today Turner Classic Movies is featuring the films of Lana Turner.  This one from 1957, based on the very popular, and controversial, book by Grace Metalious.  But the screenwriters were able to make a script that got past the sensors while deftly handling the topics from the book... Beautifully filmed and acted, albeit soap opera-like.  Also starring Diane Varsi, Hope Lange, Lloyd Nolan, and Arthur Kennedy.  In 1957, I was a senior in high school and many of us secretly read the book.  I can remember that like it was yesterday, not 63 years ago...

The next movie after this will be another favorite starring Ms. Turner... also of a soap opera quality... from 1958, "Madame X"   But also beautifully filmed and acted... with John Forsyth, Constance Bennett, and Ricardo Maltaban... a tragic story of a mother trying to protect her upper-class son from her own questionable behavior and past.

GG

Edited by Garden Girl

I finished the Netflix miniseries Waco yesterday and highly recommend it.  The acting is amazing and the story is compelling, and heart wrenching, especially from a mother's perspective.  It will change the way you look at the FBI and the ATF.

And unlike most shows right now, there was very little swearing (no F words), no nudity, and the one sex scene (between spouses) was not explicit and very short. 

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday I watched two movies that I had ordered for my film library.... 1) The Apartment starring Jack Lemmon and Shirley MacLaine... and 2) Some Like It Hot starring Jack Lemmon, Tony Curtis. and Marilyn Monroe... good, fun comedies...

GG

On 8/12/2020 at 8:40 PM, Garden Girl said:

...The next movie after this will be another favorite starring Ms. Turner... also of a soap opera quality... from 1958, "Madame X"   But also beautifully filmed and acted... with John Forsyth, Constance Bennett, and Ricardo Maltaban... a tragic story of a mother trying to protect her upper-class son from her own questionable behavior and past...

I remembering watching Madame X as a child, feeling sorry for the little boy that his mom had to leave him. I watched it again as an adult a few years ago and realized my memories of it were not quite correct. It was great to watch it again, but seeing it in a different light as an adult.

It's the same with The Miracle Worker (Anne Brancroft and Patty Duke). As a child I found the mother annoying but as an adult and a mother I really feel for the mother.

M.

For those who enjoyed Karate Kid as a kid, Netflix just picked up Cobra Kai, which is a series that follows the "bad guy" Johnny Lawrence as a middle aged guy trying to put his life back together again after he realizes that he never moved on from his loss to Daniel Laruso (who also plays a prominent part in the series).  It has the original two actors and some great kid actors too.

It's a really fun show, serious but with some laughs.  Johnny is a huge jerk (as he slowly moves towards redemption) but you just can't help but root for him.  Plus, it's family friendly for older kids with a TV-14 rating.

42 minutes ago, bluebell said:

has the original two actors

That is cool.  It feels more sincere somehow, less purely exploitative though it could be those two actors really needed some income and came up with the idea, lol. 

15 minutes ago, Calm said:

That is cool.  It feels more sincere somehow, less purely exploitative though it could be those two actors really needed some income and came up with the idea, lol. 

The show really does feel sincere and I think that's a lot of it's appeal.  They even end up at some of the original locations from the movie.

Watched the "The Hiding Place", on Amazon Prime, and I think it's on Netflix. Very good movie, it's older, made in 1975, and is about a family that helped hide Jewish people. And then they were caught and locked up. It concentrates on two sisters that were sent to a work camp and all that they went through. One of the parts was played by Julie Harris, I've always liked her.