Seriously No Politics ×

Last Movie You Watched

altersteve

Finally saw Act of Valor. I've been wanting to see it for awhile, and I'm glad I did. It's an action war film featuring actual active duty Navy SEALs, and it's absolutely amazing. The acting and storyline are "ehh" but the action sequences are PHENOMENAL. Probably the best action I've ever seen. Those who trash the movie for it's acting and plot are, I feel, missing the point. It's not meant to tell a good story, it's meant to showcase these heroes and what they do for a living. And it works. The ending hit me harder than almost any other movie has, and I'll admit it -- I cried. It really instills a sense of patriotism in you; a sense of not just being grateful to our military, but being proud of them. Absolutely powerful.

If you're okay with very strong, graphic violence and some language, then please, go see this movie.

Lady in Black. I did not feel it was particularly scary (it is portrayed to be such), but it is terribly sad. I still don't understanding the ending. Her purpose in continuing seems more like a cheap trick to appeal to fright, but it does not fit with the story. I seldom go to this type of movie, but I do enjoy England period pieces.

• 3 months later...

Lady in Black. I did not feel it was particularly scary (it is portrayed to be such), but it is terribly sad. I still don't understanding the ending. Her purpose in continuing seems more like a cheap trick to appeal to fright, but it does not fit with the story. I seldom go to this type of movie, but I do enjoy England period pieces.

Did you mean The Woman in Black? I enjoyed that movie. I thought the ending was interesting, and I thought it was awesome after I thought about it for awhile.

I've seen a lot of movies since I posted in this thread last but the last one I saw was The Avengers (for the second time). The films leading up to it are Iron Man, Iron Man 2, The Incredible Hulk, Thor, and Captain America and features the main characters from all of them: in the movie, Iron Man, Captain America, the Hulk, and Thor are recruited by a secret government agency to save the world from Thor's adoptive brother Loki, who plans to enslave the world and launch an alien invasion. There's lots of action, as you'd expect, but there's also plenty of heart and humor. I laughed aloud several times during the film, even the second time I saw it. The acting is also fantastic -- Robert Downey Jr. is as great as ever and Mark Ruffalo (who portrayed the Hulk, replacing Edward Norton from the previous Hulk film) knocked it out of the park.

Probably one of the best superhero movies I've ever seen, and easily the best movie of 2012 so far. It sets the standard for superhero films for sure, along with The Dark Knight, Spider-Man 2, Iron Man, and Superman. If you decide to take your kids to see it, you shouldn't find anything too bad in it, except that the violence is a little intense, but not in a frightening way. There's also brief nudity (not graphic or sexual whatsoever) and some mild language.

(I'd recommend watching the aforementioned films before you watch this to get some background on the characters, but that's not required.)

I've also seen Battleship, Men in Black 3, The Pirates! Band of Misfits, 21 Jump Street, and Dark Shadows recently and I look forward to seeing Snow White and the Huntsman, which I've heard is excellent.

Edited by altersteve

The Help- Awesome movie in the sense that it brings to light, how awful racism or any other "ism" is.

Synopsis

"At the dawn of the civil rights movement, three Mississippi women are about to take one extraordinary step. Twenty-two-year-old Skeeter has just returned home after graduating from Ole Miss and her mother won't be happy till she finds a husband. Aibileen, a wise African-American maid and caretaker suffers after the loss of her own child. And Minny, Aibileen's sassy best friend, struggles to find and hold a job. Seemingly as different from one another as can be, these women will nonetheless come together for a clandestine project that will put them all at risk." quoted from http://movies.yahoo....ovie/the-help/#

[media=]

Edited by followerofemmanuel

Yes, that was a great movie. Saw that in the theater.

The Ghost and Mrs. Muir. An oldie but a goodie with Gene Tierney, and Rex Harrison.

TSS!! That is one of my all time favorites.! I love Gull Cottage and would love to live in such an area. Though I'm only 1/2 block to the beach, I don't have an ocean view, except if I stand at the end of my driveway and look toward the ocean. In my mind I call my little home Gull Cottage or Winsome Cottage...

I thought Tierney and Harrison did excellent jobs in their roles, particularly Harrison as the ghost.

from the beach on a beautiful morning with the sun dancing on the emerald leaves... was it just a few weeks ago that the trees stood stark and black against the gray sky...

GG

The last movie I saw in a theatre? I took some time off of work and went to see "The Three Stooges". Yuck Yuck Yuck

It was everything you would expect from the Three Stooges and I loved every minute of it (and laughed pretty hard too):D

Edited by Thunderfire

The last movie I saw in a theatre? I took some time off of work and went to see "The Three Stooges". Yuck Yuck Yuck

It was everything you would expect from the Three Stooges and I loved every minute of it (and laughed pretty hard too):D

Did you spot Kirby Heyborne of "The Singles Ward" and "The RM" fame? I'm told he had a pretty important role in that film.

Did you spot Kirby Heyborne of "The Singles Ward" and "The RM" fame? I'm told he had a pretty important role in that film.

He doesn't star in it, but he does have a supporting role. I thought the movie was funny, but I probably won't see it again.

Watched Snow White and the huntsman yesterday. I'd rate it as Good. Definitely not an under 13 movie so leave the kidlets at home. The evil queen is really EVIL.

I saw that as well. Though my friend and I were just making Thor and Twilight references the whole time LOL.

Edited by altersteve

I usually watch a movie a day.. Yesterday, I watched, "Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close ". Very good and touching. Today was "The Woman in Black". Nice gothic, but lacking. Two days ago, "War Horse". Wow!

My 5 year old and 9 year old daughters loved dogs, so I got that movie for them. I turned it on and came back into the room an hour later and they were just bawling. I've never seen such huge tears running down their cheeks. I sat down and watched the end of the movie, and darned if I wasn't crying with them after five minutes.

As one person said on IMDB: "YOU WILL CRY!"

[media=]

I lived near Shibuya where the actual events transpired and it is truly inspiring. I wish some of my human associates were as loyal.

Edited by Ron Beron

Rewatched Rashomon and Seven Samurai. I reread "In the Grove" which lead me to rewatch Rashomon, then because Kurosawa is addicting, couldn't leave it at just that movie.

I met Toshiro Mifune once and he is not at all like his on stage persona. He is only about 5'5" with very wide prominent shoulders. He was very good at kenjutsu or "art of the sword" plus a real friendly guy.

Have you seen "Ran" or "Dreams"?

Saw "War Horse" on DVD. That was really a great movie!

I watched Prometheus last night. Wow... not sure where to start with this one. I enjoyed it very much but it was NOT what I was expecting at all. I'll have to watch it again.

I met Toshiro Mifune once and he is not at all like his on stage persona. He is only about 5'5" with very wide prominent shoulders. He was very good at kenjutsu or "art of the sword" plus a real friendly guy.

That is so cool. How did that happen? In Rashomon you do get the impression that Mifune isn't that large. More than makes upfor it with his onscreen presence. His ability to speak volumes with just a shrug of the shoulders, as in Yojimbo, still impresses me. You've got to wonder if his ability to bring sympathy and depth to portrayals of outsiders wasn't due in large part to his baptist upbringing

Have you seen "Ran" or "Dreams"?

I've seen Ran. I particularly remember the scenes with the jester in front of the wooden barricade. Very interesting compostion and use of colours. I haven't seen Dreams.

That is so cool. How did that happen? In Rashomon you do get the impression that Mifune isn't that large. More than makes upfor it with his onscreen presence. His ability to speak volumes with just a shrug of the shoulders, as in Yojimbo, still impresses me. You've got to wonder if his ability to bring sympathy and depth to portrayals of outsiders wasn't due in large part to his baptist upbringing

I was working in LA at a Japanese bookstore and he came in during Nisei (Japanese-American) Week in Little Tokyo. He came in and spoke with customers, staff, and basically pressed the flesh with all of us. His English was terrible, which was probably why he was always dubbed in the movies. His physique showed that he was a powerful swordsman.

I've seen Ran. I particularly remember the scenes with the jester in front of the wooden barricade. Very interesting compostion and use of colours. I haven't seen Dreams.

It is interesting that note the contrasts and colors since Kurosawa was almost blind when he made the film. The battle scenes were extraordinary as was the storyline which was based on King Lear. I, too, enjoyed the presence of the narrator/jester. He set the stage for the other actors.

Do yourself and see Dreams. It was Kurosawa's last film and encompassed all his life feelings about war, ecology, and youth.

Rewatched Rashomon and Seven Samurai. I reread "In the Grove" which lead me to rewatch Rashomon, then because Kurosawa is addicting, couldn't leave it at just that movie.

What was it you (or your friend) said? Kurosawa: the greatest Western director ever.

Last year, I actually used Ikiru as the basis for a sacrament talk on service.

Update. I watched the original Footloose last night with my oldest. I hadn't seen that movie in 20+ years. It doesn't age well and what I thought was awesome in the 1980's now seems corny and cheesy to the extreme. Oh well, youth is wasted on the young.

Um, I beg to differ.

is obviously beyond cool.

I was working in LA at a Japanese bookstore and he came in during Nisei (Japanese-American) Week in Little Tokyo. He came in and spoke with customers, staff, and basically pressed the flesh with all of us. His English was terrible, which was probably why he was always dubbed in the movies. His physique showed that he was a powerful swordsman.

It is interesting that note the contrasts and colors since Kurosawa was almost blind when he made the film. The battle scenes were extraordinary as was the storyline which was based on King Lear. I, too, enjoyed the presence of the narrator/jester. He set the stage for the other actors.

Do yourself and see Dreams. It was Kurosawa's last film and encompassed all his life feelings about war, ecology, and youth.

I loved Kurosawa's versions of Shakespeare. I personally think he improved the ending of Macbeth in Throne of Blood.

Kurosawa movies I've seen:

Ran

Yojimbo

Rashomon

The Hidden Fortress

Seven Samurai

Ikiru

Stray Dog

Throne of Blood

Incredible, powerful stuff.

If any of you are inclined to be interested in the struggle for freedom to worship that occurred less than a century ago in Mexico, you may find The Greater Glory to be to your taste. I had some minor quibbles with an otherwise inspiring movie. One of these was cleared up by staying for the credits which explains more of this largely untold history.

The archvillain of the story is played supremely by an actor whose name I think is Ruben Blades. Andy Garcia also excels as an agnostic general who led the Catholic uprising not as a crusader for religion, but as matter of political principle. The historical events in Mexico were chronologically parallel with what was happening at the time in Russia, Portugal, and Spain in the years before and after the Bolshevik Revolution. They were all motivated by the same ideology. I won't give away the story, because I enjoyed the suspense of wondering how things would unfold for the characters involved. This is the story of Mexican patriots, torn by questions as to how to morally resist governments hostile to religion.

Edited by 3DOP

If any of you are inclined to be interested in the struggle for freedom to worship that occurred less than a century ago in Mexico, you may find The Greater Glory to be to your taste. I had some minor quibbles with an otherwise inspiring movie. One of these was cleared up by staying for the credits which explains more of this largely untold history.

The archvillain of the story is played supremely by an actor whose name I think is Ruben Blades. Andy Garcia also excels as an agnostic general who led the Catholic uprising not as a crusader for religion, but as matter of political principle. The historical events in Mexico were chronologically parallel with what was happening at the time in Russia, Portugal, and Spain in the years before and after the Bolshevik Revolution. They were all motivated by the same ideology. I won't give away the story, because I enjoyed the suspense of wondering how things would unfold for the characters involved. This is the story of Mexican patriots, torn by questions as to how to morally resist governments hostile to religion.

As far as books go, Graham Greene is stunning.