Seriously No Politics ×

White Or Wheat?

Best were the Semmel rolls they used in Austria...

Don't know about Cinnamon, though. While D&C 27 states "it mattereth not what ye shall eat or what ye shall drink when ye partake of the Sacrament, if it so be that ye do it with an eye single to my glory" if there were no other bread available than a Cinnamon bread, it would be acceptable, but just to use it "for the fun of it" might be doing it for a reason other than for "an eye single to my glory"

Had a similar discussion as Deacon or Teacher as to whether we could use grape juice or something else, since it mattereth not, but was taught by a wise leader that since we were doing it just because we could, we needed to look closer at our motives.

Best were the Semmel rolls they used in Austria...

Don't know about Cinnamon, though. While D&C 27 states "it mattereth not what ye shall eat or what ye shall drink when ye partake of the Sacrament, if it so be that ye do it with an eye single to my glory" if there were no other bread available than a Cinnamon bread, it would be acceptable, but just to use it "for the fun of it" might be doing it for a reason other than for "an eye single to my glory"

Had a similar discussion as Deacon or Teacher as to whether we could use grape juice or something else, since it mattereth not, but was taught by a wise leader that since we were doing it just because we could, we needed to look closer at our motives.

Very true. Sometimes the simpliest and most modest of symbols used is more pleasing to God than getting all fancy. After all, church isn't a TV show called Pimp Your Ordinance. Less is more.

Now as for white vs wheat, well I know some see symbolic value in white bread only, while others say that wheat is healthier. I think arguing about what you use as Sacrament kind of detracts from it. I don't think the bread that the Savior used was Wonder Bread, but if Wonder was what you could get, then that's what you use.

Personally I prefer wheat but the symbolism is the most important. I do wish we still used wine as the Church did up until prohibition but i suppose it would be cost prohibitive now a day.

Which church are you referring to?

The LDS Church has used water for the sacrament since 1830 http://lds.org/scriptures/dc-testament/dc/27.1-2?lang=eng#1-2

Here is an excerpt

So why are Mormons today teetotalers, when their pioneer ancestors weren't? The fact that early Latter-day Saints regarded the Word of Wisdom differently than Mormons do today isn't evidence of hypocrisy but of historical change. Here are some reasons:
  • It allied Mormons with the temperance movement. In the early twentieth century, American culture began examining food and health issues more strictly, with alcohol being a particular concern. The LDS Church was in favor of the temperance measures of the day and began substituting water for wine in sacrament meetings in July 1906. Fifteen years later, the Church made strict adherence to the Word of Wisdom a requirement for temple admittance, with no exceptions.
  • Young encouraged some early Latter-day Saints to begin vineyards in Utah, sending one group of Swiss immigrants to southern Utah to start the Dixie Wine Mission. Their vineyards were very successful, and they sold wine all over the Western United States in the late nineteenth century. Young had no tolerance for drunkenness, vulgar behavior, or the domestic violence that sometimes resulted from alcohol abuse, but he and other Latter-day Saints in the late nineteenth century did permit a small intake of wine or Danish beer.