Seriously No Politics ×

Was Mr. Rogers Anti Mormon?

Hello all, I hope everyone had a great conference weekend! I was thinking the other day of a conversation my old roommate and I had a while ago about Mr. Rogers (as in Mr. Rogers of PBS fame). According to my roomie, Mr. Rogers was a fiery anti Mormon and despised the church and preached against it. I really suspect this is bunk since I haven't found any thing to support that. I also can't picture Mr. Rogers putting anyone down :unknw: Nonetheless I have heard it from my roommate and an old mission companion, so I was wondering if anyone has heard similar things. I know he was a minister of the Presbyterian faith and would have some disagreements with us but I heard he was quite vocal about us.

http://www.snopes.com/radiotv/tv/mrrogers.asp Wow. There are some ugly one's in there.

After some quick scans of the interwebz tubes I have found alternately that Fred Rogers was an anti-Mormon and a Mormon. Both were debunked for lack of evidence.

Some well meaning temple patron did work for a Fred Rogers of about his vintage (one only hopes it was a direct descendent or someone who had permission).

Thanks all, that's what I thought. Mr. Rogers and I actually have quite an interesting point of intersection. He died on my birthday, which is ironic because it was my 18th birthday. So the day I became a legal adult a childhood icon died. talk about irony! :P

Mr. Rogers projected an air of genuine, unwavering, almost saintly pure-hearted decency. But when you look deeper, at the person behind the image ... that's exactly what you find there, too. He's exactly what he appears to be.

But what about that Corny Cornelius guy at the "Rocking Chair Factory" surely that was a cover for an operation? Come on, I wasn't fooled for a minute, nobody can fit a "rocking chair factory" into the side of tree, especially when you got an owl like X living next door.

I think he and Lady Elaine Fairchilde were in cahoots with Handyman Negri to do something rather sinister. IIRC it had something to do with Trolley, a dirty bomb, some C4 and a special package to be delivered by Mr. McFeeley (though McFeeley was just a dupe and had no knowledge of the plot).

X the owl was the real mastermind of it all though. Fortunately, they retired the show before their sinister operation they had codenamed "The land of make Kaboom" could come to fruition.

eidt add..

The plot was an attempt to usurp King Friday's control and bring Prince Tuesday into power.

Edited by Mudcat

Lol erichard... actually it's interesting... I find such signs more funny than insulting =D... which probably stinks for those who hold them. I guess I have a warped sense of humor XD.

Edited by TAO

In fairness he seems "anti-everthing he can fit on a posterboard."

Lets see he's got Mesa, Racists (I can agree with that), Mormons, Nazis (I can get on board with that too), KKK Republicans (ironically teh KKK is a Democratic Party institution from the 1800s), KTAR (undecided - do they play easy listening?), FOX news (too trendy to hate them right now) and Gutters (I hate cleaning them but they do a good job of keeping my house dry).

He also seems "anti-razer", "anti-orthodontist", "anti-glasses frames made since 1985" and "anti-ball cap that fits".

Amen! (says the president of the secret J Golden Kimball fan club)

OOh, there's a secret club for that? Can I join? Other than my cherubim branch of the Danites, we don't get much of the cool stuff out here.

Hello all, I hope everyone had a great conference weekend! I was thinking the other day of a conversation my old roommate and I had a while ago about Mr. Rogers (as in Mr. Rogers of PBS fame). According to my roomie, Mr. Rogers was a fiery anti Mormon and despised the church and preached against it. I really suspect this is bunk since I haven't found any thing to support that. I also can't picture Mr. Rogers putting anyone down :unknw: Nonetheless I have heard it from my roommate and an old mission companion, so I was wondering if anyone has heard similar things. I know he was a minister of the Presbyterian faith and would have some disagreements with us but I heard he was quite vocal about us.

> On another note, there was this wimpy little man

> (who passed away) on PBS, gentle and quiet. Mr. Rogers is

> another of those you would least suspect of being anything

> but what he now portrays to our youth.

> But Mr. Rogers was a U.S. Navy Seal, combat-proven in

> Vietnam with over twenty-five confirmed kills to his name.

> He wore a long-sleeved sweater on TV, to cover the many

> tattoos on his forearm and biceps.

> He was a master in small arms and hand-to-hand combat,

> able to disarm or kill in a heartbeat

>

>

> After the war Mr. Rogers became an ordained Presbyterian minister

> and therefore a pacifist. Vowing to never harm another human and

> also dedicating the rest of his life to trying to help lead children on

> the right path in life... He hid away the tattoos and his past life

> and won our hearts with his quiet wit and charm..

>

> America's real heroes don't flaunt what they did; they quietly go

> about their day-to-day lives, doing what they do best.

> They earned our respect and the freedoms that we all enjoy.

> Look around and see if you can find one of those

> heroes in your midst.

> Often, they are the ones you'd least suspect, but would most like

> to have on your side if anything ever happened.

>

> Take the time to thank anyone that has fought for our freedom.

> With encouragement they could be the next Captain Kangaroo

or Mr. Rogers..

> On another note, there was this wimpy little man

> (who passed away) on PBS, gentle and quiet. Mr. Rogers is

> another of those you would least suspect of being anything

> but what he now portrays to our youth.

> But Mr. Rogers was a U.S. Navy Seal, combat-proven in

> Vietnam with over twenty-five confirmed kills to his name.

> He wore a long-sleeved sweater on TV, to cover the many

> tattoos on his forearm and biceps.

> He was a master in small arms and hand-to-hand combat,

> able to disarm or kill in a heartbeat

>

>

> After the war Mr. Rogers became an ordained Presbyterian minister

> and therefore a pacifist. Vowing to never harm another human and

> also dedicating the rest of his life to trying to help lead children on

> the right path in life... He hid away the tattoos and his past life

> and won our hearts with his quiet wit and charm..

>

> America's real heroes don't flaunt what they did; they quietly go

> about their day-to-day lives, doing what they do best.

> They earned our respect and the freedoms that we all enjoy.

> Look around and see if you can find one of those

> heroes in your midst.

> Often, they are the ones you'd least suspect, but would most like

> to have on your side if anything ever happened.

>

> Take the time to thank anyone that has fought for our freedom.

> With encouragement they could be the next Captain Kangaroo

or Mr. Rogers..

This is a hilarious urban legend too that I heard back when I was in elementary school. It left out the part where he was a ruthless special forces sniper.

Found on the net that according to an "FMCoug" who severed a Mission in Pittsburgh where Mr. Rogers was based, that Rogers had a "Christian" radio show which had anti-mormon themes and Rogers was a big anti-mormon. FMCoug demonstrates strong contempt for Rogers, but whether that contempt stems from him actually being anti-mormon or him just not liking Rogers is a question. Thus, reliability of this testimony could be either way still.