Old Institute Director

How would I go about finding out what happened to the Institute director at the UofIdaho about 1970? I just got to wondering lately. He went to BYU to help with the Church Educational system but after that I dont know anything. Of course his name was William Nelson so that isnt a good name to google. lol.

Maybe its to do with getting older but I remember the teachers who had so much effect in my life. Bro. Gail Oakey and Bishop Nelson are two that I owe so much to.

Edited by annewandering

He had an office at BYU which I know because I went to visit him there. He did not teach at that time because I remember thinking it was sad since he was such a great teacher. I do not know if William O. is the right man. It doesnt sound right. Did you find a biography or a photo of him?

I have heard countless people testify to lasting impact from seminary and insitute teachers. Most recently, our former young women's president, who has overcome a lot of adversity and life experience, has told our family at length about a Brother Reed who was her seminary teacher when she was in high school. Our families talk deep doctrine a lot over dinner, and it is obvious what an impact Brother Reed had and continues to have on her. Even when we have polite disagreements with Brother Reed's take on speculative doctrinal questions (which default to her take), I am impressed with the impact he left on her. His impact is a good one to have, and it has seen her through to where she needed to be in her life.

I hope seminary and institute teachers get glimpses sometimes of how influential and impactful they are ---- it's a wonderful and scary prospect, and almost all of them do a wonderful job of it.

I have heard countless people testify to lasting impact from seminary and insitute teachers. Most recently, our former young women's president, who has overcome a lot of adversity and life experience, has told our family at length about a Brother Reed who was her seminary teacher when she was in high school. Our families talk deep doctrine a lot over dinner, and it is obvious what an impact Brother Reed had and continues to have on her. Even when we have polite disagreements with Brother Reed's take on speculative doctrinal questions (which default to her take), I am impressed with the impact he left on her. His impact is a good one to have, and it has seen her through to where she needed to be in her life.

I hope seminary and institute teachers get glimpses sometimes of how influential and impactful they are ---- it's a wonderful and scary prospect, and almost all of them do a wonderful job of it.

I am astounded how much more I know about the church than people who have not taken seminary or institute classes. Now no way am I a scholar but I have always been so grateful for what they taught me. Never in my life have I ever been able to even try excuse my actions by saying I didnt know better either. If a person didnt have that chance then its time to take some classes now. Its never too late. :D