Seriously No Politics ×

Why Didn'T President Monson Speak First?

seashell

So, ordinarily, the Prophet is the opening speaker for conference. Today, President Monson spoke after other speakers. He opened his remarks with a jolly, "hello" which makes me think that perhaps he came in late.

Does anyone know the whole story?

I have never seen a Prophet speak in the middle of the session either. It struck me as odd but he seemed quite cheerful :D

Deborah where did you find that info? I was looking around and cant find it. :D

Edited by annewandering

The first session for me was priesthood session. I noticed Monson's speech was slurred and it took me a couple of minutes to be able to follow him. It was almost like his dentures were loose but they weren't. He's always had peculiar sh and ch sounds but they were really amplified today. He was still quite mentally lucid and more animated than I've seen him.

Anyone else notice this?

The first session for me was priesthood session. I noticed Monson's speech was slurred and it took me a couple of minutes to be able to follow him. It was almost like his dentures were loose but they weren't. He's always had peculiar sh and ch sounds but they were really amplified today. He was still quite mentally lucid and more animated than I've seen him.

Anyone else notice this?

he certaintly seemed laid back and less stuffy then some others-then again he has street cred!

Sure but the slurred speech had me a little worried for him. Was it just my imagination?

I noticed it but I don't know anything about dentures to say one way or another-I wouldn't mind knowing why he was late! maybe he got a puncture?

Edited by Duncan

I don't recall that the prophet most always speaks first... more likely, he speaks last as I recall.

GG

For every conference I actually remember (from the later 90s until now) it has gone as follows:

President speaks four times: 1st speaker in Saturday morning session, last speaker in priesthood session, last speaker in Sunday morning session, last speaker in Sunday afternoon session.

1st and 2nd counselor each speak twice: Both speak in the priesthood session, one speaks in Saturday morning session and one speaks in Sunday morning session.

Each member of the Twelve speaks once.

I was very surprised when President Monson didn't open the 1st session and instead spoke after the choir and congregation hymn.

According to ksl, church security stood behind him while he talked, it is likely one of them is the one who 'on him like a hawk'.

I wonder if there was some excitement of a sort, heightened adrenalin could account for both the increased animation and any slurring.

If anything significant happened, it will likely be reported though.

Sure but the slurred speech had me a little worried for him. Was it just my imagination?

I noticed it but I don't know anything about dentures to say one way or another-

Seemed much better today

I wouldn't mind knowing why he was late! maybe he got a puncture?

From the American perspective, since we say flat or flat tire here, do you play Mille Bornes? That's a fun game.

According to ksl, church security stood behind him while he talked, it is likely one of them is the one who 'on him like a hawk'. I wonder if there was some excitement of a sort, heightened adrenalin could account for both the increased animation and any slurring. If anything significant happened, it will likely be reported though.

It struck me hoe intently he looked off to the sides a few times in his closing remarks. I think there may have been a threat made.

I thought he looked thin and worn, though still his happy positive self. I hope he is ok.

...and the answer is...

He had a 'bad' night Friday night, not much rest. Security was making sure he didn't keel over. That's the rumor *I* heard.

HiJolly

...and the answer is...

He had a 'bad' night Friday night, not much rest. Security was making sure he didn't keel over. That's the rumor *I* heard.

HiJolly

I wonder if he spent the night in the hospital with his wife. Apparently she isn't doing well again.