Seriously No Politics ×

Do You Text, Im, Tweet While Attending Any Church Meetings For Any Reason?

RegularMormon

Texting/Tweeting at Church Poll  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Do you text, Tweet, email while attending church meetings? (humor)

• Sure! Why not?
    • No! That's sacrilegious!
    • Only when a teacher doesn't show up, I'll text to find out where he/she is at.
    • Just during General Conference, I like to tweet the highlights as they happen.
    • What is Tweet?

I no understanding whatsoever for anyone to be on their cell phone, computer or anything else while in church, in their car, in any meetings, in any type of class, in the bathroom, in their bedroom, livingroom, dining room, home, office, bus stop, bank, restaurant, fast food outlet, or any other place where humans dwell or may interact with one another.

Here is a giant clue; no one cares enough about your daily life and there is no need to update anyone as to your personal activity. Life should be lived with other humans without any form of apparatus to filter communication.

Storm, but the church has went to great lengths to make the scriptures, conference reports, hymns, magazine issues, lesson manuals, on and on and on available for download to these electronic devises. In my mind if they have went to the effort and expense to give us these resources we should take advantage of them. I know my load is much lighter now not carrying a scripture case and manuals. That's ONE reason to be on my smart phone during any church meeting.

Edited by RegularMormon

Storm, but the church has went to great lengths to make the scriptures, conference reports, hymns, magazine issues, lesson manuals, on and on and on available for download to these electronic devises. In my mind if they have went to the effort and expense to give us these resources we should take advantage of them. I know my load is much lighter now not carrying a scripture case and manuals. That's ONE reason to be on my smart phone during any church meeting.

I have no problem with these devices being used for such purposes. It is when they are abused that they become a problem.

Edited by Storm Rider

I don't have any of that stuff, and I hardly ever see anyone using it in Church. Their is a reminder announced over the pulpit to turn off your cell phones because you don't want "Funkytown" going off during anything!

Edited by Duncan

I guess the church feels its okay during General Conference? Or maybe between breaks? We shall see!!!! lol

Tweet from their Newsroom Twitter page....

LDSNewsroom LDSNewsroom

LDSNewsroom will be tweeting with the #ldsconf hashtag during the 181st Semiannual General Conference #LDS #Mormon

Tou mean tweet is not what tweety bird does. :crazy:

I don't even know how to tweet! I did text once during Sacrament meeting because I had forgotten to invite my son to Sunday dinner. Just as I was texting him, the speaker started talking about how rude it is to text during church. :P It was pretty funny.

During GC when a speaker said something about putting down phones and not text messaging, I looked over at our Exec Sec who was banging away on his black berry. He children are largely inactive and he maintains a good communication with them.

I used to text and call friends during sacrement, I did this just to make sure their ringers were off.

Nothing irks me more than to be sitting in Sac Mtg and hearing someone's phone start playing... and keep playing while they fumble in their purse, finally find it, and put it to their ear...Grrrr. If a person has to have their phone on because of a possible emergency situation, then they should wear it on their waist and set it for vibrate.

What really got me was having to remind people in the temple(!) to be sure and turn off their phones, otherwise they would be going off in the lockers. Imagine several phones going off in lockers. It happened... hence, the necessity of reminding everyone to turn them off.

GG

I think they're annoying for the most part, but it did come in very handy when my friend passed away and his daughter spoke for over 15 minutes. Someone texted her, "Amen!" and she didn't realize she had the volume turned all the way up. He had 9 kids and there were still many speakers to go, plus it started 30 minutes late because the family was waiting for her. Including the time spent waiting for the funeral to start, it was a little over two hours long.

My mom's home teacher was checking his texts while visiting her and she blurted out, "That is rude!" I wouldn't mind them so much if people wouldn't take them to the dinner table. It becomes such an interruption when people feel like they have to check their phones constantly. I don't have a cell phone, which is the perfect excuse for my kids not to have them either. I would rather they invite their friends over to visit. I think I'll have a "Check your cell phone at the door" rule.

What an odd post!

I [have] no understanding whatsoever for anyone to be on their cell phone, computer or anything else while in church, in their car, in any meetings, in any type of class, in the bathroom, in their bedroom, livingroom, dining room, home, office, bus stop, bank, restaurant, fast food outlet, or any other place where humans dwell or may interact with one another.

You're kidding, right? You've just got done excluding pretty much anyplace whatsoever from being a place where one might use "any form of apparatus to filter communication". Because there isn't a location upon the face of the earth where humans might not interact. So.... according to you people can't use their computer in their home? Or in their office? If so, I am highly curious as to where you were when you posted this little note. In low-earth orbit, perhaps?

Here is a giant clue; no one cares enough about your daily life and there is no need to update anyone as to your personal activity. Life should be lived with other humans without any form of apparatus to filter communication.

That's an interesting assertion: "...no one cares enough about your daily life and there is no need to update anyone as to your personal activity."

Earth to Storm Rider (possibly in low-earth orbit): there aren't millions of people tweeting to even more millions of people at this moment because those people "following" them are not interested in their daily lives. If nobody "followed" all those tweeters, then they wouldn't be tweeting.

Perhaps there are some folks whose lives are so uninteresting that nobody'd want to hear about it. The rest of the world isn't necessarily that boring, evidently.

And by the way, do you have even a plain telephone? Because that's a "form of apparatus to filter communication", as is the pen you use to write a letter to send it via snail-mail.

I don't mean this response to be snippy, though it may sound that way. It's just that there were people at the start of the telephone era (a hundred-plus years ago) who were adamant about how they wouldn't touch such things. The Amish about summed it up:

...Old Order Mennonite and Amish people had grave misgivings about the impact of telephony. One Mennonite man recalls an elderly father scolding, "There goes the devil's wires."

Rip those wires out of your house, my brother!

Edited by Stargazer

During GC when a speaker said something about putting down phones and not text messaging, I looked over at our Exec Sec who was banging away on his black berry. He children are largely inactive and he maintains a good communication with them.

I used to text and call friends during sacrement, I did this just to make sure their ringers were off.

To quote Jar-Jar: HOW RUDE! :db:

I hope you didn't stop doing this, however, because if they had their phones in sacrament meeting, then they needed the reminder.

I have a smart phone, and use it for scriptures and so on. I am one of about ten or so in my ward who use their smartphones for this purpose. But my ward has a rather larger contingent of over-60's than some others I've heard of, where half the congregation take smart phones to church and use them for scriptures. I have even used mine for taking notes in church, about what is said in lessons and talks, though my wife has gotten upset with me because it might look like I was tweeting or texting or something.

I did blog once from Fast and Testimony Meeting, using my smart phone:

Is It OK to Blog from Church?

Since I couldn't bear my testimony in the meeting -- too many waiting to do so -- I blogged a short testimony. I am not sure it was evil to blog from church in this case. Perhaps others might feel differently.

General Conference this weekend, and I will be sure to tweet my observations about it from my home, where we will be watching it. I hope Storm Rider doesn't mind too much. :-)

Edited by Stargazer

When I gave my mother's day talk I texted "I love you mom and I'm texting this while giving a sacrament meeting talk." She thought I was lying but I read the text to the whole congregation and sent it.

My friend who works at the Ensign said the first text sent while giving a SM talk did not warrant an article. :(

When I gave my mother's day talk I texted "I love you mom and I'm texting this while giving a sacrament meeting talk." She thought I was lying but I read the text to the whole congregation and sent it.

My friend who works at the Ensign said the first text sent while giving a SM talk did not warrant an article. :sad:

Maybe Guiness would be more interested.

I think we'll find leadership and membership perception to this change through the next few years. I remember a time when even bringing a cell phone in the sacrament room was frowned upon. I know some get upset when you're on it in meetings but people have to understand these things have our calendar on them, contacts, etc.. I'm on it almost all the time for very valid reasons, both in church meetings, sacrament, what have you. I think the key is teaching people to be responsible, YES turn the d* ringer off or put on vibrate, that's a no brainer. I love ...LOVE it when I hear Crazy Train by Ozzy Osborne go off during sacrament while the 40 year old is fishing for it in panic! rofl I'm joking, its very annoying but when they have a stupid ringer like that its only deserving that they be embarrassed. Or are they? =\

My friend who works at the Ensign said the first text sent while giving a SM talk did not warrant an article. :sad:

Oh Nehor! What a great son you are! :D (funny too!)

I no understanding whatsoever for anyone to be on their cell phone, computer or anything else while in church, in their car, in any meetings, in any type of class, in the bathroom, in their bedroom, livingroom, dining room, home, office, bus stop, bank, restaurant, fast food outlet, or any other place where humans dwell or may interact with one another.

...he posted on a message board.

This is great.

I will sometimes text a clerk or ***'t executive secretary during Sacrament meeting. Occasionally, there are people with whom I need to speak who have not been to church for some time. When I see them walk in, I'll ask for someone to make contact so we can visit later during the meeting block. If I don't see someone who is to give the closing prayer in the congregation, I'll ask that another be found to fill in. Sometimes I need to give a reminder to count attendance.

We have several brethren with tablet computers. It is unfair that they can look up a scripture reference in half the time it takes me to find the correct chapter in my analogue quad.

My participation in class has suffered.

:help: