'Most Important' Religious Freedom Case

Nathair/|\

The Obama administration's Department of Justice surprised both the supporters of Perich's claim and the supporters of Hosanna-Tabor's position. It's lawyers argued in their federal response brief that because discrimination laws are "neutral and generally applicable laws" they apply to religious organizations.

My question is whether or not this will be applied to both paid and volunteer ministers. If just paid, then the solution would seem to me to be to separate out necessary 'hired' duties from ministerial duties and have the latter be volunteer.

If the Court agrees with the DoJ, could this mean that there could be grounds for a woman to bring a suit against the LDS Church for not 'hiring' her as a bishop?

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/700182069/Most-important-religious-freedom-case.html

I am concerned what this could lead to if the state has the power to chose ministers.

The state can question the sincerity of your religious beliefs.

I think you are taking the context of this case too far. What concerns me is what this case could mean for self proclaimed Jesus followers to circumvent the law, and mistreat their cough cough ministers.

It is also very concerning that self proclaimed followers of Jesus are saying "we do not care you are ill, get thee hence, we will do nothing for you, oh and by the way....nana nana booboo you can't sue us."

So much for following Jesus see Matthew 5.

While I agree that the State should not step in on cases of missionaries, Bishops, etc. roles that are clearly ministerial but to claim a teacher who happens to teach a religious class a few times week is a ministers, is just someone trying to weasel out having to provide something. Being a weasel is the nature of the Law in the United States.

I think you are taking the context of this case too far. What concerns me is what this case could mean for self proclaimed Jesus followers to circumvent the law, and mistreat their cough cough ministers.

It is also very concerning that self proclaimed followers of Jesus are saying "we do not care you are ill, get thee hence, we will do nothing for you, oh and by the way....nana nana booboo you can't sue us."

I agree that is a significant problem but for me it is like a hurricane compared to a worldwide zombie apocalypse. Certainly nobody in the case acted ethically from my standpoint, but the legal ramifications are potentially far more disastrous.

What concerns me is what this case could mean for self proclaimed Jesus followers to circumvent the law, and mistreat their cough cough ministers.

Not quite what happened:

The school thought it would be best have her resign her call in what they call a peaceful release. The school offered to pay part of her insurance — all with an eye to giving her a new call if she was better the next school year.

Not quite what happened:

you left out some key points,

Perich said her doctor cleared her for work by February 2005.

The school thought it would be best have her resign her call in what they call a peaceful release.

The school offered to pay part of her insurance — all with an eye to giving her a new call if she was better the next school year.

Perich didn't like this and threatened to take legal action for discrimination under the Americans with Disabilities Act.

The idea of a "commissioned minister" saying she might sue the tiny church and school was too much for the school's leaders.

After hearing both sides, the Hosanna-Tabor congregation voted 40 to 11 to rescind Perich's call.

Archived