Seriously No Politics ×

Sister Missionary Dies In Ny Auto Accident

BCSpace

Mormon Missionary Killed In Two-car Crash In Lisbon

OGDENSBURG - An Arizona woman is dead after a two-car accident on Route 37 Tuesday afternoon, according to state police.

Natalie Love, 21, Hemet, Calif., was driving a 2011 Subaru westbound when she attempted to make a left-hand turn onto Sports Club Road. Ms. Love failed to yield the right of way to a 2005 Jeep Liberty, which was traveling from the opposite direction. The Jeep struck the Subaru directly on the passenger side.

Ms. Love's passenger, Vanessa Bentley, 22, Tucson, Ariz., was taken to Claxton-Hepburn Medical Center and later flown by Life Flight to Fletcher Allen Medical Center in Vermont, where she died.

Ms. Love was taken to Claxton-Hepburn Medical Center for non-life threatening injuries

The driver of the Jeep, Nora McDonald, 49, Madrid, was taken to Claxton-Hepburn Medical Center for complaints of pain.

Investigators said there were side air bags, but it was a direct hit on the passenger door.

Ted Champagne, branch president of Odgensburg's Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, said Ms. Bentley had only lived in the north country for three weeks before the accident.

"The church is devastated," Mr. Champagne said.

When the accident occurred, Ms. Bentley and Ms. Love, who shared an Ogdensburg apartment, were visiting members of the community who are curious about the church, he said.

Mr. Champagne said Ms. Bentley completed missionary training in Salt Lake City before being assigned to Utica for her mission work.

Her job in Ogdensburg was to the preach the gospel and provide spiritual assistance to less active members, he said.

Lisbon Fire and Rescue and Ogdensburg Rescue responded to the scene.

Made me think of how my cousin, John, was driving down a narrow road several years ago and got hit head on by a truck, killing my cousin and his sister, Miriam, who was sitting in the passenger seat. I can't imagine how that would feel to be the driver. If a missionary in my ward died, that would really be upsetting. Those poor people.

My son was hit by a driver under the same conditions, not yielding while making a left turn. Thankfully he was in a big hulk of a pickup my dad had given him (when he was 15, before he could even drive...needless to say, his dad got his own car for a year), totaled the pickup though no one was hurt.

I remember the sick feeling, it was also the first and only time I believe my son ever had to take a sleeping pill to get to sleep, he was so shaken up. I cannot imagine what it would have been like if it had been more severe, let alone a fatal injury. Her parents must be in so much pain right now...and her missionary companion....beyond agony. I am so grateful knowing that the Comforter can help us endure all.

Archived